What to LOOK for to see if drop-in coil is burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
I know for the most part your suppose to be able to taste the “burnt” taste but to be honest that’s only happened 1 for me, I have been looking inside of the coil and if the cotton looks dark then I change it. But I realized clear juices don’t really turn the cotton dark, but I have noticed the steel wire turns black (burnt looking I suppose) and crusty looking almost. But my flavor never really changes. I know this isn’t a big deal but I do not want to inhale off of a something that may be burnt. THANKS for all the inputs!

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
Wick turning dark and coils turning black is normal over time. The only way to tell if a coil needs to be replaced is by the way the vapor tastes.
Interesting, Thanks. If that’s the case I’ve probably thrown out 10-15 good coils haha. Why does a coil turn dark if it’s not burnt and your vaping clear juices? Seems odd.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
From my understanding, the reason the coil turns dark even with clear juice is that the coils will burn a little bit of juice as it cools down after being fired. When you let off the fire button the coils start to cool down and do not have enough heat to vaporize the liquid but enough heat to overheat the liquid left on the coil surface, and this causes the crusty looking dark layer to form on the metal.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
From my understanding, the reason the coil turns dark even with clear juice is that the coils will burn a little bit of juice as it cools down after being fired. When you let off the fire button the coils start to cool down and do not have enough heat to vaporize the liquid but enough heat to overheat the liquid left on the coil surface, and this causes the crusty looking dark layer to form on the metal.
Ahh ok, makes sense. So then you must not vape that gunk next time you reheat it but instead it accumulates more as you continue to vape and it off fire button over and over?

• Agree
Reactions: chellie

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ahh ok, makes sense. So then you must not vape that gunk next time you reheat it but instead it accumulates more as you continue to vape and it off fire button over and over?

Exactly, it builds up over time.

In a RBA you can just remove your cotton and burn the gunk off, but in drop in coils it will just continue to build up. I have seen some that had a whole lot of build up, almost to the point it was starting to cut off the airflow through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread