Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
you would need to know the grams/ml of everything
Only if you are neurotic about extremely minute variances. Personally I am positive I can't taste a .003 difference. The juice calculator covers all of that for me. Some don't mind clean up, I do. To each their own.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
cost of syringes, paper towels, time itself
I see. I just wanted to ask so i could see if it really would save me more, but I don't think it will in my case.

I personally don't use paper towels when mixing my juice, never needed to. I mix on a cheap place mat and wash off any dips or drops that may have occured.

Making a 250ml batch doesn't take long at all, usually about 5-10 minutes (depending on the complexity of the recipe) from getting the supplies out to finishing rinsing out the supplies.

The syringes I get are either free (expired from the pharmacy my wife works at which are still perfectly useable for mixing juices) or if I need to buy one, they are like 20-30 cents each and last a long time if you put tape over the markings so you don't wash them off.

So I guess I just don't have the same problems with mixing by volume as you did. Not saying your doing anything wrong or anything. It just seems that volume mixing suit me well, and weight mixing suits you well. And there is nothing wrong with that.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Only if you are neurotic about extremely minute variances. Personally I am positive I can't taste a .003 difference. The juice calculator covers all of that for me. Some don't mind clean up, I do. To each their own.

So you just assume the same weight for all ingredients?

juice calculator

Nope, I have two. One on my phone I sometimes use (kind of hate it due to ads and some limitations) and one I developed myself for Windows computers. My calculator allows up to 3 different nic sources, and 10 flavors per recipe. Allows you to save an unlimited number of ingredients, then select them from a drop lists to make recipes, so you don't have to enter the values each time. It also allows you to save/load recipes, which makes it really easy to tweak recipes if you want to change a detail.

Although BOTH of these calculate by volume, not weight.

Reactions: stols001

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
I was fine with the measuring, nt so much with added clean up time. Now all I have to do is rinse a beaker. Not washing or replacing syringes/pipettes is a boon. Also saves paper towels. The only time I use a syringe is when adding nic to my base. I make my base 600ml at a time.

mixing by weight is defiantly the way to do but then again that is how I have done it since I started

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If they are just wanting to know what to transfer juice from a mixing container to a storage container, then my previous post is N/A and I have no good suggestions since I mix in my final storage container.

Oh, I wasn't referring to your post at all. You told her how you avoid a possible mess...you mix directly into your eliquid bottle. :) I was just noticing the seemingly inevitable posts that pop up about mixing by weight vs. mixing by volume...even though an OP's question wasn't about that at all. Most times that just pretty much then derails an OP's thread into a sort of debate, or " ___ing match" of sorts...as to which is supposedly better than the other and why...just like this thread has evolved into that.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Oh, I wasn't referring to your post at all. You told her how you avoid a possible mess...you mix directly into your eliquid bottle. :) I was just noticing the seemingly inevitable posts that pop up about mixing by weight vs. mixing by volume...even though an OP's question wasn't about that at all. Most times that just pretty much then derails an OP's thread into a sort of debate, or " ___ing match" of sorts...as to which is supposedly better than the other and why...just like this thread has evolved into that.
You know, when this type of thing happens, I now just laugh because it is always going to go to one vs the other. Personally, I have tried both and I prefer volume mixing probably because that is how I learned to diy. But really, it matters not to me which one anyone chooses to use, so let them choose their preferences(not speaking just to you or anyone in particular, just in general). Now the matter of just answering an OP post is what people should be concerned with. Remember, new members have a boat load of info to absorb anyway so why load them down with stuff they are not even asking? So once again, I just laugh and usually don't comment either way.

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Last time I made my base, I did it in cups. Since I use about 10% flavoring, I just decided to calculate it in my head. I was like 10%? BASE TEN for CUPS and like, so I put in two cups of VG nic, 2 cups of VG, and 5 cups of PEG400. It was super satisfying, somehow. Since I'm usually adding a smidge of 12 mg WTA to my mix, I figured 20 mg of nic was just totally fine.

I am also of the measure once, mark everything else persuasion these days. I don't like mixing by weight cuz I gotta use funnels, and then I overpour and it's like a tragic mess, so I just have started making it easy for me.

I figure I'm more likely to mix if it doesn't become the afternoon circus. For the most part, my mixes have stayed reasonably the same, certainly enough to not complain about. I don't need to be the "How things Work" of mixologists with giant barrels and pistons and whatnot although I wouldn't mind the guy's soothing soundtrack as I mix. "The mixologist first considers how to make a base. Using a metal mixing cup,. she considers her math. First, she pours some defrosted nicotine... " etc. That would be very cool.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@Letitia,
when you hit reply to a post on the upper right hand corner you will see an editor. The inbedding is within the brb script. Reply to necro's post and look.

ever done any programming?
No. Not that big a deal, just like the option. Thanks for the tip.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Just an FYI, I did a little digging and here are some tips/notes on converting ml to grams for those that want to try it.

PG = 1.034g/ml
VG = 1.259g/ml
For flavors, just use the base value for PG or VG whichever the flavor is made of...OR measure each one for accuracy.

Pure Nic = 1.01g/ml
To calc nic base weight:
1ml of 100mg/ml nic = 10% nic (1.01) + 90% base either PG or VG
Ex using PG: (.1 * 1.01) + (.9 * 1.034) = 1.0316g/ml
Ex using VG: (.1 * 1.01) + (.9 * 1.259) = 1.24655g/ml

(NOTE for PG: Checking multiple MSDS Sheets and Sites I found values ranging from 1.030 to 1.038 so I just took the median)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread