Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm not sure which mods can handle dual coils and which can't. A lot of them say they can, but I'm not so sure that they're being fully honest about that.

I don't care about VV. Just a simple 3.7V mod is fine. I just want something that can handle the EMDCC well. So far, my Ego batts will run an EMDCC fine, but afterwards will have trouble charging back up (even if I specially don't let the battery run down very far before charging).

So, a mod has 2 places to fail with dual coil cartos. One is the wiring and switch. The other is the battery. If I find a mod that has an adequate switch, maybe I should use high drain batteries with it to handle the drain of dual coils?

Any advice appreciated.

Also, price is definitely an issue! Otherwise, I would just buy a Provari and be done with it!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
OK. So while ya'll are thinking about how to answer this question, let me ramble a little about my own thoughts (and bump this up so you don't forget the question).

I had been thinking about getting the Bolt. It is cheap enough. But, I just don't like it. After seeing the Telescope that GotVapes has/had/will have, I realize that I just don't really want that style mod right now. What I like most about the Telescope is the top of it, the way it tapers in and has that deep well around the connection which will make an EMDCC or a Stardust fit on so nicely (without an adapter).

My primary concern originally was that it was purely mechanical and, therefore, has no thin little wires to malfunction under the stress of dual coils. And, of course, it's just really cool looking and can use any size batteries.

But, once GotVapes pulled the mod because of safety issues and I went back to looking at the Bolt again, I finally realized that I just don't really want that form factor right now. I don't want a tube with a flat top. I'm tired of just worrying about what works and just making do.

Now, I can't afford a Provari. I really can't afford the Telescope even. But, I could scrape together the money for one if I really try.

Assuming I manage to scrape together the money and assuming that they do get the safety issues taken care of and make them available again (and aren't sold out before I can snatch one), the only issue will be which batteries should I use.

Since it's not VV, it should take regular li-on batteries. But, I'm thinking that maybe I should use IMR batteries instead because dual coil or any extremely LR cartos are by their nature high drain. That's why, even though my Ego batteries will work with the EMDCC, they have trouble sometimes taking a charge afterwards. So, I'm worried that the regular li-on batteries may have the same issue and wear out too fast.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

Thanks for the thought. However, if I could afford THOSE mods, I wouldn't even be asking the question.

I just want a cheap mod that will run an EMDCC at 3.4 to 3.7 V without frying the switch or over-draining the battery to the point that it won't re-charge.

If I can get ahold of the Telescope, it should certainly do the job. But, if I can't manage that, I'll probably start trying the really cheap mods, like the Indulgence V4 or the Bolt. Either that or just give up on dual coils and just forget about the whole thing.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

appletux

Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
I'm not sure which mods can handle dual coils and which can't. A lot of them say they can, but I'm not so sure that they're being fully honest about that.

I don't care about VV. Just a simple 3.7V mod is fine. I just want something that can handle the EMDCC well. So far, my Ego batts will run an EMDCC fine, but afterwards will have trouble charging back up (even if I specially don't let the battery run down very far before charging).

So, a mod has 2 places to fail with dual coil cartos. One is the wiring and switch. The other is the battery. If I find a mod that has an adequate switch, maybe I should use high drain batteries with it to handle the drain of dual coils?

Any advice appreciated.

Also, price is definitely an issue! Otherwise, I would just buy a Provari and be done with it!

My advice: Don't use dual coils. You need to drain more battery current to get just a fraction of power output compared to single coils.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all about the ability to supply high current at rated voltage. A 1.5 ohm DCC will pull 2.4 amps at 3.7 volts and provide a 9 watt vape. The eGo batteries are rated at 2.5 amps. With a dual coil, you are at max with a 3.7v eGo. With the 3.3v PWM eGo, you are pulling only 2.26 amps, farther below the cutoff threshold, but the wattage is around 7.

A VV mod with a 3 ohm coil carto or carto tank is better all the way around. You can up the voltage and still be in the mid to upper range. I like 3 ohm cartos at 4.2v and sometimes lower. 4.2v at 3 ohms pulls 1.4 amps and gives you a 6 watt vape. At 5.25v and 3 ohms you get a 9 watt vape and 1.75 amps current draw.

This is why most people choose variable voltage devices and higher voltage for high watt vaping. All that said, I also use a 1.5 ohm DCC tank with my 1000mah eGo batteries and they vape just fine. It's a small package and a good vape, but it will shorten the life of a battery and related electronics that are operating at max current.

A good, low priced tradeoff would be the eGo Twist with a 3 ohm carto tank running in the 4v to 5v range. If you use a mod with replaceable batteries you would be better off using IMR high drain instead of Li-ion. They are safer and can handle 10 amps or more intermittently without issues. Li-ions don't like to be heated up. They can break over into vent mode when pushed too far.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have already blown off 510 dual coils. But, I really like the EMDCC.

Since it's only the EMDCC that I'm impressed by and not the 510 DC, I'm thinking I need to look into just plain old SC Ego cartos (either LR on my Ego batts or SR with higher voltage).

IOW, it's probably not so much the DC aspect of the EMDCC, but actually the simple fact that it's bigger that makes the difference (a huge amount of vapor).

I know they make SR SC Ego cartos. But, do they make LR SC Ego cartos? And, if so, where can I get them? Have I just been so uninterested that I looked right past them and not noticed? Even the SR SC Ego cartos don't seem very common. They're just not the cool, popular thing right now.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
If you use a mod with replaceable batteries you would be better off using IMR high drain instead of Li-ion. They are safer and can handle 10 amps or more intermittently without issues. Li-ions don't like to be heated up. They can break over into vent mode when pushed too far.

Very good to know!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

appletux

Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
Just found an eGo Cone 1.7 Ohm Cartomizer at MadVapes. Question is: Is this just as bad on batteries as the dual coil since it's 1.7 ohm?

I'm really looking for 2 ohm up to maybe 2.5 ohm.

A dual coil needs more battery draining than a single LR coil to get just the same power output. Even using LR single coils is better than using dual coils.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
It's all about the ability to supply high current at rated voltage. A 1.5 ohm DCC will pull 2.4 amps at 3.7 volts and provide a 9 watt vape. The eGo batteries are rated at 2.5 amps. With a dual coil, you are at max with a 3.7v eGo. With the 3.3v PWM eGo, you are pulling only 2.26 amps, farther below the cutoff threshold, but the wattage is around 7.

A VV mod with a 3 ohm coil carto or carto tank is better all the way around. You can up the voltage and still be in the mid to upper range. I like 3 ohm cartos at 4.2v and sometimes lower. 4.2v at 3 ohms pulls 1.4 amps and gives you a 6 watt vape. At 5.25v and 3 ohms you get a 9 watt vape and 1.75 amps current draw.

This is why most people choose variable voltage devices and higher voltage for high watt vaping. All that said, I also use a 1.5 ohm DCC tank with my 1000mah eGo batteries and they vape just fine. It's a small package and a good vape, but it will shorten the life of a battery and related electronics that are operating at max current.

A good, low priced tradeoff would be the eGo Twist with a 3 ohm carto tank running in the 4v to 5v range. If you use a mod with replaceable batteries you would be better off using IMR high drain instead of Li-ion. They are safer and can handle 10 amps or more intermittently without issues. Li-ions don't like to be heated up. They can break over into vent mode when pushed too far.
OK. Just went ahead and put all that down on paper in just numbers and symbols, each on a separate line. Now it makes sense. Thank you. I think I'm starting to understand.

A dual coil needs more battery draining than a single LR coil to get just the same power output. Even using LR single coils is better than using dual coils.
I'm curious as to why. Do you mean that 1.6 ohm SC is less drain than 1.6 ohm DC?

But, either way I think it's time to start experimenting with higher resistance and higher voltage.

Dual coils was such a stupid invention!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had been using 1.5 ohm Smoktech dual coil cartos in several tanks on my 3.7 mods for a few months. I often got a burning taste despite care in keeping the juice delivery to the coils at optimal flow. I had read what folks were saying about dual coils being such a drain on batteries, and some people were saying you needed 4.8v to get optimal results with dual coils. So I made a decision to try some single coils about 2 weeks ago.

I've since converted most of my tanks to the 2.0 ohm Smoktech single coil cartos. I've noticed at least a moderate increase in battery life (14500 and 18650 IMR AW batteries on BB and Silver Bullet). Vapor production seems the same, if not better. Flavor seems the same, if not better. Best part is I haven't had one carto develop that bad burnt taste.

Glad I made the switch.

appletux

Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
OK. Then do you know where to get SC ego cartomizers, both standard and low resistance? So that I can still get the other benefits of the Ego cartomizer without the dual coil?

Try to use high resistances, 2.4 ~ 3.2 ohms, along with 4~6 volts capable device battery.
Why? because you'll get the same power output with lower currents, which means longer battery life, a safer vaping, more coils longevity , etc.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Some people prefer dual coils on 3.7v devices, the majority dont. I think dual coils are great for VV and higher voltage. For me they're flat out awesome above 12 watts, but not all mods can push them that high and battery drain might be a concern if you need a long time between charges or don't carry spare batts.

The VV Gripper is one mod that will push a dual coil to very high power. Results from my output testing:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../321386-gripper-discussion-5.html#post6950049
Scroll up for the full test results.

FWIW, you can get the EMDCC with a standard 510 thread without the eGo skirt. This eliminates the need for an adapter and gains a little fluid capacity (as if it didn't have enough already).

Also, to clear up any confusion...dual coils do not draw more current from the battery than a same ohm single coil. They do vape differently than single coils because the power is split between two coils. This is why many, myself included, like dual coils at significantly higher voltage power than a single coil. If you like dual coils over single coils, vape what you like. Don't let someone's opinion steer you away from what you like. With that being said, I'm a firm believe that you should try a variety of single and duals in different resistance to's find what you truely prefer.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Try to use high resistances, 2.4 ~ 3.2 ohms, along with 4~6 volts capable device battery.
Why? because you'll get the same power output with lower currents, which means longer battery life, a safer vaping, more coils longevity , etc.

Not true as a blanket statement. It depends on the type of regulator used in the device.

Please explain safer vaping and coil longevity. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread