What To Vape With a Chest Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Here's my dilemma. Years (2015 iirc) ago I'd been vaping for about a year when I got a nasty chest cold/infection. After about a week of trying everything from prescription cough meds to otc stuff that was supposed to break it up better I couldn't cough up the yuk beyond my throat. I felt like I was drowning many times. Out of desperation I smoked a menthol cigarette and started coughing up this florescent green flem that had the consistency, it seemed, of Styrofoam. For about 3 days that nasty stuff was coming up with a vengeance and I could get rid of it (don't want to sound gross here) by spitting it out or into a tissue if inside. It began to not come up fully again so....... Next thing you know I'm smoking again.
Fast forward to July 20th 2018 I smoked my last cigarette.

I work in the extreme heat about 9 hours a day but our office area is set to 68. I try to minimize my time in the office as much as possible because it's like getting hit with an ice hammer every time I go in and I believe that is why I've developed this chest cold I have.

I tried Mucinex D Friday and felt like a .... head all day but since it did nothing to break up the congestion I don't want to repeat taking it again, would rather try a vape flavor instead. I have some lime/menthol and some cinnamon apple that both make me cough like a fire fighter that forgot to put on his smoke gear but it's not quite a complete cough. I believe part of that is my newness to vaping (haven't gotten my lungs back) as juices like chocolates, fruits, etc that are a much milder draw don't cause me to cough but also don't help it feel like it's breaking up any either.

I don't feel like a cigarette is the answer and going to a doctor is only a last resort and only if I can't find a solution through vaping and lesser otc meds than the ones you have to show your drivers license to the pharmacist to buy.

I vape direct lung, subohm, different brand and model tanks using an Aegis Legend but I also have a Sourin Air I could use of y'all think mtl would help as it's usually a harsher hit for some reason or I could even break out my ancient Evod OGs on an iTaste 30 that got me vaping again.

Smoking again is not an option as I'm 54, done being owned by cigarettes, done sucking wind just walking up a flight of steps, done being a member of a dieing breed and done getting soaking wet every time it rains and I want to inhale nicotine.

In the winter the opposite will be true where I work for inside vs outside but I'm still gonna sweat like a drunk on the beach the day after a big binge (I used to be that guy too) so I know I'll be catching more colds than most non smokers (but not as many as I used to when I smoked) so I'm looking for something that will work more than this once.

Any tips, tricks, flavors, methods, etc y'all can recommend would be greatly appreciated and since my twin brother (United States on this forum) is a first time vaper I'll be sure and pif it to him since his work environment is very similar to mine.
Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Look chest colds are not caused by ambient temperatures, they just aren't. That is something of an old wives tale that was disproved like, in the 1950s. The old "wrap up tight to avoid a chest cold" that used to be spouted at kids is nonsense. If you are in severely cold temperatures and not adequately clothed, well, you might get frostbite but that is not the kind of temperatures you are describing, I'm very sorry.

In fact, jails hospitals and etc are usually kept cold to MINIMIZE the spread of germs and viruses and whatnot. You may need to judiciously keep a sweater around for indoors if you work is like that, it's what I used to do. But that's 100% not connected to your chest cold, which frankly sounds more like (at this point, and definitely the first time) bronchitis or pneumonia. Unless it's viral, (and sometimes you should STILL go see a doctor for that) an infection by bacteria (which oddly colored and especially GREEN phlegm would seem to indicate) needs to be treated by a medical professional.

They're not just there for when you are dying, and pneumonia HAS killed many a person.

I cannot in good conscience recommend vaping or any magic "OTC products" which may help a bit with getting through a common cold but not a secondary infection, and really they're more for treating symptoms and keeping you comfortable through a cold, not an actual CURE your body takes care of that, if and when it CAN, but if you get a secondary infection all best are off.

So, I guess vape unflavored since you can't tolerate anything else, so not point causing more irritation than you need to.

Also, go to the doctor. There is a reason life expectancy continually increases although yes, I agree, there are some bad things about medicine, there can be bad outcomes at times, and yes, prescription drugs are not always idea.

But for lung issues of the kind you are kind of oh-so-archly describing, all I can say is go see a doctor and the last thing I would be worried about would be "what can I vape, or will cigarettes cure me."

Cigarettes won't cure you, neither will the right type of vape, go see a medical professional for the love of all that is good and holy.

Anna

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Look chest colds are not caused by ambient temperatures, they just aren't. That is something of an old wives tale that was disproved like, in the 1950s. The old "wrap up tight to avoid a chest cold" that used to be spouted at kids is nonsense. If you are in severely cold temperatures and not adequately clothed, well, you might get frostbite but that is not the kind of temperatures you are describing, I'm very sorry.

In fact, jails hospitals and etc are usually kept cold to MINIMIZE the spread of germs and viruses and whatnot. You may need to judiciously keep a sweater around for indoors if you work is like that, it's what I used to do. But that's 100% not connected to your chest cold, which frankly sounds more like (at this point, and definitely the first time) bronchitis or pneumonia. Unless it's viral, (and sometimes you should STILL go see a doctor for that) an infection by bacteria (which oddly colored and especially GREEN phlegm would seem to indicate) needs to be treated by a medical professional.

They're not just there for when you are dying, and pneumonia HAS killed many a person.

I cannot in good conscience recommend vaping or any magic "OTC products" which may help a bit with getting through a common cold but not a secondary infection, and really they're more for treating symptoms and keeping you comfortable through a cold, not an actual CURE your body takes care of that, if and when it CAN, but if you get a secondary infection all best are off.

So, I guess vape unflavored since you can't tolerate anything else, so not point causing more irritation than you need to.

Also, go to the doctor. There is a reason life expectancy continually increases although yes, I agree, there are some bad things about medicine, there can be bad outcomes at times, and yes, prescription drugs are not always idea.

But for lung issues of the kind you are kind of oh-so-archly describing, all I can say is go see a doctor and the last thing I would be worried about would be "what can I vape, or will cigarettes cure me."

Cigarettes won't cure you, neither will the right type of vape, go see a medical professional for the love of all that is good and holy.

Anna
I know it's not the cold but being around my kids, my grandkids and others that are Petri dishes on a regular basis I'm more susceptible because I'm friggin tired. Eating right, vitamins, etc help along with getting as much rest as possible but 55 hour high stress work weeks along family life have me wiped right now. There's no color but it just won't completely cough up. In the past I wrote of in the first post when it was that green Styrofoam that was after a dose of antibiotics and prescription cough medicine and 2 trips to my doctor.
I'm either gonna vape or I'm gonna smoke, sick or not sick. I'm not looking for something to keep me from getting sick but more what is suggestions for when I am sick.
I've always struggled with sinus issues so post nasal drip coughs are not new or abnormal to me. Smoking for 40+ years,a hacking cough in the morning is nothing new to me. Having a chest cold is something I get maybe twice a year at most. I was just hoping there's a flavor that helps bring up the phlegm a little better.
I lift and move heavy objects all day so dressing when it's 5f and not getting overheated is an adventure sometimes. Add in some days it's pulling orders in the snow/cold rain makes it even more fun. Dressing for the high heat and humidity is also another adventure.
Thank y'all for your input.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
When I used to get sinus infections as a kid and postnasal drip, they finally gave me Flonase. It was prescription at the time, but it's now over the counter. It does actually work, so if post nasal drip is what is causing your chest congestion, that might be an OTC thing that actually works.

It was rather miraculous for me, and I'm quite sure that it stopped many a sinus infection, and when I was at my 3 ppd point and having tons of symptoms from pneumonia, it did help slightly.

It takes about a week or so to know if it will have efficacy and it's worked for more than allergies, I knew a smoker who had such bad sinus stuff, he had his sinuses "cleaned out" which sounded dreadful.

Thanks for providing more info. That is one thing that I can in good conscience say worked for both me and my kid (we both have allergies). IDK if it will help in your situation but it's fairly harmless as far as I know, it's been around forever to the point that it achieved like, OTC status.

If it winds up working, if you have a Costco or Sam's membership they will sell you 12 months worth for the price of one month's worth at any pharmacy.

I certainly don't know if it would work for all the issues you are facing, but-- it might.

Anna

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
When I used to get sinus infections as a kid and postnasal drip, they finally gave me Flonase. It was prescription at the time, but it's now over the counter. It does actually work, so if post nasal drip is what is causing your chest congestion, that might be an OTC thing that actually works.

It was rather miraculous for me, and I'm quite sure that it stopped many a sinus infection, and when I was at my 3 ppd point and having tons of symptoms from pneumonia, it did help slightly.

It takes about a week or so to know if it will have efficacy and it's worked for more than allergies, I knew a smoker who had such bad sinus stuff, he had his sinuses "cleaned out" which sounded dreadful.

Thanks for providing more info. That is one thing that I can in good conscience say worked for both me and my kid (we both have allergies). IDK if it will help in your situation but it's fairly harmless as far as I know, it's been around forever to the point that it achieved like, OTC status.

If it winds up working, if you have a Costco or Sam's membership they will sell you 12 months worth for the price of one month's worth at any pharmacy.

I certainly don't know if it would work for all the issues you are facing, but-- it might.

Anna
I keep some Flonase in the cupboard. Thank you for reminding me.
In 2016 I was getting so dizzy I was losing my food if you know what I mean and I went to the doctor who showed me a picture of some valve between the nose and ear . The name of the condition is about a paragraph long but layman's terms it's that valve was stuck on my left side. He put me on antibiotics, some otc decongestant I don't remember the name of, flonase and a months prescription of blood pressure meds to counter what he said the otc stuff was gonna do to my bp. I'm borderline need to be on it anyway but keep a check on things. Whenever that valve starts acting up I do the flonase only for a few days. Never considered it for my cough lol. My bp has only dropped a couple points (used to average mid to upper 70s, now mostly mid 70s) on the bottom number but I hope in time it'll drop further since I'm not smoking . My resting heart rate has already dropped about 5bpm and I can actually swim 100 meters instead of 25, stop,25, stop,25 stop, 25 gasp for air the last few strokes.
Thanks again.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
Robitussin DM is great for any kind of congestion and it doesn't make you drowsy. You might try asking your GP for an albuterol inhaler. I have used these inhalers for asthma but they are awesome for congestion cause by flu or colds and for general shortness of breath, and doctors are prescribing them for these things now days.

I also second the menthol flavored e-juice. Exhale through your nose and your sinuses will get a hit as well as your lungs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had subclinical asthma as a kid and never had to do the albuterol thing until I started approaching COPD from my 3 ppd habit. By then though, whatever med was out there my docs were prescribing. They were also BEGGING me to quit at every appointment. It was moderately helpful for opening my airway and allowing me to continue smoking, but all the begging and the desire to not drown slowly in my own lung secretions finally got to me.

It's helpful at opening airways so if yours is kind of environmental I could see it helping. I do think you need to see a doc about all this stuff probably, and albuterol does raise your heart rate.

Ideally, I guess you could do this in conjunction with experimenting some with vape and eliquids, in case PART of the problem, environmentally, is your vape. I would be shocked if going back to smoking would be better over the long run-- it's smoking.

I can't remember if you tried nicotine salts, but some formulations are very smooth and non irritative to the lungs. When I started DIY I used nic salts because my entire respiratory system was torn up due to my 3 ppd habit. It did really help me for a while, although I can handle freebase now. Etc.

Anna

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
Another thing about albuterol is that it can cause headaches. I take a single hit and not the three hits my doctor recommends. This way I avoid the headaches and one hit gets the job done fine and lets me cough up whats there and breathe again. It has the same effect as smoking - opens things up again and takes away that tightness in the chest that you can get after putting down the cigarettes by relaxing your lungs a bit. Talk to your doc. There might be an alternative inhaler that you can use with your BP issues.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
I had subclinical asthma as a kid and never had to do the albuterol thing until I started approaching COPD from my 3 ppd habit. By then though, whatever med was out there my docs were prescribing. They were also BEGGING me to quit at every appointment. It was moderately helpful for opening my airway and allowing me to continue smoking, but all the begging and the desire to not drown slowly in my own lung secretions finally got to me.

It's helpful at opening airways so if yours is kind of environmental I could see it helping. I do think you need to see a doc about all this stuff probably, and albuterol does raise your heart rate.

Ideally, I guess you could do this in conjunction with experimenting some with vape and eliquids, in case PART of the problem, environmentally, is your vape. I would be shocked if going back to smoking would be better over the long run-- it's smoking.

I can't remember if you tried nicotine salts, but some formulations are very smooth and non irritative to the lungs. When I started DIY I used nic salts because my entire respiratory system was torn up due to my 3 ppd habit. It did really help me for a while, although I can handle freebase now. Etc.

Anna
Actually I was thinking something that would irritate my lungs enough to make me cough, like a menthol cigarette used to do.
I'm gonna give it a couple of more days then if things aren't turning around any go see my pcp. I think it's just run down from the hours and the heat but it could be infection as well though there's no color and no fever.
Couple of truck drivers I talked to today said after about a month of not smoking they both developed a dry cough that eventually became productive. Neither of them vaped (or vape now) so theirs may be a different although they were both my age and quit within the last 2 years so they too were looking time smokers.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Dr-Batty-cigarettes.jpg

Anna

• Love
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know.. Sometimes I wish I lived in Patent Medicine times. My life might have been shorted, but I'm betting it would have been Exciting! Thrilling! So much "medicine" to kill me! Etc.

Laura Ingalls Wilder books didn't help that much in that regard though. I will say the scenes about going to buy penny candy were a bit... .I mean, horehound? That's supposed to be something you want to eat? Apparently not, because I've never encountered it in real life, anywhere.

Also, apparently there's a lot of work involved in being a.... whatever the heck that family did, a little bit of everything ,seemingly.

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I mean, horehound? That's supposed to be something you want to eat? Apparently not, because I've never encountered it in real life, anywhere.
Anna, if you've ever had a Ricola, or a Luden's Honey(I think?), cough drop; you've had horehound. If you want to try DIYing with it; TFA offers a horehound concentrate (it is Ricola through and through; it also makes a half way decent "bitters" addition to boozy recipes).;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a ricola in my mouth right now, as it happens. I get dry mouth plus I think ALL my vapes taste better with ricola, but I always thought it was the menthol.

I may check into that flavor, although I'm not like 100% sure about the merits of old tyme candy now. I may have to "investigate further."

We'll see. Right now I want Cherry Ripe something fierce, that is the best candy created on earth but it's from Aus. I mean, I know a store that sells it here, even, but they sell that stuff like it were priced similarly to gold ingots.

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
but I always thought it was the menthol.
Horehound (the concentrate) is basically a licorice(y), anise(y), sassafras(y), herbal type of flavor, that is lightly mentholated. Since you like the "Ricola" affect; I could see horehound being in your wheelhouse. :)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread