• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Type of Christian Are You? Take the Test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
What Type of Christian Are You? Take the Test!
globe_mes_davereagan.jpg
By Dr. David R. Reagan
What type of Christian are you? Cultural? Born Again? Evangelical?

Cultural? — A Barna Group research survey revealed that America's churches are full of cultural Christians. Such people have grown up in Christianity, they attend church regularly, and they profess to be Christians. What distinguishes them from other Christians is their lack of a personal relationship with Jesus. In short, they are Christians in name only because they have never been born again.
Former President Jimmy Carter was the one who made American's conscious of the term "born again Christian." That is the label he applied to himself in 1976 when he was campaigning for the presidency. I remember how many Christian leaders rushed to the press to proclaim that they were not "one of those born again types." I found their protestations very interesting in view of the fact that Jesus Himself said that no one can enter Heaven unless they are born again (John 3:3).
The cultural Christian is just that — a person who considers himself to be a Christian because he has been raised in a Christian culture. Al Gore is a good example. He was raised in a Southern Baptist heritage, but during his presidential campaign, he made it clear that Christianity was only his "faith heritage" and nothing more. The cultural Christian, if he has any commitment at all, is committed to religion or a church, and not to Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior. Such a person is unsaved.

Born Again? — The Barna Group defines the next step up as the "born again Christian." These are people who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior and who believe that salvation is dependent upon their relationship with Jesus. These people are saved.

Evangelical? — Barna defines the highest level of Christian commitment to be the "evangelical Christian." This is a born again person who strongly holds to certain fundamental biblical truths. Only 7% of Americans qualify as evangelicals, as opposed to 41% who could be classified as born again.
What are you? Could you qualify as an evangelical Christian? Take the test below to find out!

"What Type of Christian are You?" Test

1. The universe was originally created by God.
    True/False
  2. There are some crimes or sins which people might commit which cannot be forgiven by God.
    True/False
  3. You, personally, have a responsibility to tell other people your religious beliefs.
    True/False
  4. Angels exist and influence people's lives.
    True/False
  5. The Bible teaches that God helps those who help themselves.
    True/False
  6. When He lived on earth, Jesus was human and committed sins.
    True/False
  7. The Bible is totally accurate in all of its teachings.
    True/False
  8. It doesn't matter what religious faith you follow because they all teach the same lessons.
    True/False
  9. The whole idea of sin is outdated.
    True/False
  10. All people will experience the same outcome after death, regardless of their religious beliefs.
    True/False
  11. If a person is generally good, or does enough good things for others, they will earn a place in Heaven.
    True/False
  12. The devil, or Satan, is not a living being but is a symbol of evil.
    True/False
  13. After He was crucified and died, Jesus did not return to life physically.
    True/False
  14. The Holy Spirit is a symbol of God's presence or power but is not a living entity.
    True/False

Biblical Answers
1) True; 2) False (True if considering blasphemying the Holy Spirit — Matt. 12:32); 3) True; 4) True; 5) False; 6) False; 7) True; 8) False; 9) False; 10) False; 11) False; 12) False; 13) False; 14) False

Results
Good News — The Americans who were polled, whether Christian or not, strongly agreed on three biblical points.

1. Almost 75% agreed that God created the universe — an incredible number when you consider all the evolutionist propaganda we are bombarded with daily.
  2. Almost 70% rejected the idea that sin is an outdate concept — another incredible response when you consider the "different strokes for different folks" mentality that seems to predominate today.
  3. Not surprisingly, 50% stated that they believed in the reality of angels and their influence (I guess we can thank old shows like "Touched by an Angel" and "Highway to Heaven").

Bad News
— The number of born again adults who held views contrary to the Bible was astonishing. Almost 70% agreed that the Bible teaches that God helps those who help themselves. Fifty-three percent denied the existence of the Holy Spirit as a person! Forty-seven percent stated that they did not believe in the existence of Satan. Thirty-one percent said they felt a good person could earn his way into heaven; 30% denied the physical resurrection of Jesus; and 24% said they thought Jesus had committed sins!

Solution
Such an abysmal lack of biblical knowledge about the fundamentals of the faith points to a famine of Bible study and preaching in the churches of America. People are obviously hearing inspirational ditties or warmed over homilies from the Reader's Digest.
We can be thankful that we are not saved by biblical knowledge but by a relationship with Jesus. But a lack of biblical knowledge stunts spiritual growth and opens people up to doctrinal heresies and cultic deception.
The churches of America need to stop focusing on entertaining people. They also need to stop tiptoeing through the tulips doctrinally for fear of being seeker insensitive. We need to get back to the Word of God, to the fundamentals of the faith, and we need to be willing to step on toes when necessary by confronting people with the truth of their sin and their need for repentance.
As Paul told Timothy, "Preach the Word!" (2 Timothy 4:2).

beartard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
The questions are a bit stilted and biased to a certain kind of Christianity (and one that would leave out most Christians before the 1800s). At least one of these questions, as written, leads to heresy either way you answer. For example, number six: The correct answer should be "Jesus was true God, true man, and sinless when he lived on Earth."

beartard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
The early Christians had that debate about 1800 years ago. Their answer was summed up in one of the early statements of faith:
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
--as printed in the Book of Common Prayer and Lutheran Book of Worship
The belief is that the Son is of one being or essence with the Father. In other words, the Son is as much God as the Father and the Spirit are God. The Incarnation (taking flesh) of the Son as Jesus didn't diminish that. So while Jesus was fully human, He was also fully God. The end result is that He was the perfect, sinless human being, as was the original intention for the first couple in the garden. More importantly, it wasn't solely a human being who suffered, died, resurrected, and ascended for us. It was God Himself.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I think you and I are trying to say the same thing. :)

John 10:28-38

28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

30 "I and My Father are one."

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him.

32 Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?"

33 The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods”’?
35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),
36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
38 but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”

(I added italics for emphasis)

Last edited:

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
I know this is an old thread, but it's still on the front page and it was my first time seeing it, so I hope you don't mind me bringing it back up.

I have a few problems with this "test". For one I thought that it would give results like a regular magazine test would, where it would tell you what the results of your personal answers were. Which is probably my fault because now I understand that it was more of a poll that was taken and this is just the published results.
Also, I thought it was interesting that #2 contradicts itself. "There are some crimes or sins which people might commit which cannot be forgiven by God." Which I was always taught was true, but the answer says it is "false unless you count this one sin". Well it's either true or false, how can it be both? I just don't understand why they said it is false and then in parenthesis says it's true.
I also think it would've been good to clarify how we should answer the questions. Am I supposed to pick the answer that I personally believe? Or the Bible answer? Or the answer that represents what I put into practice? Because sometimes those are 3 different answers.
The other question I found confusing is #10: "All people will experience the same outcome after death, regardless of their religious beliefs." I've always been taught that this was true. We all go to be judged and then end up where we end up. No matter what your beliefs are, no matter what religion or denomination. But the answer says it is false. Can someone explain that one to me?
And of course the one that was brought up earlier #6: "When He lived on earth, Jesus was human and committed sins." Which is (IMO) half true and half false, but overall it was false.

Anyway, thanks for the info and any insight you are able to provide :)

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I have a few problems with this "test". For one I thought that it would give results like a regular magazine test would, where it would tell you what the results of your personal answers were. Which is probably my fault because now I understand that it was more of a poll that was taken and this is just the published results.
Also, I thought it was interesting that #2 contradicts itself. "There are some crimes or sins which people might commit which cannot be forgiven by God." Which I was always taught was true, but the answer says it is "false unless you count this one sin". Well it's either true or false, how can it be both? I just don't understand why they said it is false and then in parenthesis says it's true.

As far as #2, except for blasphemy, all sins can be forgiven. Blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin.

I also think it would've been good to clarify how we should answer the questions.
Am I supposed to pick the answer that I personally believe?
Do your beliefs reflect His Word? Are they based on what you've been taught, or what you have prayed about and learned from His Word?

Or the Bible answer?
What does His word have to say?

Or the answer that represents what I put into practice? Because sometimes those are 3 different answers.
If you believe His Word is absolute, infallible, and the final authority, your third answer won't be an issue.

Jesus said in John 14:25-27
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

IMHO, there is no "score" for this "test". I can understand your confusion, though. I think the author was trying to demonstrate the difference between what many Christians believe, and what His Word actually says.

The other question I found confusing is #10: "All people will experience the same outcome after death, regardless of their religious beliefs." I've always been taught that this was true. We all go to be judged and then end up where we end up. No matter what your beliefs are, no matter what religion or denomination. But the answer says it is false. Can someone explain that one to me?
I think what he was trying to say is that all roads (or religions) don't lead to God. Jesus is the only way to our Heavenly Father.

Jesus says in John 14:6 " Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

And of course the one that was brought up earlier #6: "When He lived on earth, Jesus was human and committed sins." Which is (IMO) half true and half false, but overall it was false.
You're right. Jesus was human while He was on Earth, but he was without sin.

Hebrews 4:15
For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Anyway, thanks for the info and any insight you are able to provide.

IMHO, I think the author wrote the article to get Christians to think about who they are in Christ, and where they are in their growth as a Christian. I believe it's vital for every Christian to read their Bible daily which enables us to better understand Him and His Word, and apply His principles to our daily lives. If we don't understand what we read, God's got it covered! See above verse John 14:26.

I hope this helps you, Harmony. I don't claim to be a scholar, but my answers are my own experiences in my growth as a Christian. My faith is hard won, and precious to me. In all I do, all Glory, Honor, and Praise to belongs to my Heavenly Father.

Please feel free to post again. :)

God Bless you!
'T'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread