What type of cotton to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Sorry if this is in the wrong section; if it belongs in a different section please let me know and I'll remember for future posts.

Also sorry if this has been asked already too many times, but would like some current info.

Was just at the CVS and thought I'd look at cotton for wicking Kanger heads.

In the beauty supply section, they had the standard cotton balls, and the organic cotton balls although those say they have been whitened with hydrogen peroxide so how can they still be organic (lol).

In the bandage section they have "sterile" cotton balls, no information on package whether or not they are whitened.

What's the best cotton to use, or is there something else that's not listed here? I'd really hate to have to boil cotton balls just to wick my tank, so does that have to be done with all cotton?

I've been attempting microcoils trying to use silcon wick (I douse it with vg first to make it thin enough to get into the coil) but that's pretty difficult to do.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Sorry if this is in the wrong section; if it belongs in a different section please let me know and I'll remember for future posts.

Also sorry if this has been asked already too many times, but would like some current info.

Was just at the CVS and thought I'd look at cotton for wicking Kanger heads.

In the beauty supply section, they had the standard cotton balls, and the organic cotton balls although those say they have been whitened with hydrogen peroxide so how can they still be organic (lol).

In the bandage section they have "sterile" cotton balls, no information on package whether or not they are whitened.

What's the best cotton to use, or is there something else that's not listed here? I'd really hate to have to boil cotton balls just to wick my tank, so does that have to be done with all cotton?

I've been attempting microcoils trying to use silcon wick (I douse it with vg first to make it thin enough to get into the coil) but that's pretty difficult to do.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Fwiw, I've used the "Sterile" 100% cotton ones from CVS (bandages section) for quite a while now without any issues.

They're completely white, so its entirely possible they may have been whitened with HP. Maybe i should boil them, but i've never had any weird tastes/issues yet.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Fwiw, I've used the "Sterile" 100% cotton ones from CVS (bandages section) for quite a while now without any issues.

They're completely white, so its entirely possible they may have been whitened with HP. Maybe i should boil them, but i've never had any weird tastes/issues yet.

Hmm, that's good to know. I thought the "sterile" ones sounded right but I figured all cotton balls are probably sterile anyway. Am I wrong about that?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Hmm, that's good to know. I thought the "sterile" ones sounded right but I figured all cotton balls are probably sterile anyway. Am I wrong about that?

Dunno about that, but there has been mention of some of the "cosmetic" cotton balls contained a % of latex (?) or some other fiber that probably not a good idea to vape.

There are many people who use the CVS sterile ones, judging by what i remember reading its probably close to 50/50 on those who boil them first, versus those who don't.

Also apparently this post makes me an "Ultra Member" and that calls for a creepy gif:

megaultrawowjustmadesomenewgifstufftodaymaybe_358ba4_3267885_zps80569477.gif

:vapor:

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
To be honest, I just grabbed a cotton ball out of the bag in the medicine cabinet. I "think" they were the "sterile" ones, but not sure. When I get home I will check, if they are not labeled "sterile" I will post back here. I did not boil it and have no complaints with my results. It seems a little silly to me to boil a cotton ball, but hey whatever works for you. :)

However, as always ... YMMV!

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Dunno about that, but there has been mention of some of the "cosmetic" cotton balls contained a % of latex (?) or some other fiber that probably not a good idea to vape.

There are many people who use the CVS sterile ones, judging by what i remember reading its probably close to 50/50 on those who boil them first, versus those who don't.

Also apparently this post makes me an "Ultra Member" and that calls for a creepy gif:

Congrats ... and you are correct, that is a creepy gif!

I now return you to your scheduled thread ...

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
100% cotton. Sterile, well considering the temperatures in a well and properly built atty, any bacteria might find this place highly uncomfortable.

Bleached is said to be even better. Bleaching process supposedly roughens up the surface of the cotton fibers, enhancing the capillary effect ( and probably accelerating gunking up the wick as well).

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago

LOL, you know I actually noticed your post count and was wondering what was going to happen at 1000 (i have seven more to go).

thanks for the info and thanks to everyone else giving info, i'll pick some sterile ones up when i get back to the cvs

naith_kk

Jul 2, 2013
Malaysia
Cheesecloth is a "natural" (actually more towards "organic") alternative to cotton... RipTrippers seems to recommend it in some of his videos on youtube. It can be used without needing to prepare by boiling them, and does not smell of chemicals on the first few vapes (which cotton does - unless you prepared them by boiling them twice/thrice and dry before use). To use them in microcoils however, you'd need to seperate the strands and group them to a thick enough diameter to fit...

Also the same applies for silica wicks, provided the diameter of the coil is about the same as the wick's thickness, twisting/rotating the wick/strands while exerting mild pressure will usually fit it in. Extra care is needed though - because silica can be easily brittle (at least in my personal experience)

Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Cheesecloth is a natural alternative to cotton... RipTrippers seems to recommend it in some of his videos on youtube. It can be used without needing to prepare by boiling them, and does not smell of chemicals on the first few vapes (which cotton does - unless you prepared them by boiling them twice/thrice and dry before use). To use them in microcoils however, you'd need to seperate the strands and group them to a thick enough diameter to fit...

Also the same applies for silica wicks, provided the diameter of the coil is about the same as the wick's thickness, twisting/rotating the wick/strands while exerting mild pressure will usually fit it in.

Have never boiled and have had no odd smells or tastes at all, using the CVS balls mentioned above.

JonnyB88

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Elgin, IL, USA
Have never boiled and have had no odd smells or tastes at all, using the CVS balls mentioned above.

Seconding this.

I use CVS Sterile Rolled Cotton (in the pharmacy section), and I just rip off a little piece for a build, pop it in my coil, and go.
No bad/chemical tastes.

Just remember, CJ, DON'T dry burn with a cotton wick!

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Cheesecloth is a natural alternative to cotton... RipTrippers seems to recommend it in some of his videos on youtube. It can be used without needing to prepare by boiling them, and does not smell of chemicals on the first few vapes (which cotton does - unless you prepared them by boiling them twice/thrice and dry before use). To use them in microcoils however, you'd need to seperate the strands and group them to a thick enough diameter to fit...

Also the same applies for silica wicks, provided the diameter of the coil is about the same as the wick's thickness, twisting/rotating the wick/strands while exerting mild pressure will usually fit it in. Extra care is needed though - because silica can be easily brittle (at least in my personal experience)

I actually have an unopened pack of cheesecloth here in the house, but seems to me if you have to separate the strands and all of that then just using the silicon wick would be easier. Like I said, first I douse it in a little vg, that way you can roll it and twist the end into a point for threading without everything frizzing up like it does when it's dry. Unfortunately though for some reason I have 1mm and 3 mm wick and from what I understand 2mm is standard so I think that's where my problems have been coming from.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Seconding this.

I use CVS Sterile Rolled Cotton (in the pharmacy section), and I just rip off a little piece for a build, pop it in my coil, and go.
No bad/chemical tastes.

Just remember, CJ, DON'T dry burn with a cotton wick!

Thanks, I'm absolutely sure I will forget this and end up dry burning it anyway though. LOL. I always have to learn things the hard way.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
dry burning just happens.... I've been using the sterile CVS for quite a while now, and no weird tastes from my protanks, evods, and drippers, and it wicks well when you size it properly, you get a feel for it after you have been using it for a bit. 3 bucks for a box of sterile cotton is nothing to throw away if you find it isn't working for you..To me sterile means, it should not hurt you..

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I got some cotton yarn from Walmart. It was like 2 dollars and there is a ton of it. I cut off a nice chunk and boil ot just because. Not even sure why other than it gives it a better feel. Since it is already thread like I wet it down with Sweetener since I don't have any VG and it goes right in. No worries about having enough cotton going in. If it is too much then I take one thread out and it fits just right.

naith_kk

Jul 2, 2013
Malaysia
Seconding this.
I won't doubt you. Frankly I'm in a place where you buy a brand that claims one thing on packaging but you'll never know whether they really mean what they claim as it may most likely been repackaged from another imported source.

The cotton I used was labelled "pharmaceutical grade" and claims its "free from chemicals" but using it straight off the pack, tasted slightly off the first few drags. refitted with boiled cotton from the same pack, and the wierd taste is gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread