What uses more liquid, ohms or wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cal202

Jul 17, 2016
Less 0hms = more juice consumption
wattage is determined by the 0hms your coils use
anything above 1 0hm will most likely use less than 30 watts, ofc it varies by manufacturer,coils material,wicking etc
Overall less 0hms = more watts which = more juice vaporised.

0.25ohm Smok coils recommend 25-45w, but 55-65w on tha 0.4ohm..

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you are confusing the relationship, higher ohms usually use *less* wattage, while lower resistance will often take *more* wattage. I don't think that relationship is 100% linear, so you may have just found a sweet spot for your 0.25 coil, while you're using higher wattage (technically, I'd say it's well within safety limits of the coil, probably, but it just may "feel" better to you that way, as more wattage will equal more vapor, and lower resistance will typically use higher wattages as well, sometimes much higher.

For example, I'll run a 1.8 coil at an all powerful 7 watts. LOL. I don't use much e-juice that way, but I am not sub0hming.

For you, you're just finding the sweet spots (for your coils) and my guess is the higher resistance is making you want to use more wattage to compensate from cloud/flavor loss (possibly).

With that said, in general, higher resistance uses less wattage, (generally) and the more wattage you are using, the more likely you are to burn through juice and battery. I'd try playing around with your higher resistance coil and see if you can get it to a lower wattage with a comfortable vape. In theory, at that point, you'd be using less batteries and juice.

With temp control, all bets are off, but in Wattage mode, that tends to be the usual result.

Anna

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
How much juice gets consumed has to do with your coil size and vaporization rate, largely determined by heat flux. Watts and ohms only affect things insofar as they affect everything.

The bigger your surface area, the more you vape on a pull. If juice efficiency is your goal, try simple round builds with fast ramp-up/down time.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I thought the lower the ohms are the more liquid will be used up, but then at higher ohms you use more wattage. I think I'm draining more juice at 60w on my 0.4ohm coil than I was at 45w on a 0.25. Thoughts?

0.25ohm Smok coils recommend 25-45w, but 55-65w on tha 0.4ohm..

Hi,

Just for clarity,
Are you comparing a .25Ω Smok coil head with a .4Ω Smok coil head?
Which heads? In what tank? On what device?
What nicotine strength are you using?

cheers
I

Reactions: Letitia

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
I thought the lower the ohms are the more liquid will be used up, but then at higher ohms you use more LESS wattage (generally). I think I'm draining more juice at 60w on my 0.4ohm coil than I was at 45w on a 0.25. Thoughts?
Fixed it ... but why you're using more wattage on a higher ohm coil, if everything else is equal, I can't answer. There are many online calculators for ohm's law, but none factor in juice usage. That would be apples to oranges like. But yeah, you will likely use more juice subohming @ high wattage than I will on a Nautilus 1.8ohm coil @ 8.4W ... unless you don't take a pull ;)

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
To me, the type of coil is the biggest factor. I am using the "exotic" or fancy coils now and I see that they go through more juice than my older typical single wire builds.

I am using a fused clapton coil that ohms out at .35 and I have another tank that is using a regular clapton ohming out at .20. The juice consumption on the fused clapton is much higher than the clapton coil. Now, this is not an exact science and I am not going to do any tests to prove it one way or the other. This is just my observation.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
To me, the type of coil is the biggest factor. I am using the "exotic" or fancy coils now and I see that they go through more juice than my older typical single wire builds.

I am using a fused clapton coil that ohms out at .35 and I have another tank that is using a regular clapton ohming out at .20. The juice consumption on the fused clapton is much higher than the clapton coil. Now, this is not an exact science and I am not going to do any tests to prove it one way or the other. This is just my observation.
Goes back to what VictorViper said about surface area

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Since it was suggested we may be talking about drop in coils, it should be mentioned that the number of coils in the build has an impact as well. A quad build using round wire is generally still going to be thirstier than your average single coil fused Clapton.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Watts expresses the amount of energy produced. The greater the amount of energy produced, the greater the volume of liquid vaporized in the chamber.

The greater the mass in a coil, the more surface area is available for energy production.

That's why at any given resistance, a Smok Baby coil will support greater vaporization than a Nautilus coil.

With regulated mods, resistance is almost meaningless. It's the wattage demanded by the user and the size of the coil that determines liquid consumption.

Put 80 Watts on a Smok BB and the cloud, bro. Put 80 Watts on a higher resistance CE4 and the CE4 goes zzzzt! POP!

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Watts expresses the amount of energy produced consumed. The greater the amount of energy produced consumed, [the more heat produced and] the greater the volume of liquid vaporized in the chamber. [As heat is dissipated over a coil mass/area and the resulting heat causes the liquid to vaporize before cooling again and forming condensation.]

The greater the mass in a coil, the more surface area is available for energy production consumption. [The additional energy required to heat the greater surface area to a temperature sufficient to vaporize liquid depletes a battery faster as well as the greater coil mass provides more area for the liquid to absorb coil heat and a greater amount of liquid to vaporize.]

That's why at any given resistance, a Smok Baby coil will support greater vaporization require more wattage than a Nautilus coil to produce heat sufficient to vaporize liquid. [and provide a larger area for heat transfer in order for liquid to vaporize.]

With regulated mods [in VW mode], resistance is almost meaningless as heat changes the coil resistance, wattage remains the same but voltage increases. It's the wattage demanded by the user consumed by the coil and the size of the coil [and the temperature and amount of heated area] that determines liquid consumption.

Put 80 Watts on a Smok BB and the cloud, bro. Put 80 Watts on a higher resistance [smaller wire] CE4 and the CE4 goes zzzzt! POP! [because the higher resistance (to current flow), smaller coil wire diameter can't handle the Amps/current flow demands of using higher watts.]
--------------------
~ Maybe you said it right, but that is how my mind wrapped around it LOL ... the only thing coils produce is heat, which in turn produces vapor ... or turns the liquid to a "gas" state as the liquid absorbs and dissipates the heat. ... and we haven't even talked about how airflow affects vapor production LOL. ... that's why a Billet Box, for example, using a 1.8ohm Nautilus coil and bridge will produce more vapor quicker at the same wattage than a 1.8ohm Nautilus coil in an Aspire Nautilus tank (original or mini). It's like a a dang Bermuda fire triangle ... Oxygen, Heat, Fuel (liquid) ... shoot

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
On a regulated mod in a theoretical example, two coils of the same mass and surface area but differing resistances would produce the same amount of vapor at a given wattage, and therefore consume the same amount of juice.

In the real world a lower resistance coil would probably have greater mass and less surface area being that it would probably be built using a thicker wire. This coil would require more power to produce the same amount of vapor and consume the same amount of juice.

The reason that lower resistance coils are associated with higher power levels (and greater juice consumption) is that they are intrinsically better suited to higher power levels.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Ym3ZzST.jpg

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Watts expresses the amount of energy produced consumed. The greater the amount of energy produced consumed, [the more heat produced and] the greater the volume of liquid vaporized in the chamber. [As heat is dissipated over a coil mass/area and the resulting heat causes the liquid to vaporize before cooling again and forming condensation.]

The greater the mass in a coil, the more surface area is available for energy production consumption. [The additional energy required to heat the greater surface area to a temperature sufficient to vaporize liquid depletes a battery faster as well as the greater coil mass provides more area for the liquid to absorb coil heat and a greater amount of liquid to vaporize.]

That's why at any given resistance, a Smok Baby coil will support greater vaporization require more wattage than a Nautilus coil to produce heat sufficient to vaporize liquid. [and provide a larger area for heat transfer in order for liquid to vaporize.]

With regulated mods [in VW mode], resistance is almost meaningless as heat changes the coil resistance, wattage remains the same but voltage increases. It's the wattage demanded by the user consumed by the coil and the size of the coil [and the temperature and amount of heated area] that determines liquid consumption.

Put 80 Watts on a Smok BB and the cloud, bro. Put 80 Watts on a higher resistance [smaller wire] CE4 and the CE4 goes zzzzt! POP! [because the higher resistance (to current flow), smaller coil wire diameter can't handle the Amps/current flow demands of using higher watts.]
--------------------
~ Maybe you said it right, but that is how my mind wrapped around it LOL ... the only thing coils produce is heat, which in turn produces vapor ... or turns the liquid to a "gas" state as the liquid absorbs and dissipates the heat. ... and we haven't even talked about how airflow affects vapor production LOL. ... that's why a Billet Box, for example, using a 1.8ohm Nautilus coil and bridge will produce more vapor quicker at the same wattage than a 1.8ohm Nautilus coil in an Aspire Nautilus tank (original or mini). It's like a a dang Bermuda fire triangle ... Oxygen, Heat, Fuel (liquid) ... shoot

Dang Editors. :facepalm:

I was gonna get into the airflow thing, but it was past my bedtime.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
On a regulated mod in a theoretical example, two coils of the same mass and surface area but differing resistances would produce the same amount of vapor at a given wattage, and therefore consume the same amount of juice.

In the real world a lower resistance coil would probably have greater mass and less surface area being that it would probably be built using a thicker wire. This coil would require more power to produce the same amount of vapor and consume the same amount of juice.

The reason that lower resistance coils are associated with higher power levels (and greater juice consumption) is that they are intrinsically better suited to higher power levels.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

Ym3ZzST.jpg
I still love that movie.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Watts expresses the amount of energy produced. The greater the amount of energy produced, the greater the volume of liquid vaporized in the chamber.

The greater the mass in a coil, the more surface area is available for energy production.

That's why at any given resistance, a Smok Baby coil will support greater vaporization than a Nautilus coil.

With regulated mods, resistance is almost meaningless. It's the wattage demanded by the user and the size of the coil that determines liquid consumption.

Put 80 Watts on a Smok BB and the cloud, bro. Put 80 Watts on a higher resistance CE4 and the CE4 goes zzzzt! POP!

Agree, except mass and surface area don't exactly go together like that. They are related by the diameter (and type) of wire.

On a mech, resistance is your power setting. In the regulated mods world, there are factors that "tend" to make power suitability of a coil related loosely to resistance, but the biggest one is habit and entrenchment.

Reactions: stols001

Carl2

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2016
    I have a Smok big baby beast tank RBA that is using dual coil SS Claptons .40 ohms in temp mode. So we are talking about ohms, watts, heat flux, surface area. I for some reason keep thinking about efficiency. Since when I first started vaping I got no flavor there was vapor but no flavor I got interested in tanks and coils. I think the output we want is flavor, and we will increase wattage until we get enough flavor from the vapor. If for example we don't add enough flavoring into the mixture we have to increase the wattage meaning the system is less effective. So we have a system with input and output affected by so many things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread