What voltage to store batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose Mendiola

Jan 2, 2017
Mexico
Hey guys, so I recently bought a pair of Sony VTC5A's and also a pair of Hohm Life batteries - Sony's for a VGOD Pro Mech 2 and Hohm Life's for the smok Species Kit. But when I bought the Species kit, the vendors were kind enough to throw in some new Samsung 25R's. That's cool and all but that leaves me with a spare pair of batteries and I'm wondering at which voltage should I leave them charged. I'm planning on storing the 25R's for now but I went ahead and charged them up to 4.0V as they arrived at 3.4V.

TL;DR: What voltage do you guys recommend on storing batteries? I'll probably store them a little over a month.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I heard full, merely because if they get too low they don’t like recharging and they very slowly lose charge over time so at a full charge they will store longer. That’s only what I heard though. There may be better answers out there.

What confuses me though is why you want to have only two batteries for a two battery mod. If you have a charger you can swap out the two married pairs and never have to wait for your mod to recharge. That’s what I do.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
<snip>

What confuses me though is why you want to have only two batteries for a two battery mod. If you have a charger you can swap out the two married pairs and never have to wait for your mod to recharge. That’s what I do.
Maybe vaping is a just a hobby for OP.

Cheers
I
IIRC, OP is in Mexico and batteries are not readily available.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Other people are awake!? TO TALK TO!?! HELLO! Ahem I mean, Im surprised you dont use the 25rs OP. Theyve served me great, better experience with them then ohm life.
I also thought about that. @Jose Mendiola the 25r's are likely better batteries than the hohm life... Use the samsung and store the others.
Retraction: looks like hohm life batteries aren't too bad.

Last edited:

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
I also thought about that. @Jose Mendiola the 25r's are likely better batteries than the hohm life... Use the samsung and store the others.

Also I saw a video of a shop owner who would really only recommend 25rs as he had intentionally vented them 15 or so times to test them and they all vented quite tamely and safely [:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Long term storage is usually best at ~3.4-3.5V. Batteries I've ordered from vendors like IMR typically arrive at that as that is how they store the batteries, and likely how they got the batteries in the first place. The only time I've had anything arrive with a full charge have been mods with built in Lipo batteries.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I use 3.7 for storage. I think they ship at a lower voltage than that these days because a lower SoC is safer if something should cause damage to them in shipping (less energy to cause problems).

I also check 'em every 6 months or so and take 'em back to 3.7 if they've dropped much from there.

Storing fully charged is harder on them and should be avoided.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless these batteries you've got something against them for whatever reason, just throw them in rotation and use them a) it's good for batteries to rest a bit between storage and usage and b) battery life is usually measured in cycles of charging, so using them will extend the life of all your batteries and the more you have in rotation the less charges they will go through in quick succession.

Or if you want to store them, what everyone else said. Not quite full, and probably somewhere cool.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... the 25r's are likely better batteries than the hohm life...
FWIW, I've got both Hohm Life and the Sony VCT5As, I rotate them both in my Voopoo Drag. Running at 70-80watts on a sub-ohm tank, I get very similar performance and longevity.

The Hohm Life and Hohm Work batteries tested well when Mooch tested them. I would imagine the only reason they are not included in his "recommended battery list" is they exaggerate their specifications and use "pulse" discharge ratings instead of "continuous discharge" ratings:

HohmLife 36.3A 3077mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A- battery but a great one, equal to HG2

HohmWork 40.6A 2531mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A battery but great, better than HE2

I've done a little research with these batteries. They are NOT re-wraps, but manufactured in Indonesia. They say they consulted with Lg Chem about Lg's battery chemistry and claim that they made improvements to the Lg battery chemistry.
Hohm Tech

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had a holm tech 266 whatever battery in use at one time. I kind of liked it, until I broke the mod I bought the battery for.

I became a lot less interested in its rating and performance THEN. I'm just saying. But, it was rather nice.

God, I used it like five times too. I guess my fingers were not accustomed to the weird shape of the mod, etc.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I'm planning on storing the 25R's for now
Batteries do age in storage. If it were me, I'd just rotate through them all. Remember, batteries are married to each other, not to the device. You can move a pair around from mod to mod, as long as you keep the pair together. But if you're going to store them, around 3.5v is best.

Jose Mendiola

Jan 2, 2017
Mexico
Retraction: looks like hohm life batteries aren't too bad.

Yeah, I bought them since I read Mooch's blog and tests about them and they seemed pretty good – 20A and 3000mah is awesome. Obviously the Samsung's are good too, I just bought these first and Samsung's came as a gift.:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread