What was your transition from smoking to vaping like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbabbster

Jul 9, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I feel surprised that it was such an easy transition for me. I had no intention of quitting my 20 + years of a pad, out of curiosity, stopped into a local vape shop, ( after smoking my last cig in the pack in the parking lot ), spent almost an hour with them schooling me, and trying different juices....after walking out of the shop with my new kit and a few flavors, I have had not had a analog since, although its only been short of two weeks, I feel lucky the transition was easy.

Davenkay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
I'm lucky. It's been over a year. I drove up to the vape shop, threw my lit cigarette into the ash can out in front of the store and walked out with an eGo and some juice. Haven't had a cigarette since, although the temptation has been there. I now collect MODS and all kinds of vape toys with the money saved.

Ben B Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
I first tried to quit smoking with pills from the doctor a few years ago i was smoking 4-5 packs a day that didn't work, about December of 2011 i tried njoy ecigs and smoked analogs and ecigs for about a month then quit analogs and kept using njoys for awhile then stopped them and was smoke free for 6 months then went back to smoking analogs and worked back up to 1-1/2 packs a day, well i still wanted to quit. about a month ago i bought a ego kit and usa blend 38mg ejuice and started vaping, didn't take even a week and I was off analogs. this time I will keep vaping and work my way down to 0mg nic and just flavor vape after that, since i have been smoking for 45 years the having something in my hand is a harder habit to break if i had picked up a ecig instead of a analog i do believe i would have stayed smoke free

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
i started vaping last dec but still smoked stinkies to. it was back and forth with the ego with ce4. i remember complaining of an oily residue in my mouth. after 4months ego batteries didnt hold a charge as long and i saw what i thought was a cool lookin new tesla at my local vapor store. i wound up gettin it with an iclear30. major clouds of vapor. since then which was end of march i have not smoked. i went to the dentist and spent a few hundred bucks having all the tar stains removed and teeth whiteing done. i bought kanger protanks, then decided to rebuild their attys. then bought a rsst genisis atty. then a inspire mech mod to go with it. today i ordered a nimbus rebuildable dripping atty. that should rock my socks off! at this point ill never smoke again! man i can breath now unlabored! i dont cough anymore! and when people walk by smokin a stickin to the high heavin cigarette i hold my breath! yea i can do that to now for real man!

Windz1

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2013
San Diego
Like most people that responded to this, it was extremely easy for me. I really wanted to quit, and was amazed that my family found out that I quit (they still don't know I vape...sorry ma!)

My friends that vape still smoke. To me, it kinda defeated the purpose to even put more money into Big Tobacco when this is less money than continually buying packs/cartons. They've cut down, but it's just more of a shame that they aren't fully into quitting cigarettes.

Crazy Birdy Mom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Michigan, United States
Here's my story:
Well first I bought a disposable 'cheapie' so I could sneak a hit of nicotine in the airports because being
a 1.5 pack a day smoker who traveled a lot, it was killing me.
Then I tried a 21st Century brand rechargeable in Menthol which was better and I liked the pre-filled cartridges
but I could not find the flavor carts anywhere around me.
I stepped my vaping game up to a blu brand e-cig starter pack. It was not for me: I like stronger flavors
and the vapor was lame. My mom wanted to try it so I am giving/selling the whole set up to her.
I went in to my local pawn and everything else shop and they showed me a Joytech eGo C Twist adjustable
battery (also known as a 'fatbatt'), a Clearomizer in purple (my favorite color) and let me try their set up
with caramel macchiato e-juice. I bought the whole set up and two other juices, menthol and watermelon.
Then found out a local smoke RYO tobacco shop has MORE e-cig stuff, and bought one more juice; blueberry
that tastes to me like honeydew melon or pear, two more clearomizers, and a lanyard so my carts don't get
dirty in my pocket.
I have an order in with one eBay seller for clearomizers, can't wait to try new flavors. I also have an order in
for cherry e-juice and a drip-tip/atomizer combo with a company who makes the tips out of natural stone.
I have been loving it ever since and since then I have had NO regular cigarettes at ALL!!
Here's an added bonus: my hubby and kids said the house smells better!! In the AM I vape the caramel macchiato
so the house smells like coffee brewing. During the day I vape menthol because its 100 degrees here in the shade
right now and menthol cools me off. At night I switch around, add in watermelon, and will add in whatever new juices
come my way soon!

I'm Hooked LOL !!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I was an accidental quitter, and it was practically immediate. I was extremely skeptical and thought maybe I'd cut down a little at best, but really i was sure I was just wasting more money on another gimmick (the other gimmicks were patches, gum, and pharmaceuticals, lol). After I got my first kit I smoked 3 partial cigarettes, and the last two were really just to see if it tasted any different/worse (it did). I switched to a better kit very quickly, and pretty much right away did not have even the slightest craving for a cigarette. I could, and can, pass smokers, be around smokers, smell smoke, and have no desire for a cigarette at all. I'm very grateful and still amazed at how effective this was for me. I wish everyone success. If it takes longer it's just fine. Every cigarette you don't smoke is a win.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    I think once a smoker tries real vaping, not the disposables from the gas station, then quitting is just a matter of realizing to yourself its actually going to work.

I never thought this would work until I tried a Premium100 Blu kit, direct from Blu. I had tried another brand in the past.. even have a bunch of their ejuice leftover.. I wasn't impressed. Didnt do it for me. Got the Blu kit with Vanilla Cartos, the taste was smooth and creamy, and though I chain vaped, I didnt want a cig. Went from 2PAD to 2packs in 5 days after the first time trying a blu.

Immediately after that, I began researching, and found the world of mods and premium e juice and quality gear.. Researched the weekend away, and ordered a whole plethora of equipment and a ton of juice flavors. I knew that if it was only as good as when I would put a new carto on a freshly charged blu battery(thats when its best from blu*), that I could quit. I was pleasantly surprised to find, it is sooo much btter than that.

*Blu gets a bad rap for flavor, among other factors.. but since blu got my wheels turning, I cant knock them. ive tried them from the gas station.. pretty terrible IMO. But, if you order the Premium100 Batteries which last a bit onger than the regular ones, AND you buy the Cartos direct from them so you know they're fresh.. well, Blu isn't bad. Little pricy, and yeah, you gotta stay on top of the batteries, but the flavor and vapor is pretty good. Absolutley nothing like buying a blu disposable. I mean, its got a 510 connection, Im keeping my Blu kit as a backup.. I can screw an Evod or a Tank on and be all set in a pinch. So, I can't hate Blu.. they helped me get here.

My vape kit arrived in the mail on July 6. I had three cigarettes left, finished those over the next two days and haven't bought a pack since. I was a 30 cigarette a day smoker for the last 15 years. For me, the transition was that easy. Sometimes I do crave a cigarette, in which case I just take a few extra vapes which calms it down -- part of the challenge I find is retraining your mind to connect the psychological craving for nicotine to the vaping, not to a cigarette. I think part of any residual cravings for cigarettes are that my subconscious hasn't fully made that leap yet.

At the same time, I have bummed a couple of smokes -- one last night at an event, one the week before at a bar. What I like about vaping (as opposed to when I tried to quit smoking without vaping) is that I feel totally okay about that. When I was trying (and always failing) to maintain a quit, when I slipped and had a cigarette it really hurt my self-confidence -- I felt like I had failed, and then I'd just start slipping and smoking more and more until I was right back to 30 a day.

Now, I feel like if I DO happen to have a cigarette sometimes, it's no big deal, because I know I won't be buying any and have no need to smoke them every day or every week or every month. That's the best part of this, for me.

I'm also lucky in a way because I know the cost issue exists for some -- for me, cigarettes are $13 to $15 a pack, so I was going through about $400 a month in cigarettes alone. I've already saved my entire start-up vaping cost in 13 days since I last bought a pack, and as far as I can tell I'm going to be saving gargantuan amounts of cash over the long run.

Last edited:

3percenter

Jul 18, 2013
    Parker, CO
    I had been trying to quit for the last 2 years (26 yr smoker). I tried disposables, bought a V2 kit, but still the cravings returned. 5 days ago I received a Lavatube with a Kanger Protank from my brother and have not had an analog since my first vape. Being serious about not relapsing, I ordered a Halo Triton and picked up a Colorado Esmokes(brick an mortar next to my work) vapv as backups. When I see people smoking I try to think of drinking a beer that someone put an analog in, take a vape and all is well. After 5 days of being analog free I smelled smoke today and I actually found it a little repulsive.

My transition has been good so far for 2 weeks now, still do ONE analog (half a stick, twice a day after meals) daily, and the rest of the day is vaping. I'm pretty sure I can eventually dump the analogs completely. To be honest, since vaping 2 weeks ago, I don't miss analogs that much any more after like 2 or 3 days. In fact, I find that I can't finish one whole cigarette anymore if I constantly just vape every half an hour or so, 3 to 5 puffs keeps me going. I didn't want to completely stop on the analogs because I heard that it is not good for some people when you just all of sudden stop. So ONE per day for now is fine with me for now.

I was a smoker for 20 years since high school.

Ottotek

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 11, 2013
    Michigan
    It was absurdly easy for me. I tried BluCigs back in 2009...meh, just OK...continued to smoke ...tried Chantix, gum, patches...nada. Then heard about the wave of new mods. Watched Phil Busardo. Ordered ProVari's and Vivi Novas and MBV juice. We quit the morning after getting everything set up. Tried an analog that morning...put it out 1/2 way thru. Yuck!

That was 9 months ago...neither one of us has any desire to have an analog. We also have no desire to quit vaping.:vapor: We have cut down from 24mg to 12 mg.

Vape Out!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread