What will another round of tariffs due to the Vape industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Yes, I'm ready to vape for life I think.

Price hikes are so odd. I do think some vendors go, "There will be a hike, I am going to sneak another 10% in there folks won't notice." It's either that or they are worried their sales will go DOWN and well, they proactively raise prices for that possibility.

I have no clue though, I'm not an economist THANK GOD because a) I would be miserable and b) I don't think I'd have too many clients.

I am far more annoyed with the FDA than tariffs right now though. My current annoyance is BOUNDLESS. LOL I got to tell my little brother on the phone that I was getting ready to Joan of Arc it. He laughed. He knows me, and that means he KNOWS there is a 50/50 shot. Etc.

Just sharpening mah sword, but I owned horses growing up so that part will be ZERO problems..
Anna

Picture when you don the costume. :D

Good luck. :)

p.s. Price hikes aren't a surprise. Do insurers or utilities care regs raise their costs? Nopes, they make their margin and higher profits proportionately. But higher prices and tariffs [may] expedite the appearance of inflation.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
From what I hear about recent protests, well, having a horse is gonna be a huge advantage.

The sword thing, I mean, I'm less likely to get teargassed, tasered and tortured potentially but like a gun would be more EFFECTIVE. Maybe both. A small one.

I really want to ride my horse right into Scottleib's office. I am thinking that the uniform of an ACTUAL police equine person might be the way to go, though. Stealthy, so to speak. I'm not afraid of modern advancements.

Except the horse, that's kind of crucial.

Anna

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I am far more annoyed with the FDA than tariffs right now though. My current annoyance is BOUNDLESS. LOL I got to tell my little brother on the phone that I was getting ready to Joan of Arc it. He laughed. He knows me, and that means he KNOWS there is a 50/50 shot. Etc.
Yeah, I am VERY annoyed with the FDA right now over other things besides vaping. Many of these alphabet agencies have become much bigger than they ever should have and I think are regulating outside the bounds of interest in public safety.

It really all comes down to politics, and money. Big tobacco, big pharma influences, etc. There's really little to no real interest in public safety with these folks anymore. It's all about money, big business and political interests.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Yeah, I am VERY annoyed with the FDA right now over other things besides vaping. Many of these alphabet agencies have become much bigger than they ever should have and I think are regulating outside the bounds of interest in public safety.

It really all comes down to politics, and money. Big tobacco, big pharma influences, etc. There's really little to no real interest in public safety with these folks anymore. It's all about money, big business and political interests.

That's it and all right there, money. If flavoring is tempting, then why allow flavored tobacco all these years. Just like other things like flavored "cigar" wraps, yeah that's what they're for, lol. Big Tobacco is losing money (till this report came out and their stocks made an uptick) and so is Pharma, since it has cut back on their "quitting tools".

The biggest problem they face, IF people pay attention, is they said flavoring in everything. Wonder how quick they will pull vape flavors AND tobacco stuff. I mean they are talking no menthol allowed so too bad smokers and imagine all the smokeless/pipe flavored tobacco that will be pulled.

If they want to pull flavors fine but it better be across the board for vape, smokes and smokeless. Wonder how quick the lobbies will reverse it all. I mean if vape is to be regulated the same as tobacco, then if one can't have flavors, neither can the other.

Having tobacco users and vapers raising voices together will get this fixed quick. It would be like outlawing beer and football, people would riot, lol.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not an economist THANK GOD
You understand that God created economists so that weather forecasters wouldn't look so bad, right?

As for the Joan of Arc thing, please don't go getting yourself burned at the stake. We'd miss you.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The biggest problem they face, IF people pay attention, is they said flavoring in everything. Wonder how quick they will pull vape flavors AND tobacco stuff. I mean they are talking no menthol allowed so too bad smokers and imagine all the smokeless/pipe flavored tobacco that will be pulled.

Flavorings will survive. They may pull flavored juices from retail vape shops. You have to wonder why they allow adult beverages to sell flavored alcohol. Cherry vodka was really popular when I was in high school decades ago.

The FDA is also considering reducing the nicotine content of tobacco cigarettes and cigars to nearly zero. There's also talk in the article about removing menthol and flavorings from cigars and cigarettes. FDA is pushing for a 90% reduction in nicotine content of both cigars and cigarettes.

NATO Submits Comments to FDA on Nicotine, Flavors

July 25, 2018
LAKEVILLE, Minn. – The National Association of Tobacco Outlets (NATO) has submitted comments to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in response to the agency’s Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) regarding a potential regulation that would set a maximum level of nicotine in cigarettes and possibly other combustible tobacco products, as well as restrict the use of flavors in tobacco products.

The third and final ANPRM that the FDA had opened up in the tobacco category, this one for premium cigars, was scheduled to end July 25.

In the nicotine ANPRM, the FDA requested comments from the public and the industry about setting nicotine levels in an attempt to make cigarettes and other tobacco products “minimally addictive or nonaddictive.” The ANPRM indicates that the agency is looking at reducing nicotine levels in cigarettes by up to 90% from current nicotine levels.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have enough nic for a projected supply of 18 years. That should take me far the life expectancy of the average male.
I've planed for a couple of standard deviations beyond. I mean I'd hate to wake up some morning, old and infirm, wishing I'd bought more, several decades ago, when it was readily available and a liter cost about the same as a carton of smokes.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I've planed for a couple of standard deviations beyond. I mean I'd hate to wake up some morning, old and infirm, wishing I'd bought more, several decades ago, when it was readily available and a liter cost about the same as a carton of smokes.
Yep, and when I go on a few month run of vaping MTL, my tolerance usually rises and I end up consuming 2-3x the daily amount I use when I vape DTL. That will take a bite out of my supply rather quickly.

I've also been giving juice to friends that are trying to quit smoking. Help them at least find a VG/PG ratio and nic strength that's good for them before they start blowing money on retail juice. I've talked two of them into DIY so far. :)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
While I do believe things will happen, I don't see it being as dire as the FDA is saying right now. Tobacco is looking to make good money on nic. level drops, as many will smoke more and new smokers will continue per normal. If they remove menthol and flavors, then there will be companies laying off people left and right. It will almost kill the smokeless and pipe tobacco industries.

Vaping will survive due to DIY and more will just switch to DTL if lower nic. levels are required (or vape more). Many would continue to vape without nic, to help stave off smoking. The only big thing that would hit people is if they don't allow tobacco flavoring, since it's still a flavoring (for those that don't DIY).

Prohibition didn't work with alcohol and it isn't going to work with tobacco either. This is what happens when people forget, ignore, or never learn history. As far as I'm concerned the FDA needs to start doing it's job with our food and medicines first. Then when they can get that straightened out in 50 years or so, look into tobacco and vaping.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I just got this in an email from VTA.

Today, the Trump Administration announced they will impose a 10% tariff on over $200 billion worth of Chinese goods, including vapor parts and components. These tariffs will go into effect next week on September 24th. The Administration also announced they plan to raise them to 25% next year. More than half a trillion dollars in imported goods now fall under the tariffs imposed since last year. These duties hurt our entire industry, from suppliers to wholesalers to retailers.

The Vapor Technology Association testified before the United States Trade Representative and filed formal comments opposed to these tariffs. We have led with a unified voice in the media on why these imposed tariffs would hurt our members.

While this is exactly what we predicted in our last newsletter, we are disappointed in today’s action. Rest assured VTA will continue to fight for our industry. In fact, our leadership team is in Washington D.C., already planning our next steps to protect the industry.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
The Administration also announced they plan to raise them to 25% next year.

The Chinese gubmint does NOT pay the tariffs...the Chinese citizens do NOT pay the tariffs...the US feral gubmint does NOT pay the tariffs...

The Chinese manufacturers pay the 25% tariff...but then...add the 25% to the prices of their goods sent to the US...

So...it's the US vapers who end up paying the 25%...

Oh well...that Trump fella givith (tax cuts)...and that Trump fella takith awayith (tariffs)…

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The Chinese gubmint does NOT pay the tariffs...the Chinese citizens do NOT pay the tariffs...the US feral gubmint does NOT pay the tariffs...

The Chinese manufacturers pay the 25% tariff...but then...add the 25% to the prices of their goods sent to the US...

Oh well...that Trump fella givith (tax cuts)...and that Trump fella takith awayith (tariffs)…

US Customs collects the tariffs from the importer
    Don't think we would rely on China to send over the $

"The United States imposes tariffs (customs duties) on imports of goods. The duty is levied at the time of import and is paid by the importer of record. Customs duties vary by country of origin and product. Goods from many countries are exempt from duty under various trade agreements."

how do tariffs work - Google Search

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY

It's the importer who pays the tariffs. They pass it on to the wholesaler who passes it on to the retailer who passes it on to the consumer. In essence it's a tax that the consumer pays.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    Aren't we both saying the same thing???

Yeah, the final outcome is the same. It's just that the Chinese manufacturer doesn't pay the U.S. government in the first instance, it's the U.S. importer. I just spelled out the process, that's all.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Hopefully the increased tariffs Americans will be paying will help lower the $1 Trillion dollar deficit those tax cuts caused. And let's face it, the folks who benefitted the most from those tax cuts will hardly notice the effect those tariffs will have. Can't say the same for all the folks who have to watch what they spend.

But that's a whole other topic.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    I for one choose to remain optimistic. Maybe, just maybe, if the tariffs raise prices so much, then maybe some more Americans will start making mods. I mean 3-D printer and some DNA boards, bam, mods made, lol.

Seriously though maybe it will open the door for people in the US to start competing with some things. If I had the scratch, I'd have already started running a 3-D printer or bought a small used CNC machine.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    Hopefully the increased tariffs Americans will be paying will help lower the $1 Trillion dollar deficit those tax cuts caused. And let's face it, the folks who benefitted the most from those tax cuts will hardly notice the effect those tariffs will have. Can't say the same for all the folks who have to watch what they spend.

But that's a whole other topic.
    Like I explained upthread, there will be no long run effect and therefore no "tariff dividend" to apply. And the individuals helped most by the tax cut are those who don't earn enough to be one percenters AND live in states with their own high income and property taxes. States like New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California... No more state and local tax deductions. Joe Six pack in Alabama and Indiana got a pay raise. Hoidy toidy in Hollywood got nailed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread