What will another round of tariffs due to the Vape industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I for one choose to remain optimistic. Maybe, just maybe, if the tariffs raise prices so much, then maybe some more Americans will start making mods. I mean 3-D printer and some dna boards, bam, mods made, lol.

Seriously though maybe it will open the door for people in the US to start competing with some things. If I had the scratch, I'd have already started running a 3-D printer or bought a small used CNC machine.
They have to be approved by FDA and go thru that whole nightmare process and what about no new products from the date FDA stated? It is getting crazy.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
They have to be approved by FDA and go thru that whole nightmare process and what about no new products from the date FDA stated? It is getting crazy.

Well by using say DNA boards and plain parts, it would come under the deadline part as it wouldn't be "new" technology. Same could be said by building an RDA but using a common deck type that has been around a long time, it again wouldn't be "new" tech. In the end it'd be cosmetic changes only but then again who knows. What is to take effect could be thrown out and have a whole new list of rules.

Then of course there's always going back to making mechanical box flashlights, I mean mods, lol.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Government is all about the details. If you improve something a patent might be approved and it becomes a new idea or product. With FDA oversight the improved product could be deemed a "new" product. If they go back far enough to establish a range that only covers the original vape mods, then everything forward of that line has to be approved to continue sales.

I guess we could be pushed back into the original eGo and all the other hardware we started with. That's why the 2016 or later deeming date is so important.

General information concerning patents

The patent law specifies the general field of subject matter that can be patented and the conditions under which a patent may be obtained.

In the language of the statute, any person who “invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent,” subject to the conditions and requirements of the law. The word “process” is defined by law as a process, act, or method, and primarily includes industrial or technical processes. The term “machine” used in the statute needs no explanation. The term “manufacture” refers to articles that are made, and includes all manufactured articles. The term “composition of matter” relates to chemical compositions and may include mixtures of ingredients as well as new chemical compounds. These classes of subject matter taken together include practically everything that is made by man and the processes for making the products.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Government is all about the details. If you improve something a patent might be approved and it becomes a new idea or product. With FDA oversight the improved product could be deemed a "new" product. If they go back far enough to establish a range that only covers the original vape mods, then everything forward of that line has to be approved to continue sales.

I guess we could be pushed back into the original eGo and all the other hardware we started with. That's why the 2016 or later deeming date is so important.

General information concerning patents

True a patent could change things but you have to file for one in the first place though. Then honestly, what's the point? China cares not about patents or laws, lol. It would also depend on what type of patent is applied for as well, a design patent (as what I'm speaking of) would not make new tech.

A design patent only covers looks, like the shape of a Coca-Cola bottle, not the function or what is in it. So unless the ornamental aspect truly changes the delivery of the device, it would still be older tech. Again though a patent is pretty much useless, lol.

I really don't think what date they choose will matter. They'll chop and piece things in as seen fit, they always do. The only sure way to know what will be allowed, is to look at what BT makes.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
True a patent could change things but you have to file for one in the first place though. Then honestly, what's the point? China cares not about patents or laws, lol. It would also depend on what type of patent is applied for as well, a design patent (as what I'm speaking of) would not make new tech.

A design patent only covers looks, like the shape of a Coca-Cola bottle, not the function or what is in it. So unless the ornamental aspect truly changes the delivery of the device, it would still be older tech. Again though a patent is pretty much useless, lol.

I really don't think what date they choose will matter. They'll chop and piece things in as seen fit, they always do. The only sure way to know what will be allowed, is to look at what BT makes.

It's all way too complicated.

The way I understand it, a new mechanism and how it's designed or updated could result in a new or revised patent. All the parts of an assembly and the way it works can be protected from copying and distribution.

The computer mouse was patented by Apple. The company I worked for invented it, but didn't patent it. Apple engineers were invited to meet with Xerox engineers at Palo Alt Research Center and share ideas. They saw the Xerox mouse and went back to Apple, made their own, and patented it. They also took with them the idea for the Xerox Star workstation computer invented by Xerox, but not yet patented. That resulted in the Apple Lisa workstation. Xerox had no grounds to stop them, but then patented and continued to make their own design for Xerox workstations. Legal got really intense on security and pushed patent applications for everything in the pipeline.

The problems we could face could include bans or high tariffs on imports from China. Certain items could be singled out and taxed highly to discourage importation.

You are right though, China doesn't care about U.S. patents.

Last edited:

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
Push come to shove I could vape for a long time on the hardware I already have. The trouble is that I get Shinyitis attacks from time to time and have to go find something that's new and cool to buy before they will calm down.

I was seriously thinking about putting in a big order with Fasttech before the September 24th tariff deadline. What is the consensus here? Will we be unaffected by he tariffs? Do these tariffs only apply to large orders and large companies? Anyone know what the truth is?

Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I was seriously thinking about putting in a big order with Fasttech before the September 24th tariff deadline. What is the consensus here? Will we be unaffected by he tariffs? Do these tariffs only apply to large orders and large companies? Anyone know what the truth is?
    I can't confirm, but someone mentioned if it's under $100 it won't be an issue? @kross8
    I plan to order next month, but will make several small orders ($<20) to test the waters.
    Not concerned about paying the 10%, but more concerned the package will be lost in the customs abiss, for months.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Xerox Invented the computer mouse not Apple. Xerox is the one that did not patent it. It was before Apple existed and was based on a trackball invented by the English before 1950

That was the main theme of my post. Apple patented it after stealing the idea from Xerox. The whole fiasco spurred Xerox into patenting and copyrighting everything eligible. Legal had egg on their face for a while.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Xerox Invented the computer mouse not Apple. Xerox is the one that did not patent it. It was before Apple existed and was based on a trackball invented by the English before 1950

To Apple's credit they bought Xerox' rights for this and other underutilized or non-utilized research and technologies. That's how they later made Firewire affordable for example, by uniformly adopting and mass-producing it (when others hadn't for its cost). Another such non-innovation which made things practicable for the rest of us…the 510 connector.

At least that's the way economy of scale used to work. But you'd never know it from the price of a car today.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Right now the FDA has made itself the copyright, patent and development office thanks to the delegatory hubris of Congress.

Extract vaping from tobacco legislation or we forever live in uncertainty from the legal fiction of equivalent harm.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    the tariffs announced will cover about 50% of Chinese goods when they go into effect so no doubt vape is in there somewhere. The Chinese have responded with additional tariffs of their own. Before it is over looks like all goods will be included.

This is ridiculous as it will not have an effect on manufacturing in the US. Companies will still produce where it is cheaper. To avoid tariffs some have already announced they will move to Vietnam or Thailand.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    This is not going anywhere. Unless US labor drops to 2 bucks an hour or even a day, it's not gonna change. Manufacturing industry ain't coming back.

Depends on the industry. Boeing is still the largest exporter for the US because of its wide bodied jets (well, really their wing design that allow it to be economical to fly). Stuff like consumer priced electronics, not coming back.

Besides, we never consider our really big reimport from China of what we send them. US dollars. All in US treasury notes and bonds. Would be an ugly day if they stopped funding our budget deficits and debt.

Last edited:

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
    Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    US still has a healthy base for stuff that needs real expertise. And it will still be up there for a while. Although the east is fast catching up. I think China just launched their first home made jet earlier this year or maybe late last year. India sent a probe to Mars which was cheaper than the whole Manchester United team combined (this really hurt, as we sucked in big games last year :(). India is also sending folks to the moon. So the gap is slowly getting smaller.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
    Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    The coincidence is... I was reading the Boeing post and somebody forwarded me a joke on WhatsApp about Boeing!!!

A Boeing 777 wide body jetliner was lumbering along at 800km/hour at 33000 feet when a cocky F-17 fighter jet flashed by at mach 1.5

The F17 pilot decided to show off. On his state of the art radio that is part of his state of the art 3 D & million dollar headset the F17 youngster told the 777 pilot, “Hey Captain Watch this!”

He promptly went into a barrel roll followed by a steep unimaginable vertical climb. He then finished with a sonic boom as he broke the sound barrier as the F17 screamed down at impossible G’s before levelling at almost sea level ...

The F-17 pilot asked the 777 pilot what he thought of that?

The 777 pilot said, “That was truly impressive, but watch this!”

The 777 chugged along for about 5 minutes at the steady 800km/hour and then the 777 pilot came back on and said, “What did you think of that?”

Puzzled, the cocky F-17 pilot asked, “What the heck did you do?”

The 777 pilot chuckled and said,

"I stood up, stretched my legs, walked to the back, used the toilet, then got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon roll and secured a date for the next 3 nights in a five star hotel paid for by the company"

Lesson of life:

When you are young & foolish - speed & flash may seem like a good thing!

When you get older & smarter - comfort & dullness is not such a bad thing! It's called S.O.S...

Slower, Older and Smarter!

Dedicated to all my friends approaching the S.O.S. category...

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    US still has a healthy base for stuff that needs real expertise. And it will still be up there for a while. Although the east is fast catching up. I think China just launched their first home made jet earlier this year or maybe late last year. India sent a probe to Mars which was cheaper than the whole Manchester United team combined (this really hurt, as we sucked in big games last year :(). India is also sending folks to the moon. So the gap is slowly getting smaller.

Sure other countries are advancing. But there's no guarantee on how they'll grow. Look at Japan in the 80's. It appeared destined to be the largest economy. Then things like citizen demands and a changing demographic nailed them and they've never recovered.

As China grows its citizens are expecting more as the middle class expands. That puts pressure on wages, which is why truly low end manufacturing has moved to places like Vietnam and Bangladesh. Add in the big disruption of a gender imbalance that occurred thanks to their one child policy, and folks selectively having boys over girls for cultural reasons, and this younger generation has 34 million more men than women? What's that going to do to the social structure and what effects will it have on economic growth?

Things can look rosy for an emerging country, but momentum is never guaranteed and the US has managed to stay competitive in high margin and high tech fields even with competition.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread