What will smoking be like in 5 years? 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
I adore vaping, I was hooked when I took my first vape from a green smoke ecig almost 3 years ago. Then again I was a smoker, a long time smoker and someone who watched family members die from cigs, so I was motivated to stop.
I know there are still millions of smokers so there will be business for ecig vendors for at least 5 more years for sure, but what about in 10 years? Where will the new business come from? At some point, won't people start getting nicotine from vaping as their first experience?

In the years to come will vaping be allowed to advertise for new business? It seems unlikely that big tobacco would jump into the ring and spend millions to buy ecig companies to only be out of business in 10 years? My husband watches stocks and told me the other day that every big tobacco company now owns vaping business also. So I look for things to change in the coming years. No telling what all that money will buy, no matter what they do tho, I won't trust them that's for sure.

Will people still smoke cigs in 10 years? Will they still be available at every store and gas station, or will it all be vaping? Or will we all be in vaping prohibition, and forced under ground?

The possibilities endless I suppose. But I guess my big question is what will happen to vaping when there are no more smokers?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Will people still smoke cigs in 10 years?

I say yes, and yes also to it being advertised in some fashion.

Will they still be available at every store and gas station, or will it all be vaping?

I believe smokes will be available in most places that currently sell them.

Or will we all be in vaping prohibition, and forced under ground?

The possibilities endless I suppose. But I guess my big question is what will happen to vaping when there are no more smokers?

As I believe there will be smokers for the foreseeable future, I think there will be vapers right along with them.

I will just note that I am the type of vaper who doesn't cringe at idea of non-smoker desiring to become a vaper or try vaping.

I also think if vaper takes a turn for the better, that it won't only be nicotine that people vape, and am not with this statement referencing anything currently illegal. I think vaping will be used in many ways and not simply for vaping nicotine to allegedly help provide alternative to smoking tobacco.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
I found this quite interesting: Designing A Safer Cigarette

smoker-2.jpg

Don't know if anything will ever come of it :)

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
I think you will see big tobacco convince the government to FDA regulate ejuice/ecigs in the next 5 years. The vape scene is taking off and big tobacco is already jumping in to this market and trying to squeeze every penny out of it.

I highly doubt we will ever have to go 'underground' with our vaping. I will have no problems doing so but I really don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Shortly after starting to vape I opined "in ten years we(local circle of friends) would see as many vapers as smokers and within the fifteen to twenty year range vapers would greatly outnumber smokers and in thirty years cigs would be in the same realm as snuff is today.

I did however add the caveat of "barring government intervention."

I predict that the stigma of cigarette smoking will carry over to vaping despite the fact that there is no grounds to pin that stigma on vaping. I imagine vaping being banned everywhere smoking is prohibited, which will be practically everywhere. There's a war going on and the anti's have more funding and resources than say, CASAA, and they will win. I'm expecting a 50% sales tax on juice implemented in the near future.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I predict that the stigma of cigarette smoking will carry over to vaping despite the fact that there is no grounds to pin that stigma on vaping. I imagine vaping being banned everywhere smoking is prohibited, which will be practically everywhere. There's a war going on and the anti's have more funding and resources than say, CASAA, and they will win. I'm expecting a 50% sales tax on juice implemented in the near future.

Cool so if its a war we get to shoot people;-)

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

BT is already hedging their bet ... the cost of vaping will be on par with packs of smokes :glare:

and nic cartridges may be the only game in town :blink:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
BT is already hedging their bet ... the cost of vaping will be on par with packs of smokes :glare:

and nic cartridges may be the only game in town :blink:

That's pretty optimistic in my opinion.

I see something a bit more nefarious

BT will back bans on all vaping equipment that we are all used to. The smaller industries will be driven out of business and BT, the only ones with the financial where with all, to meet all the new restrictions will develop very proprietary e-cigs, but they will market them as high priced and trendy products. They will claim that the "cost of making them safe" justifies the high price.

Vaping will become a status symbol in so much that only the rich and trendy will be able to afford them. Then the same people who screamed for bans will be praising BT for providing a safe alternative product, and since it costs so much, it will be an effective barrier entry for our poor children.

The rest of the rabble will be reduced to smoking good ole traditional tobacco.

Then Hollywood can proudly "vape" and wear their lung cancer awareness ribbons while looking down their noses and high priced e-cigs at those ignorant low lifes that still smoke. An opportunity to be sanctimonious and judgmental at the same time???? Who doesn't want that?

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Shortly after starting to vape I opined "in ten years we(local circle of friends) would see as many vapers as smokers and within the fifteen to twenty year range vapers would greatly outnumber smokers and in thirty years cigs would be in the same realm as snuff is today.

I did however add the caveat of "barring government intervention."

That is how I feel too. Our biggest job as vapers is in educating people on what it is, whether or not they are smokers.

I have a blog where I show my handmade greeting cards. In the next day or so, I will be putting up an entry on how I am quitting smoking with the help of e-cigs. (I will call them e-cigs, because that is what most people think of them as, and I want to try to help remove some of the stigma attached to the word). I will put the truth about the vapor in the blog post, with links to truthful places, and tell of the wonderful support I get here from former smokers, who gave up cigarettes after trying other methods.

The more we can educate others, the more support we will have.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
That's pretty optimistic in my opinion.

I see something a bit more nefarious

BT will back bans on all vaping equipment that we are all used to. The smaller industries will be driven out of business and BT, the only ones with the financial where with all, to meet all the new restrictions will develop very proprietary e-cigs, but they will market them as high priced and trendy products. They will claim that the "cost of making them safe" justifies the high price.

Vaping will become a status symbol in so much that only the rich and trendy will be able to afford them. Then the same people who screamed for bans will be praising BT for providing a safe alternative product, and since it costs so much, it will be an effective barrier entry for our poor children.

The rest of the rabble will be reduced to smoking good ole traditional tobacco.

Then Hollywood can proudly "vape" and wear their lung cancer awareness ribbons while looking down their noses and high priced e-cigs at those ignorant low lifes that still smoke. An opportunity to be sanctimonious and judgmental at the same time???? Who doesn't want that?

I am thinking more realistic ... not optimistic.

PVs will not be banned ... just the eLiquid that goes into them ... unless of course, you are buying the federally government inspected eLiquid, BT will sell for 10x what it sells for now :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread