What wire on spool to order for DIY coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporizer_DK

May 22, 2021
Denmark
Hi forum,
I need advice on what wire to buy to make coils for the Geekvape Zeus X RTA.
I need prebuild wire on a spool and will be building the coils from this as I do not have the skills to build wire myself.
A cooler vape would be to prefer but could be on the warm side too if that is needed to get nice flavour.
I prefer Kanthal and Stainless steel only.

$4.08 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Alien Heating Wire for RBA Atomizer - 32 AWG / 0.2mm dia. / 0.3mm*0.8mm flat size / 3ohm / 5m (15ft) at FastTech - Free Shipping
$5.35 Demon Killer Kanthal A1 Alien Heating Wire for RBA Atomizers - 32 AWG / 0.2mm dia. / 0.3mm*0.8mm flat / 5m/roll at FastTech - Free Shipping

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome to the ECF,

Will you build single or dual coils?
Why only Kanthal from china? (FT)
Have you considered purchasing from Zivipf.de
Are you only interested in "exotic" coils or are simple round wire coils an option?
What device are you using?
What is the nicotine strength of the juice you use?
Is there a vaping shop local to you?
Have you watched any videos on different builds and coil options for the Zeus?
What device(s) have you been using since you quit smoking?

What is your budget?

Cheers
I

Vaporizer_DK

May 22, 2021
Denmark
Hi Izan,
Dual coils on the Zeus X RTA. I have a gift certificate for Fasttech and the main reason to sticking to Kanthal and stainless is the toxicity concern for other wires, but please correct me on that.
I'm primarily interested in "exotic" coils like fused clapton or alien and those kind. zoiDman has recommended some round wire in another thread that I'm looking to buy too.

My device is a Voopoo Drag 3/Geekvape Aegis X, so regulated mods.
Nic strength is 6mg. 50/50 VPG/VG

I can buy from various vapeshops in Denmark online, but I need to use my gift certificate from Fasttech first.
I have watched RIP trippers and Grimm green build the Zeus X but do not know what wire to purchase for it, besides the round wire zoiDman recommended.
I am currently vaping on a Wotofo Profile M mesh tank, prior to that a Wotofo Unity RTA, and have used several premade subohm coils when I started vaping 3 years ago.

Reactions: Izan

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
It's kinda subjective broooooooooo.....but In order to keep your vape cooler u just can't use very big coils cause then u will need lot of wattage to ramp up fast and since they are big coils they gonna give you a warm vape even if u have the airflow wide open...and even tho Zeus x an airy atty

But if u don't use any huge coil u just add or remove wraps to find your sweet spot in terms of what wattage u gonna vape it and how warm vape u gonna get in your preferred airflow setting...
Sooo I believe that almost every wire can be adjusted to your liking...

It's just that in my opinion Zeus x needs always double coil setup for good flavour with the coils bended away from each other so they can be closer to the ariflow holes into the deck...really bending the coils it's what makes huge defference in flavour...and ofc the wicking...

The coils u show on link seem nice to me even tho I never used a flat core wire...it's just that the outer wire is kinda thicc 32ga :p but still maybe there is room for adjustment by removing wrap to get a cool vape...plus I heard the flat wire ramps up fast so maybe don't even have problem ramping up...I don't know..

Anyways in my opinion all wires can give good flavour and even simple round wire from 24ga or thicker but will need lots of wraps ofc :p

Sooooo try get a good quality wire it's more important I guess that what kind it is in my opinion..

I prefer claptons tho cause even something like a 3x30/38ga fused clapton is considered very thin and can be used even for mtl but gives me great flavour at double coil setup 5-6wraps each on the Zeus x from 50watts and up

And just for info in case u don't know in the box with the Zeus they provide 3x28/40 fused clapton that in my opinion is nice medium size coil for the Zeus x and I use something similar lately...after experimenting with many sizes claptons single double triple quad or anything silly like that

Reactions: zoiDman

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens

Both are nice and coilology is considered good brand....I would prefer the spool cause the outer wrap is 38ga and don't gunk up from juice as fast as the 40ga but it's not big deal....

In fact atm happens that I use exactly this one lol double coil 6 wraps 3mm id each ohms 0.15 and ramps up good from 65watts with airflow half and a tiny bit more and gives a lightly warm vape that is what I like cause I don't like cool vapor...
It's just that it's stainless and if u want to lower the wattage and u decrease the wraps then the ohms gonna fall a lot...just saying

Really tho as I said many coils can work good and depends your style and how u like to vape.....u just add or remove wraps to match your vape style and airflow setting..

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
And anything like 2x26/38ga can be considered similar to the 3x28/28ga I mean in terms of vapor production and flavour...
I mean to me at least it's how it seems cause I know other people will have other opinions ofc
Any type fo those claptons with core 26 or 27 or 28 or even 30 with outer wraps 40 or 38, and up to 36its the thicker I would go for outer wrap to so the wattage won't be tooo much needed...
I always try vape at 60-70 watts with 80watts max...but that's just me

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Don't worry about it...only testing wires will help you find what you like best for the specific atomizer and your vape style....
I am sure none of those gonna be a waste or bad choice and will be adjusted to your liking as long as it's spool is nice cause changing I'd and wraps of the coil can make big difference :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry. But I'm Not a good person to ask about Multi-Wire Coils.

Because I Don't Like the Slow Ramp Up/Ramp Down that the usually have. That, and they tend to take a Lot of Watts to drive them. Which severely reduces Battery Life. So I use Single Wire Coils.

Maybe one of these Sampler Packs would be a Good Idea to give you a chance to try some Different types of Coils?

$4.41 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (8 Specs) - 6-pack/spec / fused clapton + tiger + clapton + mix twisted + hive + quad + flat twisted + alien clapton coil at FastTech - Free Shipping

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I haven't used either of those brands, but have been pretty happy with VandyVape MTL clapton wire and some Geekvape SS316 round wire I get locally. Rayon is my wicking material.

Play with this: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Then decide on your target resistance for the build. If you want a .15Ω final, that would require 2X .3Ω coils.
The Vapefly coils (above) in a dual coil build, would give you an approx .17Ω final resistance.

Material wise, I prefer to use SS316 or Ni80 for builds below 1.0Ω.

HTH
I

Vaporizer_DK

May 22, 2021
Denmark
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
The wattage really depends on how much open airflow u gonna use and how hard u puff and atty u gonna use but I guess that those geekvapes coils gonna ramp up fast from 60watts both of those and the spool one I am guessing for double coil 6 wraps each from 50watts...
But really I don't know how u vape maybe u like longer puffs and u prefer the ramp up to not be instant...
And after all no matter what I say u just will start low and work your way up until u find your happy spot I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread