What would any possible E-cig regulations mean for DIY Liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a lot about all of the controversy over the FDA and their "ongoing studies" of e-cigs. Everywhere I look there's an ignorant, over-dramatic web article about e-cigs and how they're so horrible. Everyone and their freaking mom has been pulled into the media's black hole of misconstrued/false/blatantly unbacked information or speculations about how e-cigs have X amount of chemicals and whatnot, to the point where they're pulling some kind of bulls*** work around to make e-cigs 100x worse than they are.

My friend's dad saw me drawing on my pv the other day and started spewing some crap about how "they're worse than cigarettes" because he saw it on the news :glare:....REALLY? Some other random researcher guy basically said that smoking a cigarette is like breathing in the downdraft of a forest fire and that "e-cigs are only about 20% safer than cigarettes, and 80% of a forest fire is nowhere near healthy." <------What kind of crap is that :mad:? That is the kind of stuff that is all over the internet and television about e-cigs. Nobody knows the right info and the media just keeps shoveling piles of crap into peoples heads.

My points with that rant is, if the media and everyone else is misconstruing information and continues to do so, what will that mean for us? I mean every "study" I have read about was done on some company manufactured e-cig, so any "volatile chemicals" as they call it are in those e-cigs, not the liquid that I'm sure a lot of other people buy online or especially those of us who make our own. If they keep up with all of these close-minded assumptions/statements/studies/accusations/etc., then e-cigs as a whole will get slammed and those of us who specifically know what is in our liquid are going to catch the bad end of it anyway. Are there any regulations/exceptions that would protect the DIYers? If they passed a law banning e-cigs in places cigarettes are banned, but didn't hit DIYers, how would that work out? If I'm walking on my college campus and an officer stops me because e-cigs are banned, in what way would I be able to utilize that said exemption to prove my e-cig is legal?

I know nothing is final, but it's hard to be confident when (at least for those of us in america) our country follows the "If it's not in black and white then we'll just shut it down" type of philosophy. Anyways...what do you guys think? What is your outlook for the future so far? Like are you hopeful/feel like we will win this?

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If you want vaping to continue as it currently exists and you want to acquire pertinent information in defense of vaping, then I suggest you join CASAA (free to join), provide support if you can and you will find a wealth of information that will help. It will also allow you to get involved in our efforts to stop bans and severe restrictions:

CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

There's no telling...I know that if e-cigs as a whole get labeled based on what BT products have in them, then yea, we probably are screwed. I saw an article that claimed e-cigs allegedly have like 10 different metals in them blah blah blah and it makes the vapor molecules the size of smoke blah blah blah and basically that they can penetrate your lunges harmfully or some crud. I won't outright claim e-cigs are healthy, but it just astounds me that as much junk as cigarettes have in them that they still are finding a way to complain about the handful of stuff that's in e-cigs. The two products are worlds apart, but they're going to try to make them just as bad (and apparently the media is trying to sell the story that they're worse) in the eyes of the public. Apparently the vast majority of our population is also not capable of thinking logically on their own accord, and they'll just believe whatever is thrown their way.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I have seen it both ways. It all depends the agenda of the person reporting on it (or the station philosophies).

Anyway I don't watch him, my wife dvr's Dr. Oz and I caught part of his "review" of e-cigs. Basically he gave the pluses and minuses. No agenda. At the end summed it up correctly, basically no one knows the long term effects. Quite frankly no one does. Saying a ton of people watch is an understatement.

To say they are healthy is poppycock.

For the record, I am of the mind let the individual do as they please as long as they do not harm another. If one chooses to smoke, go for it.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
...........................Apparently the vast majority of our population is also not capable of thinking logically on their own accord, and they'll just believe whatever is thrown their way.

I believe your point was proven to be correct based on the current administration in power, the same one that started the political war on vaping in 2009.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I didn't agree with some of their actions, either. But they left vaping alone and it was judges appointed by that administration that saved vaping from an outright ban.
I'm not a single issue voter and I live my life concerned about every one of my freedoms, not just vaping.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm not a single issue voter and I live my life concerned about every one of my freedoms, not just vaping.

Neither I'm I. I'm an Independent. But I do believe the current direction of the country is worse than it has been in quite awhile. Vaping is just one part of it. My children and grandchildren will be paying for some of these mistakes forever. Where is the Dwight Eisenhowers or Harry Trueman's in either party.

I just feel like e-cigs have a lot of potential to help people. Even if it were to prove unable to put out smoking completely, I know it would be a huge cushion on the number of smokers. I haven't even been vaping a year, yet my cousin, my mom, and two of my friends witched from smoking to vaping. They all reported that their sense of smell and taste returned to normal, they have an easier time breathing, they are spending way less money, and they all can't stand cigarettes anymore- to the point where they were puzzled at how they ever started smoking in the first place. The same is true for me, I can't stand the taste or the smell of cigarettes now, and I feel significantly better. My mom actually quit completely just three weeks after she switched, and she smoked for just over twenty years.

Everyone is so quick to point out what e-cigs have in them rather than looking at what they don't. I mean when you get down to it, an e-cig only contains nictotine. The other parts of the liquid are just for vapor and flavor. Cigarettes have so much more stuff in them than I ever knew before I started smoking, and yet the nicotine brings you back. It's like a death sentence that you accept before you know how bad it is. I mean I'm not going to say people shouldn't be allowed to smoke, but why do those of us who choose an alternative route have to be lumped in with the rest?

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
The FDA as well as some senators do not believe you are capable of making these type of decisions wisely.

I can't believe people keep voting them back in. My decisions are mine to make. Whether I make wrong or right decision, that is for me to decide.

I have no clue how people can blatantly have their rights stripped from them, then smile and say how great it is. I guess until one has it happen to them it is okay to strip something from someone else. It is like Prohibition is happening all over again, this time with nicotine. Heck NYC just raised the cig buying age to 21. He targeted salt, sugar, fat and now cigs... What kind of idiot votes for these kind of people.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The problem with "deeming regulations" is that it's all or nothing. They can't pick & choose which paragraphs to apply to e-cigs because to do so would in essence make it a "new regulation" and not "deeming", but since when did the government ever pay attention to proper definitions. Anything we would say that the FDA is/isn't going to do right now is pure speculation.

The only portion of DiY supplies that could be effected is nicotine base. PG, VG, and flavorings all have to many other uses.

Nor am I. I don't believe in double standards, moreover I just feel like the manner in which we (vapers) choose to live our life should not be subjected to the same degree of regulation based off of companies who fault the image of e-cigs as a whole, and furthermore at the hands of a population that rejects things because they don't understand it and don't try. If someone wishes to call what is taking place now an attempt at understanding, then by all means they may, but I can't bring myself to feel the same way. It's simply too close minded and one sided for me to accept as an honest effort at this point. Things may change, and I'll stand firmly in what I believe, but I also won't set myself up for disappointment. In my honest opinion, I don't think that cigarettes would still be around if they didn't bring in such a profit. I mean it's not like officials haven't stepped on the toes of the people's freedom before, and this wouldn't be the first time our nation has shown to value profit over citizens health. If that were wrong I'm sure several things would be different.

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2013
    Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
    Nor am I. I don't believe in double standards, moreover I just feel like the manner in which we (vapers) choose to live our life should not be subjected to the same degree of regulation based off of companies who fault the image of e-cigs as a whole, and furthermore at the hands of a population that rejects things because they don't understand it and don't try. If someone wishes to call what is taking place now an attempt at understanding, then by all means they may, but I can't bring myself to feel the same way. It's simply too close minded and one sided for me to accept as an honest effort at this point. Things may change, and I'll stand firmly in what I believe, but I also won't set myself up for disappointment. In my honest opinion, I don't think that cigarettes would still be around if they didn't bring in such a profit. I mean it's not like officials haven't stepped on the toes of the people's freedom before, and this wouldn't be the first time our nation has shown to value profit over citizens health. If that were wrong I'm sure several things would be different.

I just don't see any point in ever-so-subtly trying to lay the blame for everything negative going on at the feet of the current administration and trying to justify that with "because a few libruhl nanny-state legislators are against vaping".

Hey, yes, vaping is something we as Americans should be left alone to do and choose to do for ourselves....that doesn't mean we shouldn't also include our rights to make our own choices in every other aspect of our lives.

I'm a TRUE Independent. I want to REALLY be free to make my own choices and mistakes. I see the powers-that-be dinging my rights all the time and it's been going on for far longer than vaping has even been around.

Let's not fool ourselves here and let's not pretend we can fool others.

By the way, I still love you guys.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    Can I answer your question with a serious question?

What is the shelf like of a very high potency VG nic juice if stored in a cool dry place?
    Where is a good site to order said product in a decent say Lifetime amount ( I vape 10-12mg )?

I spent 7 years in the US ARMY and see that my service did nothing to protect a single freedom or liberty. All I did was invade other countries and kill people that had different beliefs. Our government is ridiculous America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.

You will get my vape juice when you pry it from my dead cold fingers... I am stocking up!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread