what would the mg/ml content be for 15% nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach904

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Jax, Fl
My professor has recently started vaping and after class, he was ranting about the fact that "idiots are vaping 15% nicotine" and that someone was going to die of an overdose. I told him that I wasn't sure what the mg/ml content of that would be, but that it would be virtually impossible to overdose while vaping, because your body would reject it (puking) before you consumed enough to actually overdose. I went on to tell him that I had heard of some people having to start off at high levels such as 36 or even over 40mg/ml but I have no idea what 15% nicotine would be. Anyone know? He claims that he vapes and catches a buzz at 1% nicotine and it needs to be regulated to that level because people don't need anything more than that. FYI, the guy wasn't a smoker to start with. I had to bite my tongue over that remark, seeing as the semester isn't over and I would like to keep my A :p:facepalm::laugh:

BTW professor, if you ever read this and figure out who wrote this, no hard feelings bud. I plan on educating myself so I can educate you!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My professor has recently started vaping and after class, he was ranting about the fact that "idiots are vaping 15% nicotine" and that someone was going to die of an overdose. I told him that I wasn't sure what the mg/ml content of that would be, but that it would be virtually impossible to overdose while vaping, because your body would reject it (puking) before you consumed enough to actually overdose. I went on to tell him that I had heard of some people having to start off at high levels such as 36 or even over 40mg/ml but I have no idea what 15% nicotine would be. Anyone know? He claims that he vapes and catches a buzz at 1% nicotine and it needs to be regulated to that level because people don't need anything more than that. FYI, the guy wasn't a smoker to start with. I had to bite my tongue over that remark, seeing as the semester isn't over and I would like to keep my A :p:facepalm::laugh:

BTW professor, if you ever read this and figure out who wrote this, no hard feelings bud. I plan on educating myself so I can educate you!

Thank you for the good laugh Zach :thumb:.

So ya, "idiots are vaping 15% nicotine". 15% nic is 150 mg/ml. He means 15 mg/ml, which is 1.5% nic.

This professor doesn't know what he's talking about. What subject is his degree in?! Wait a sec, does he actually have a degree
l_book.gif

:facepalm:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
His statement about 15% nicotine is totally out of the ballpark. As mentioned, 10% is the highest concentration most of us can buy anywhere. I vape at 3.6%, and that's considered high. I've heard of mixes as high as 4.8%, but not many blenders are willing to furnish even that.

Your professor might have lotsa smarts, but he lacks knowledge.

Mind you, off-topic ignorance is normal in most fields, and then you add the Dunning-Kruger effect in there and it gets ugly. I do see it with professors, and just as often with engineers and doctors.

He might have meant 15 ml/mg, but that's not going to be enough to overdose on realistically (by the old toxicity standards it would). I started out at 22 when I stabilized (I was already doing DIY at the time so that's the reason for the odd number). Even that's only 2.2% (a touch less, but not enough to matter). By the old standards, I should have been dead before noon every day, and again around 5 PM. I survived and felt fine, thank you.

While 15% is available to labs and pharma companies and the like, it isn't available to the likes of you and me. Anything over 10% (a touch less, actually, but again it's close enough) or 100 mg/ml isn't sold to the causal DIY person. And of course we'd never vape it at 100 mg/ml--36 is really the absolute outside, with 24 being the more normal maximum.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
lol, your professor is the idiot with a limited understanding of concentrations.
Professor of what? Hope it's nothing important enough for him to have access to pharmaceuticals.:confused:

1000 milligrams in a gram

500 mg per gram would be 50 percent
100 mgs 10 percent
50 mg 5 percent
10 mg 1 percent

explain it to your professor in parts per million and really confuse him lol

tell him you are vaping 18000:D ppm so his stuff is nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread