What would you recommend for someone quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I was talking in another thread, and the question came up that may be a good topic... for the experienced vapers, if you had to recommend one vaping setup... both atomizer and battery.... what would you recommend to someone who had.. say.. a pack and a half per day habit? I am curious as to what you would recommend to get someone to stop smoking, and it be an "end-game" product.....one they wouldn't need upgrading later. Both atomizer and device.

And yes, I know some people may turn it into a hobby like me and want to buy a variety, but I am strictly speaking for the stopping smoking part.

I'll go first...

I'd recommend an Istick 30 with a subtank mini. I think that atomizer and battery combo offers a convenient size, good juice capacity, reliable, a wide variety of vaping options, and just a good "grab and go" setup.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
It really depends on the person. I don't think any of us have the device we started on, because we all have different tastes and you don't know what that is until you experiment.

If I had to recommend one setup to someone without knowing them or their preference, i would choose a high wattage mod with a removable battery, and a delta 2 or something that will have flavor at higher residence and can be brought down low for clouds if they wanted that. But this is kind of a moot point because like I said, it's impossible to gauge what somebody is going to want after they start.

I've got one friend who's perfectly content on an Atlantis and istick 30, but for me that wouldn't work too well at all. I love the 20w mvp with a taifun, thats one of my favorite setups. Totally not what most people here are using though.

What I recommend is the cheapest setup first. An aspire et-s tank and whatever 15 dollar ego battery you think is pretty. And then spend some money if you like it. Get a good mod first. And then get a few tanks. I wouldn't recommend an istick though, they are flimsy. I would recommend an mvp 3. The worst thing you can do to a new quitter is give them something that can frustrate them.

Reactions: jdrewry

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
Be delighted to answer that. I got my buddy going with iStick 30 with a handful of CE5's. Total investment around $60. He's having fun with flavors and at the cost of the CE5's he can have a variety for $20 bucks. Even I have a few and find the Aspire CE5's are nearly as good as the Nautilus mini. Just as a word of advice though, he/she may find the CE5's a bit airy compared to analogs...my answer for that is to put a drop of super glue gel on one of the air holes at the base. That makes it draw more like a cig.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    The iStick 30 would be great.

But, I would suggest a clearo with a 1.5-2.0 ohm coil and some 18 mg juice. That way they can get max life from the battery and not blow through juice right away.

They can upgrade to a sub ohm tank later once they learn the ropes and get off the smokes.

Mimikim1234

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2013
    Chicago
    An Mvp 3.0 pro wouldn't be a bad choice. It has great battery life, and they can charge their phone on it.

It's range is 6 to 60 watts, so if they start with something like a CE5, but decide to try sub ohm vaping later, they won't have to upgrade their battery (just tanks).

Mvps are very sturdy, and innokin offers great customer service. If the vendor won't replace a defective product (under warranty), innokin will. I know from personal experience.

Only caveat; wattage adjusts in .5 increments, so you can't fine tune your wattage by .1 increments. With that said, I haven't had any issues finding a good setting for all my tanks.

Reactions: khalidmna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Be delighted to answer that. I got my buddy going with iStick 30 with a handful of CE5's. Total investment around $60. He's having fun with flavors and at the cost of the CE5's he can have a variety for $20 bucks.

I would go with an Istick 30 (solid device) and several Kanger T3s BCC tanks. Good capacity, good flavor, Less then $5.00 each, replacement coils less than $1.00 each. Less cleaning and can keep several filled with E-liquid.

That's something I didn't think of.... the price of the CE5's mean they can try out a wider variety of juices since they're starting out. Makes it more fun for them to experiment with.

An Mvp 3.0 pro wouldn't be a bad choice. It has great battery life, and they can charge their phone on it.

It's range is 6 to 60 watts, so if they start with something like a CE5, but decide to try sub ohm vaping later, they won't have to upgrade their battery (just tanks).

Mvps are very sturdy, and innokin offers great customer service. If the vendor won't replace a defective product (under warranty), innokin will. I know from personal experience.

MVP would be a good starting unit as well. It might be a good choice if they didn't mind investing more money... Also, if they didn't mind a slightly larger device.

But, I would suggest a clearo with a 1.5-2.0 ohm coil and some 18 mg juice. That way they can get max life from the battery and not blow through juice right away.

They can upgrade to a sub ohm tank later once they learn the ropes and get off the smokes.

That's why I suggested the Kanger subtank. People forget that it does have a 1.2 ohm coil in it as well for the newer folks. But like what they suggested above, you can have 10 clearos with different juices for the price of one subtank.

Reactions: smacuser

Abigale

Mar 21, 2015
    San Diego Ca USA
    I'm not an experienced vaper yet but can say that the simpler the better. I started vaping at the end of January, knowing nothing about it or even knowing anyone who vaped. I bought high powered equipment which was far to much for me, found this site and started reading. I then bought a couple of little Ego T batteries and a Mini protank 3 and felt much more comfortable vaping with that set up. Still use it, however, I am now slowly becoming more interested in the higher wattage equipment I originally purchased.

hashtag

Ultra Member
    May 17, 2015
    This is a hard question because I think quitting and sticking with vaping requires a few stages/upgrades. The first hurdle is the form factor, the small ego style battery looks and feels more cig like and is a great tool for transitioning away from cigs. Once you get used to vaping it seems like form factor becomes less important and people find either a preference for higher nic liquid or bigger clouds. Based on that preference they can then make a purchase decision that will fit them in the semi long term. After a while with a device that suits their preferred style of vaping they will get a hunger for more features or variety and likely upgrade again.

I really don't know anyone that still uses their first setup and have also found very few people who were able to quit smoking starting with a more advanced setup. It just seems to be the kind of thing that works better in stages. I think the Istick30 with the subtank as you recommended is as close as you will come to a good introductory setup that will hold up through the progression but a lot of people don't like the subtank level clouds early on. I see it more as a second setup that would have a long life for someone just getting past the ego type setup stage.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Houghton, MI
    I got my mom an istick 30w and a nautilus mini. i think it'll work fine for her, but once it dies I'll go with a brand that has better warranty. this is her first try at vaping since she tried a cigalike a few years ago. She smokes too much for an ego battery to last a long time, and doesn't want to carry more than one at a time.

Reactions: thmstwwng

jhhollier

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 3, 2014
    Something relatively inexpensive and simple to use. The person needs to find out if they even enjoy vaping before moving forward. As others have posted, a Nautilus (or Mini) with something like an iStick 20 or MVP 20w would give a good vape and a reasonable amount of battery life. Nothing wrong with eGo style batteries I just found that they don't last long on a charge and it could be irritating to someone starting out.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    As somebody who recently quit analogs not that many months ago, my advice would be to suggest something simple. I know that if I were to give a kit to a relative so that they could quit analogs, I know that they wouldn't be visiting any forums or finding out information about how to make things work, or what kind of tanks they need, or coils or anything else that they didn't know.

The whole set up would have to be really simple, without any fuss, otherwise they'd probably just keep puffing on their analogs. I also would not give them anything that is not shaped like an analog, so no boxmods, because a smoker doesn't want to be holding a box in their hand, they want something round and not too fat. I wouldn't give anything wider or bigger than an Evod, which is what I am currently using.

kr8mods

May 12, 2015
    When i started out i was using an emow meaga by kanger was a great first set up. It held 3 ml of juice and the coils where really easy to change. I used it for about a week and wanted something bigger and better lol. I had a buddy that was smoking 3 packs of analogs a day and was speing around 300 dollars a week. After I bought my next set up a plumvale and stingray i took the emow to my buddy and he hasnt had a single analog in 8 months. So thats a good recommendation as well.

Reactions: motordude
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread