Whatever happened to organic Japanese cotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm still using Japanese cotton but I don't buy it from vape shops; I get mine from Amazon--shipped from Japan. Great for removing makeup, also. :) Many vapers have switched to rayon.

RDA's? Plenty of people are still using them, they are great for sampling DIY ejuices. Don't know about preferences. I never had enough patience for RDAs. Too much hassle. :D

Are RDA's a thing of the past?

Version-Vapor-Vaper

Dec 15, 2015
It’s so cheap to buy organic cotton now on the web. This also makes me think that building coils is going the way of the dodo bird.

So what atomizer are you building on if not an rda? I know several people who think cotton bacon is organic cotton. Um not true. Cotton doesn’t taste like a$s when you dry hit; It makes you bust a lung coughing.

Version-Vapor-Vaper

Dec 15, 2015
CLR coils? Do tell! Sorry treat me like a noob because I actually stopped vaping for the last year. Then fell upon some horrific circumstances and I needed nicotine and had no vape gear with me, so I had to resort to analogs, ugh.

RDA’s are as simple as it gets! You drip press the fire button and that’s it.

I was building my own coils for a while. Now I find it easier to order spooled alien claptons and just do the wrapping myself. I notice when I do this I don’t get as many of those satisfying pops I love so much when I buy prewrapped coils. Feedback on satisfying pops plz?

Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I still use Japanese organic cotton.. if your local vape shop stopped carrying it just order it online. I won't vape using any thing else.

RTA for airy MTL to RL

Hastur (the original version not the new one)
Silverplay (recently released version not the old)
Kayfun 5

MTL to tighter restricted lung

Siren v2

RDA for a MTL to a little tighter RL

Ammit

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Why would a vape shop carry organic cotton pads when you can buy them for under $10 on Amazon? Instead they can stock things like cotton bacon and now those fluffed cotton things with aglets on them that are marked up like 10,000%. Ten rewicks with ten aglets then back for more for $5. Or a bag of pads for $10 that will last you a year and hundreds of rewicks? Easy inventory decision.

And what's up with the death of rdas? It feels like reading your own obituary. There are new ones released almost daily, both high end and mass market. There are also lots of new mtl RTAs out when it looked pretty barren for mtl vapers for a few years there.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I'm a big fan of the Ego One tanks and CLR coils. I don't know where you live but in the US you can buy them here Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank , Joyetech CLR Coils (5 pack) I use Rayon myself. I bought it from Sally Beauty but you can find Rayon wick on ebay. Make sure it's 100% Rayon. Some of it is actually cotton. Here is an example from an ebay listing Graham Professional Cellucotton Beauty Coil (Rayon fiber) 40ft / 12.2m | eBay

I just checked the Sally Beauty website, I didn't see the pure Rayon there.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It’s so cheap to buy organic cotton now on the web. This also makes me think that building coils is going the way of the dodo bird.

IMO, there are many more people learning to build coils now. People who never thought about it, or planned to learn it, are...in the last few years. It's in part a way of preparing to be able to vape...in spite of whatever the FDA eventually does regarding vaping and/or possible customs issues with getting drop-in coils from manufacturers overseas for the longterm. Also, there are lots of new RBAs, many with very easy build decks, that provide terrific flavor, etc....which also encourages more people to learn to build. It's definitely way less expensive, too!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I tried Different types of Cotton and Rayon. Decided I like Muji Cotton the Best. It's just so Damn Simple to use. So I bought one of these 135pcs pack...

5020800-5.jpg

A couple of weeks later, for some reason, I was poking around Amazon and saw that the same 135pcs pack was on sale for like 7 Bucks with Free Shipping. And I thought I should get a Back-Up pack. You know. For just in case.

I'm sure glad I did that. Because after like 4 years, I'm about 1/2 thru the 1st Pack.

LOL

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
There is always something new that's all the rage then it fizzles out when the next fad comes along..

It started when we all ran to PetsMart to buy fish tank filters way back in like 2010 and we are currently at Rayon.... What's the next all the rage? Not sure but I am happily using Muji Cotton and don't have ay plans to switch...

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I love using KGD. I can taste a big difference between Rayon & cotton, but not really between different cottons.

For me, it's about convenience. I can pre-cut a bag full of about 4mm wide strips, and it's so consistent in being the perfect amount for a 2mm ID coil. Beats the hell out of pulling apart pieces of cotton bacon or rayon, trying to consistently get the exact amount needed. And I know some people peel the outer layer off, but I never have, and have never had wicking issues doing it that way.

I am surprised vape shops don't carry it, as well as Muji, rayon, and others though. It's not like it has a shelf life, and seems people would pay a really nice markup for such a cheap item, while they were in the store.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There is always something new that's all the rage then it fizzles out when the next fad comes along..

It started when we all ran to PetsMart to buy fish tank filters way back in like 2010 and we are currently at Rayon.... What's the next all the rage? Not sure but I am happily using Muji Cotton and don't have ay plans to switch...

Been through all those latest and greatest wicking materials. Found some blue foam and drink stirrers in the closet a while back. Rayon has had my focus for a while now. I still have Egyptian cotton, Japanese Cotton, and regular old cotton. I'm still stuck on Sally's Blue Box Rayon as my best vape.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Remember a few years ago? It was all the rage. Now there’s no vape shop in the area who still carries it.

Cotton bacon tastes like s@&t when I get a dry hit. Also, am I the last person who actually prefers RDA’s?
I love my RDA's :) Bit lazy and I keep a tank around for those difficult exeat's...but I always favour my trusty RDA's :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread