What's all the whining about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Ok, so I just had to see for myself.... the wonder of Blu.....

Just got mine in a trade with another forum member. He was kind enough to pre-charge everything for me so that I didn't have to wait.

I have been using my trusty 510 all day up until the point when I popped open the Blu packaging.

I was astonished at the small size of the assembled unit... OMG these are TINY. So easy to carry around.

Absolutely LOVE the PCC, best design out there. Carries an assembled unit (why don't other companies do this????) plus charging extra battery and 5 carts.
Another bonus is that I won't drain my charged battery because you only have to unscrew it. In my 510 PCC you have to flip the batt over which doesn't really fit in the case well like that. Best convenient system in e-cigs IMO.

Ok, so the part everyone wants to know... is it a raging POS?

NOPE.

The member provided me with a pack of flavored carts, and a pack of empty carts. Once I cleaned and sanitized those, then filled them with my own juice, I began to vape.

So far 2 hours of HEAVY, non-stop vaping. Batt still going strong. Wow the LED on these are BRIGHT compared to my other e-cigs.

Cart life isn't the best, the wicking is minimal. With all the room in the cart, you'd expect more wicking to hold more juice. But when I filled my own I got 7 drops in, then after I stuffed it, I topped it off with 3 more, so not TERRIBLE considering the size.

Vapor production?

Do you really want to know?

Really?

Actually, damn impressive given the size of this thing. Is it a 510? No, but then again, it is about 40% smaller too.

On a regular vape.. short primer puff, long inhale into the mouth, most of the time it doesn't even cut me off. I get probably about 20% less vapor than my well-broken-in 510. Enough to satisfy for sure.

If I power hit it... short primer puff, direct lung inhale... it let's me hit about 8 seconds or so, and I get a nice amount of vapor. Easily enough to satisfy me.

As I see it:

Pros:
Tiny size, makes it easy to take anywhere
Gorgeous glossy black finish, kinda "dressy" in a way
Most amazing PCC out there. Easy to use, carries a lot, and sized like a pack of cigarettes... PERFECTION
Damn good vapor production for the size. Still "good" compared to a 510
Good amount of flavor, but not as flavorful as a 510
Good batt life for the small batt size
Easy to recharge in PCC is batt does die, no worries

I feel I can take this out and vape all day with the quick PCC recharge. I'm not worried.

Cons:
Uber-sensitive battery. Walk with it in your hand, and the breeze from swinging arm turns it on
Short cart life. About 40% less vaping time per cart than a 510
Laborous to top off due to deep-well design of cart, you need a paper clip to push it up
MORE laborous to re-fill than a 510. Set aside some time to fill your carts

Overall, it is awesome really. Not a 401, 901 or 510... but look at how tiny it is! You have to be realistic in your expectations, and it exceeds the expectations that I had for it. Nice vapor, great PCC, good flavor.. a satisfying vape. I will hit my 510 when I need "more" of course, but this is a killer backup, and great for heading out for a while.

I don't have to carry a PCC AND carry the assembled unit around, which can sometimes be a PITA.

The uber-sensitivity of the batt is annoying, yes... no doubt. It may not be useful in an area with lots of people and noise, certainly not in any wind.

I love it, and it will have its place for sure. Will it replace my 510? Oh hell no, but it is a great back-up.

jen28f

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
Chester, WV
And I would really love to hear if all the pieces and parts are still working in 2 weeks. That was my major complaint...waiting, then everything died.
I do agree with you that the pcc is awesome. Convenient, durable, nice looking. I wish they made them for every style out there!
Thanks for your review. I appreciate your candor.
Don't forget to update, though!;)

Mo JJC

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Illinois, USA
I have had my Blu since march or april, Time flies. I still am using all the orginal equipment, but this was a pre-rush unit. I orded a spare entire pack and an atty pair. 8 wks later, end of July they just sent the whole unit. I emailed a bunch of times trying to get them to understand I had ordered extra attys also.They sent one atty and the site says sold in pairs. Have used the new unit and so far so good. But w/ the CS issues I'll stick w/510 for any additional stock. I use a syringe to fill carts and 5 last through work.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
The main issue is with the company not delivering it's products. Delivery times have been insanely slow.

You skipped that by getting yours in trade. That is why you have no idea.

Oh sure, that part I totally get, believe me. But I just wanted to tackle the other topics that seem to come up a lot. The only OTHER topic I cannot speak to is the longevity of the batts.

And I would really love to hear if all the pieces and parts are still working in 2 weeks. That was my major complaint...waiting, then everything died.
I do agree with you that the pcc is awesome. Convenient, durable, nice looking. I wish they made them for every style out there!
Thanks for your review. I appreciate your candor.
Don't forget to update, though!;)

Absolutely, I will update every few weeks, or as things happen. But since this did come from another member, he also used it a bit as well, so while it may be MY first day with it, it's not the actual first day it has been used.

So far, so good, will keep updates coming, thanks.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
I really appreciate your post, because as a month-long blu user awaiting a 510, it's nice to read opinions from someone coming in the other direction.

I'm not in the least bit dissatisfied with my blu, and precisely for the reasons you listed. The pack is brilliant. I see people complaining about the short battery life, or their blu burning them through their pocket, and I have to wonder why they aren't using the pack. Especially since it's easy to use one-handed and you can pull the cig right into your mouth with your teeth.

The equipment seems dirt cheap ($10 for two atomizers, shipped), vapor production is great as long as you refill the carts instead of using the stock foil-sealed ones, etc. A tip for you: if you want to carry the blu around in the pack, buy TWO two-packs of atomizers for $19.90 (mine took a week to arrive), refill five carts with whatever flavors you like, and "cap" them with the new atomizers and the extra from the starter kit. Put them in the pack atty-up; they fit fine. It's like carrying around one full e-cig, one extra battery, and five cartomizers. When one runs dry, just unscrew the whole cart-plus-atty unit and screw on another.

I'm getting a 510 mostly out of curiosity, and I'm already dreading the PCC not storing a fully-assembled e-cig. I suspect that the blu will be my main walking-around e-cig and the 510 will be for home use, but I really won't know until I try. It'd be hard giving up the convenience of the pack, though.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Ordered Blu on 6/29, would most likely still be waiting had I not sent a personal email to Jason Healy(Blu president). In the meantime ordered a Yeti(510) from electronicstix.com-received in 2 days-fell in Love-Just a top of line unit, no question.

Finally got Blu in Late July. One battery DOA also issue with charger. Had to send another personal email to Jason Healy for replacements to be sent. Still using my 510 all this time-happy as a pig in slop with it's performance.

Got replacement battery, etc.. a week later for Blu. Started trying the blu. Laughed at its performance compared to my 510. Vapor is semi-weak and inconsistent, sometimes the first vape after a long break is acceptable, but seems that subsequent vapes taper off considerably in vapor production. Tried refilling cart with paper clip method and almost shot a piece of plastic into my eye- way too much of a hassle. At this point the only reason(s) I'm keeping the Blu is that I've written off the $59.95 almost two months ago. Also, the packaging looks cool on my shelf. The PCC is nice and all, but it's plastic and I know that the case top joint will eventually wear away with continued open/closing cycles.
But the main reason I'm keeping it is so I can just say that I actually endured and own one, no matter how crappy it is.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Sorry to hear of your experience. I have been smoking the poop outta mine since it arrived and I am very pleased with it. Yes my 510 is better, but aside from comparing them directly (which is foolish, they are in different leagues), it is a stand-up little unit!

But I do understand all of the issues with dead batts, chargers etc making it impossible for folks to look past the problems. But if you get a good one... you've got a solid system.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Ordered Blu on 6/29, would most likely still be waiting had I not sent a personal email to Jason Healy(Blu president). In the meantime ordered a Yeti(510) from electronicstix.com-received in 2 days-fell in Love-Just a top of line unit, no question.

Finally got Blu in Late July. One battery DOA also issue with charger. Had to send another personal email to Jason Healy for replacements to be sent. Still using my 510 all this time-happy as a pig in slop with it's performance.

Got replacement battery, etc.. a week later for Blu. Started trying the blu. Laughed at its performance compared to my 510. Vapor is semi-weak and inconsistent, sometimes the first vape after a long break is acceptable, but seems that subsequent vapes taper off considerably in vapor production. Tried refilling cart with paper clip method and almost shot a piece of plastic into my eye- way too much of a hassle. At this point the only reason(s) I'm keeping the Blu is that I've written off the $59.95 almost two months ago. Also, the packaging looks cool on my shelf. The PCC is nice and all, but it's plastic and I know that the case top joint will eventually wear away with continued open/closing cycles.
But the main reason I'm keeping it is so I can just say that I actually endured and own one, no matter how crappy it is.

good post, lol. Glad you are finally vaping with a good device.

CardinalNation

Jul 25, 2009
I ordered Blu on June 19th and got them in just under a month. The uniqueness and PCC really attracted me to these e-cigs. Within two days I knew I'd never order from Blu again. Now it is not what you think. My batteries have to continued to maintain their life, the atomizers are still working and now that I am refilling carts and not dealing with the foil packs I am pretty happy with my Blu.

However, while waiting for my e-cigs to get here I ordered another kit from a different company. The M402 from LitecigUSA. Similar in size and vapor production but what I have noticed most is the realistic draw I get from the 402. With Blu I can hear the air rushing throughthe atomizer and have to cover the holes of the atty to get a decent draw, while the 402 is more like an anolog in the I don't notice the noise or have contort my fingers in a way just to get a throat hit.

In the future I will continue up the e-cig ladder eventually someday even venturing into the manual batteries, but as I said I'm looking for a more analog feel. Overall the Blu has been a great "gateway" e-cig.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I ordered Blu on June 19th and got them in just under a month. The uniqueness and PCC really attracted me to these e-cigs. Within two days I knew I'd never order from Blu again. Now it is not what you think. My batteries have to continued to maintain their life, the atomizers are still working and now that I am refilling carts and not dealing with the foil packs I am pretty happy with my Blu.

However, while waiting for my e-cigs to get here I ordered another kit from a different company. The M402 from LitecigUSA. Similar in size and vapor production but what I have noticed most is the realistic draw I get from the 402. With Blu I can hear the air rushing throughthe atomizer and have to cover the holes of the atty to get a decent draw, while the 402 is more like an anolog in the I don't notice the noise or have contort my fingers in a way just to get a throat hit.

In the future I will continue up the e-cig ladder eventually someday even venturing into the manual batteries, but as I said I'm looking for a more analog feel. Overall the Blu has been a great "gateway" e-cig.

You can't get more analog feel than the throat hit and no battery cut off from a manual. You also can draw on a manual just like you did on an analog which you can't do with an auto.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
You can't get more analog feel than the throat hit and no battery cut off from a manual. You also can draw on a manual just like you did on an analog which you can't do with an auto.

That's interesting-- it sort of depends where your priorities lie when it comes to being "more like an analog," I guess, because I've heard several people say that they find the blu (and the DSE084, and other teeny autos) more like analogs because of the size, and not needing to push a button to take a drag. They better echo the look, size, and handling-feel of analogs (if not the smoking-feel).

I have a 510 in the mail right now and I'm intrigued to see how I feel with the larger size and manual battery. I apparently don't draw very heavily at all, because in a month of use, I've never once triggered the blu's cutoff. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread