What's causing this crackling noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Thats good to know. As a budding coil builder, i now have 24 feet of 22g kanthal that ill have to get creative with....lol.
Well I find 22awg makes a good core for Claptons, depending on the alloy you use. I like to build low, so usually I'll use 24awg and under.

One time we accidentally ordered 16awg for all of our stores, and I put it in my vc temple. It vaped like ...., but ill be damned if I didn't get it to fit and fire lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Left: Kanthal coil, Right: SS coil

They look pretty similar to me. Difference would be you can temp control one and not the other (TCR values of the metals).

View attachment 720291

Tool: Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

IMO things like 22G wire have their place. Mostly in single coil set ups with massive wattage and voltage. You can use them to build really low. But you need a lot of power to heat up that amount of metal.

In a dual coil set up the resistance is so low that you can't do anything other than round wraps. So you don't get anything out of it other than TC.

But in my experience, I would rather use something like 2x 26g core with a 38g wrap over a single 22g coil.

Look at this. Roughly the same resistance. 5x the surface area. More surface = more juice being vaporized = more flavour.

View attachment 720295

If you don't want to take the time to make claptons you can do a poor man's clapton: a twisted build. You take a length of wire, fold it in 2 or 3, twist it until you can't twist anymore.

3x the surface area doing this. Super easy to build. Super easy to heat.

View attachment 720299
Twisting wire was the first experiment i did. Makes an impressive beastly looking coil.Makes big flavor too. Never thought to go with 3 strands though. I may try that when i get some thinner wire. I have a spool of 22ga kanthal i guess ill save for other experiments later on. Ive got enough wick n wire clapton/alien wire on hand to make sure i have plenty of coils until i step up my building skills. Thanks for the technical info and resources

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Twisting wire was the first experiment i did. Makes an impressive beastly looking coil.Makes big flavor too. Never thought to go with 3 strands though. I may try that when i get some thinner wire. I have a spool of 22ga kanthal i guess ill save for other experiments later on. Ive got enough wick n wire clapton/alien wire on hand to make sure i have plenty of coils until i step up my building skills. Thanks for the technical info and resources
Twisting different gauges together makes for a nice vape....26/28/30 maybe? Works great

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I generally use kanthal and once in the while I'll use SS. My previous build was with kanthal using 22G, 6 wrap dual, 3mm inside diameter at 65W. The cotton was a little tight inside (and the legs touching the deck) with the Scottish roll. I didn't get any crackle from this build as far as I can remember.

Just before I took out 24g SS 316L and did an 8 wrap dual, 3mm inside diameter and did the cotton the same way and at 65W. I'm getting so much crackling now.

I think it has to be the wire. The kanthal and SS builds were on the same rda too, the velocity v2. The juice is the same too. I'm hoping someone can carify this for me. It's not a very big deal but it's something I want to get to the bottom of. Thanks.

I call it gettin ahead of the vape (in terms of flow). It's kinda like the vape backfire. Too lean for the pedal. Crackling is like you found the sweet spot for your configuration. But it's on the downside dry side from that point on…the diffusion end of what's been vaped rather than the density side where flavor lives. Enjoy it while it lasts. Or plant your flag there.

You'll see it on fresh cotton builds as you head down down towards dry. And with Nextel (RxW) it can easily be half the drops in your dripper (fresh batt) if you dialed in a tight wind. Glorious.

Enjoy the vape.

Good luck. :)

p.s. Why I enjoy RDA's so much. Use tanks for chaining low watts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread