The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What's hiding under your PCC? Updated

Discussion in 'Vapor4Life' started by Nilius, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nilius

Nilius Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2010
    CLE
  2. Adrenalynn

Adrenalynn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Is there a buck-boost on that circuit board, Nilius? I gave mine away. Three NiMH cells will output 3.6v.

3. Nilius

Jan 23, 2010
    CLE
    Um... Uh...

More pics?

4. Nilius

Jan 23, 2010
    CLE
    I don't know if you can see what you are looking for Lynn, but here are some closer pics of the circuit board. I couldn't take a pic of the top of the new one, I didn't want to destroy it (like I did the old)

Top of the old one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom of the new one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Adrenalynn

Thanks!

Nothing exciting on the bottom. The top I'll need to enhance to see. I'm not seeing any obvious bucking circuit at first glance. Have you read the output when it's charging an external battery from its internal battery? If it has no bucking, it can't possibly put out enough to fully charge a battery. (3x1.2v nominal, versus 3.7v minimum). It really needs to put out something closer to 5v to be able to charge a LiIon cell...

6. Nilius

Jan 23, 2010
    CLE
    I didn't check the voltage. I meant to today but I got too busy at work (where my vom stays). I'll check it tomorrow and let ya know

7. dEEzPuffs

dEEzPuffs Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Southern Cal
    So it is NiMH not Li-Ion as I thought. I think you stated it was Li-Ion in another post.

8. Belletrist

Belletrist Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 21, 2009
    Virginia
    She did... turns out there are apparently some of each out there.

9. v1John

v1John Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    va
    It says 1200 milliamp hours! I wonder if that would make a heck of a mod.
    It may need a new circuit, tho,
    and a female to female adaptor?

10. Adrenalynn

Cut it out with the careful comprehension. :p

11. Adrenalynn

You'd need to rip all the circuitry out, and throw it away. And throw away the connector. And then the battery would be 5x the size of an equivalent Li* technology.

So, in theory, sure. You'd get two pieces of plastic that don't fit together and a battery that is far heavier and physically larger than it needs to be - but hey - why not?

12. v1John

Mar 23, 2010
    va
    Well, not for me. :p Not now.

...I was just thinking about the 1200mah battery.

13. Adrenalynn

3000mAh batteries can be had in that form-factor. Heck, tape two tiny little cell phone batteries together and you're going to get ~1600mAh.

14. v1John

Mar 23, 2010
    va
    Wow. That's right.
    So if some PCCs are possibly not fully charging batteries, maybe the next version is needed.

15. Mr.Stick

Mr.Stick Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2010
    Colorado
    Fun stuff, that NiMH. I've been doing the nerdy can-I-build-my-own-mod thing lately, and I gotta say that NiMH looks nice, but for the lower voltage per cell. They rate at 50% the energy density, but they can be recharged a thousand times... thats enticing. Size is an issue though, as, quite literally, the spacial demand is 2.5 to 3 greater in comparison to Lithium for the same voltage kick. I'm waiting on the motivation to convert my pcc into a carto/box, and if I ever get around to it I'll post how it works out.

16. v1John

Mar 23, 2010
    va

When I charge my batteries on my USB ports, the light eventually turns blue, and stays blue.

When I charge them on the PCC, iirc the light keeps blinks occasionally, and remains like that for longer than I can tell.

Would either of those have anything to do with whether or not my batteries have reached a really full charge?

How about this question: What if I charge a battery on my PCC, and then as soon as I think it's done charging I put the same battery in the USB charger? Would this help me determine if the battery was really totally charged?

17. Nilius

Jan 23, 2010
    CLE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.