What's hiding under your PCC? Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilius

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
CLE
nilius17.com
I was able to remove it without destruction this time :)

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

New post with the same pics as above
What’s hiding under your PCC (updated) Nilius

Original blog entry with the older PCC
http://nilius17.com/2010/04/05/what-is-under-your-pcc/

Last edited:

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Thanks!

Nothing exciting on the bottom. The top I'll need to enhance to see. I'm not seeing any obvious bucking circuit at first glance. Have you read the output when it's charging an external battery from its internal battery? If it has no bucking, it can't possibly put out enough to fully charge a battery. (3x1.2v nominal, versus 3.7v minimum). It really needs to put out something closer to 5v to be able to charge a LiIon cell...

dEEzPuffs

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2010
Southern Cal
Is there a buck-boost on that circuit board, Nilius? I gave mine away. Three NiMH cells will output 3.6v.

Thanks!

Nothing exciting on the bottom. The top I'll need to enhance to see. I'm not seeing any obvious bucking circuit at first glance. Have you read the output when it's charging an external battery from its internal battery? If it has no bucking, it can't possibly put out enough to fully charge a battery. (3x1.2v nominal, versus 3.7v minimum). It really needs to put out something closer to 5v to be able to charge a LiIon cell...

So it is NiMH not Li-Ion as I thought. I think you stated it was Li-Ion in another post.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
It says 1200 milliamp hours! I wonder if that would make a heck of a mod.

You'd need to rip all the circuitry out, and throw it away. And throw away the connector. And then the battery would be 5x the size of an equivalent Li* technology.

So, in theory, sure. You'd get two pieces of plastic that don't fit together and a battery that is far heavier and physically larger than it needs to be - but hey - why not?

Mr.Stick

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado
Fun stuff, that NiMH. I've been doing the nerdy can-I-build-my-own-mod thing lately, and I gotta say that NiMH looks nice, but for the lower voltage per cell. They rate at 50% the energy density, but they can be recharged a thousand times... thats enticing. Size is an issue though, as, quite literally, the spacial demand is 2.5 to 3 greater in comparison to Lithium for the same voltage kick. I'm waiting on the motivation to convert my pcc into a carto/box, and if I ever get around to it I'll post how it works out.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Thanks!

When I charge my batteries on my USB ports, the light eventually turns blue, and stays blue.

When I charge them on the PCC, iirc the light keeps blinks occasionally, and remains like that for longer than I can tell.

Would either of those have anything to do with whether or not my batteries have reached a really full charge?

How about this question: What if I charge a battery on my PCC, and then as soon as I think it's done charging I put the same battery in the USB charger? Would this help me determine if the battery was really totally charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread