• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What's in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
When setting this group up I wasn't sure what to call it so I started a poll to include suggestions and a few extra ideas.

We ended up having most votes for 'Wrecked & Bonkers' so that's what I've called the group for now.

This can be easily changed if we decide that's a good idea and there have been doubts about the wisdom of choosing a name that might be seen as negative for the people we are.

This is what Silver says:

... Although I like the name 'Wrecked and Bonkers' too (because it is hilarious :lol: and where in heck would we all be if we didn't have humor, eh ?!), I'm also a bit wary of picking a name with perhaps some 'negative' connotations, ie; anything that may 'put ourselves down' to the 'outside world' in any way.

What I mean is this; I always try to approach life (and my condition, with all its limitations) in as positive a way as possible. I feel I have to as if I didn't, I would probably go nuts (bonkers ;) !) because it's so incredibly hard and exhausting to live with something that you can never get away from, even for a short respite. There is always the risk of blaming oneself or suffering from low esteem (never feeling 'good enough'), so I'm careful not to allow myself to become too negative about/down on myself (don't always succeed by the way :D :rolleyes: !).

Perhaps too seemingly tragic or corny (please ignore if so !), but hence my suggestion of 'Better together' - ie; our situation may not be great (understatement !), but we make the best we can of it, and life in general, and support each other as much as possible to feel better.

Anyway, whatever name we end up choosing (what's in a name ;) ?), it's très cool to be able to come together like this and learn from each other. Thank you to all who have come forward so candidly with their 'afflictions', I find it very interesting and informative as I had never heard of some of the conditions mentioned. I applaud your openness, honesty and courage :thumbs: !

Cheers,
Silver

The other suggestions can be found on this thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-discussion/17218-disability-health-social-group.html

If you care one way or another about what this group is called then this is the place to talk about it.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
I do hold the views of others with the utmost respect and of course would not want to upset anyone in any way especially over a name.

I like the Wrecked and Bonkers title, as I have learnt over the years that if we cant laugh at ourselves life is going to be very depressing indeed.

I have learnt that laughter is better for us than any pill, treatment or lecture from a wise physician.

Here in this forum, we will be able to share, both negative feelings and those of a more positive nature, some of us perhaps for the first time, enabling us to help one another, even if that be a shoulder to cry upon.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
When I saw the title of this forum as I would browse the forum's home page I just assumed it had something to do with bikers or something along those lines so I never hopped in to check it out.

When gep recommended I join, considering what I had just posted, I thought aah..yeah..makes sense.

Now I think the humor of the title is perfect.

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
Hi all,

First of all, thank you Kate for bringing this under consideration, I find it very interesting to read what others thoughts and feeling are on this.

Despite what I wrote in my post (and I do still stand by it), I do also agree wholeheartedly that humor is a very important aspect to being able to cope with what life has challenged us with. I found the name hilarious from the start and have also found, like others, that it has grown on me. So, as far as I'm concerned, this forum has it's name and it's a very good one too :thumb: !

Might I also take this opportunity to say (again) that I am grateful and awed by the openess and honesty with which many of you have shared your lifes' challenges, and also by the kind, respectful and supportive responses.

I haven't responded much yet myself (healthwise not a great time for me right now, very low energy :(), but am reading and it does more for me than I could have imagined, to know that I am not alone in my challenges. Thank you so much for sharing !

You guys/gals are great !

Cheers,
Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread