Whats left in the Needle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This has bothered me for some time and I was never clear so I finally decided to ask.

When you use a syringe (with or without needle this applies to both), do you ever notice that tiny bit (1-2 drops) left in the tip? I was recently mixing up some FA Apple at about 1.5% and because the drip cap on my bottle is broken I have to use a blunt tip needle to draw from it (at least without prying off what remains of the cap). I measured it out at .15cc and drew that much out, pushed the plunger into the bottle and decided to remove the syringe and pull the plunger again. What came back was about 0.1cc of what I presume was in the syringe. So when we measure out .15cc on the syringe does that include this small amount left in the needle/tip or did I just add an extra 0.1cc to my mix?

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
the graduations on the syringe start at the bottom of the barrel, the amount left in the needle and the tip of the syringe will vary depending on the gauge and size of the needle. Trust the graduations, if you draw .15cc you are actually pulling .25cc (assuming a .1cc over-run) and will expel .15cc from the syringe. If the syringe was dry you will have an air bubble at the top, measure to the bubble, not the plunger.

I just did some googling on the subject, seems there is a-lot of confusion about this in the cycling and bodybuilding world as well ;)

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Imagine you are injecting a rhino with 1 cc of something. Now using same syringe with different sizeneedle to inject a mouse with one cc. This makes it clear the measuring must start at the bottom of the barrel and stop at the top line of Liguid. There will always be liquid left inside the needle after giving an injection. If you are worried about the amount left in the needle plunge water thru it washing it out before dipping in to a new flavor so it doesn't contaminate is all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread