what's the appeal of mechs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
I don't understand the appeal of mechs, the safety is lower (no amp protection, the switches can be depressed and fire continuously), the battery is unregulated voltage that declines with use... aside from cloud-chasing and aesthetics, how is this better than using a cheap, unregulated EGo battery?

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
They provide more power, allowing for a coil with greater surface area, or multiple coils for the same result.

vaping on an ego battery is fine for me, and sort of simulates the feeling of smoking which is exactly what I want.
vaping on a mech mod with better coils and higher power? It feels exactly like smoking to me, and is much more satisfying.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
Also, it's generally recognized that dripping is one of the best ways to experience maximum flavor. It can be done on an ego battery with a small dripper, but for most it takes the aforementioned larger/multiple coils.

I also use mechs due to their simplicity. It takes a lot more damage to kill one, and I'm all about durability & reliability.

Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Texas, USA
Aside from your coil is your regulation and always have a battery on the charger, there is in my opinion more perks. If I want a .2 ohm super nano coil, super hot I can have it. I know I can count on the fire button to fire every time it is pressed, electronics are the number one failing point in an ecig device, in my opinion mechs look better, they are more compact, they last longer, and they are cheaper 9x out of 10.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
VTR will fire as low as 0.6 ohms.

But it also has a 5 amp limit. That kinda defeats the purpose. Same with many other VV/VW devices that will fire subohm.

I use my mech mainly because on a .2-.4 ohm setup I'm at 88 watts and 21 Amps, and 44 watts/10.5 amps respectively. You simply can't do that on any regulated device. I don't go that low of a resistance often but it's nice to have the ability. Plus my Maraxus clone with an 18650 is almost and inch shorter than my SVD with an 18350, so it's easier to carry with more battery power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Not to pick too many nits... buuut....

The superior safety of an eGo battery is an illusion. Unknown battery chemistries in closed off tubes with unknown quality electronics. Not to mention the chargers they use. I much rather put trust in a good IMR battery and a good charger... and my multimeter to check for shorts and resistance.

Besides, I prefer the shape and size of mechanicals as well as the ability go go below 1-1.2 ohms.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    For me, its as much about the vape as it is about the equipment.

Vape wise, A mech and RDA is the only way I can vape a .3ohm dual coil, and that is my most used build.

Equipment wise, I have invested in some of the highest end mechs on the market, because, and this is so simple.. I LOVE owning something that was made with precision and attention, as well as care.

Sure, you could take an origen clone on a Kamry KTS and put it next to my GG with Origen, and if you do the same build, the vapor expelled from both builds will look the same.

But, for me, the vape experience is not even CLOSE AT ALL. For ME, its authentic or bust. Id rather not own something that own a stolen counterfiet of the something I wanted.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I started using mechanicals long before there was such a thing as sub ohm or cloud chasing. So that had nothing to do with it.

When I started vaping (April 2011) the FDA was involved in a lawsuit, cartomizers & the like were being held by customs, and folks were all worried that the end of vaping was near. So I started looking for ways to become self reliant. Startng with a PV that would still work even if Hell froze over. Three years later I still have that first mechanical, and it still works just fine. It's even fallen out of a duck blind, and spent a week in the mud on the bottom of Ogden Bay. (my dog found it) Try that with your MVP, and see how it works out for you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread