What's The BEST Non-RBA Atomizer For Dripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Yeah, I saw that Issac has real 306es and some people have really liked them... but I am a bit ticked off at him because I thought the Io6es were 306 sized atties and I bought a couple and... despite the name they are really open bridged 510s.... and then the drip tip they recommended doesn't really fit... etc.

If I try another brand 306 it will probably be empire mods. Was looking at their site and they have some that seem competitive with the ciscos and... they have a duel coil 306. THAT is interesting. Was out of stock when I looked and I am watching my ecig budget or else I would have gone for one of those to try. (Hmmm... would probably be difficult to clean if the two coils are stacked.. as opposed to being side by side... my bet is they are stacked.)

IMO... it is really bizarre that some people really prefer 306es while others, really can't stand the 306es and prefer the 510s. I guess it is really a matter of 'personal preference'... with one not necessarily being better than the other.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Yeah the drip tips suck unless you get a nice glass one or something. I didn't care for the i06 enough to further invest in them. I've heard good things about the EmpireMods 306s too, that it's comparible to Cisco but cheaper. I love the EM 901 and have a 510 from them on order. My problems with the 306 were mostly user error, could never master them like the 510 and 901 so I gave up after 2 years lol. With RBAs recently added to my rotation it was easy to decide to stick with what works for me, the 510 and 901.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Jerms... I see a lot of people posting things like... "this atomizer has lasted me 3 months" and the like and... the thing is... "Great, now what juice were you vaping? If you were vaping coffee juice... might not last you 3 days, or even 3 hours.".

Also, people that have bridged 510s... cleaning them in PGA or whatever along those lines... sheesh... after you are done cleaning, you can HOPE they are cleaned but you can't see the coils so you don't really know what you got in there.

I don't have access to PGA but pretty much tried EVERYTHING to clean off the scabs and... almost no luck at all.

What is clogging up atties... is the FLAVORING... and it's a matter of not all the flavoring in some juices... vaporizing.

With the 306es and using 10x magnification... I can see in no uncertain terms what is going on there... and first you get a film over the coil and after that ultimately that film builds up... to the point where it forms... yeah, a SCAB. That is what it looks like and I have seen some, lol, this before I realized what was going on.... that were REALLY bad... couldn't even see the form of a coil underneath... were some really ugly suckers... and.. yeah, I popped a couple of these and then realized that... the scab forms and then the heat can't escape and that burns out the coil.

On the one's that had gotten badly scabbed... yeah... that is what I learned as well (not sure how you picked off the scabs on a 510). If you keep dry burning you will burn out the atty. But, what you do, is dry burn for a short time and then pick off the scab (what, with your fingernails... NOT), with a straight pin and then you can continue dry burning. With the heat now being able to escape... you won't burn out the attie.

Hmmm... can't remember if I ever tried my fingernails (lol). Might indeed try that next time around... but now I am usually cleaning my atties before they get big scabs.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I've learned that the quickest gunkers are from dark or sweet juices, or juices that have a lot of particulates like most NETs. Anything that can gunk up a coil is easily removed from an alcohol soak UNLESS it gets burned on, which causes a carbon layer that can only be removed by burning or picking off.

The trick I've found is to make sure the coil is always wet and never dries out, and that means dripping before a dry hit or allowing the coil to dry from eventual evaporation. The more gunked up a coil gets, the easier the stuff will start burning, so I clean with a soak before things build up. Usually 3 days, but sometimes only 1 if I'm vaping a problem liquid. I can go months without having to dry burn, which is a last resort for me since it hurts wicking.

Blowing out the atty a couple times a day can extend the life between cleaning, as can rotating dirty juices with cleaner juices.

aggo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I saw that Issac has real 306es and some people have really liked them... but I am a bit ticked off at him because I thought the Io6es were 306 sized atties and I bought a couple and... despite the name they are really open bridged 510s.... and then the drip tip they recommended doesn't really fit... etc.

If I try another brand 306 it will probably be empire mods. Was looking at their site and they have some that seem competitive with the ciscos and... they have a duel coil 306. THAT is interesting. .

Yes, I'm very curious about these as well. Empiremods Bridge Free Dual Coil LR306 1.5ohm

I've tried several i06's. They're nice but I didn't really find them that much more magically wonderful than the 306....and they didn't last a helluva long time either, in my case.

lightandmind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Columbus, OH
The Vapage arrived today, I'm totally happy! REALLY consistent hits, and that's pretty much what I was looking for. The draw is just a little bit tight and I thought it had a SS wick being fed by cotton/silica, but there's no SS wick whatsoever, but I'm still very happy and super stoked. A word of warning, one of the four I ordered had a little hotpot in it that I had to lightly press down with a mini-screwdriver, but the problem was solved after that and these beasts seem like they're good to go.

TheToxic_jon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
SoCal
in my experience, for dripping, it is hard to beat the 306.

ya i run a unsealed 1.5ohm 306 from empiremods with a sealed 510-510 adapter and an empire dripshield and its thick hot vape on 3.7. also empire dripshields have better airflow then any other shield i have used. I would rather use a cheap 6dollar 306 then the TI bliss,D.I.D or ac9 that i got.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Impressive. This thread title best non-RBA made it to 24 posts before someone brings up RBAs lol.

RBA fans will likely continue to give their two cents in your thread! They just want to share their success stories. Keep an open mind about RBA's. I was a die-hard 306 fan and I swore I'd NEVER waste my time with RBA's.

Today... I could NEVER go back to using conventional atty's- not even my beloved Cisco bridgeless, dewicked 306's . With many (not all) RBA'a, the learning curve is short, the cost savings is huge, and vape quality is unparalleled. I think RBA's worked so well for me because the NET and dark juices I love so much just wrecked havoc on conventional atomizers. Keep spending $6-$30 on throw away atomizers if you like; I just wound a fresh coil/wick for $.09 and it should last me 4-5 days :)

I remember resisting the change from cartomizers to atomizers! Vaping for me has been a progession... Hit me up if you ever decide to try an RBA- I'll get you up and running in no time... Cheers, Randy

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Randy, that comment you quoted of mine was actually just an observation that disposable atomizer threads seem to usually morph into an RBA discussion. I actually was impressed that this thread made it as long as it did without a single RBA reference.

I really don't have much of an issue when threads go off topic, I tend to be a pretty big offender of doing that myself. What is a pet peeve of mine is the claims that RBAs are vastly superior to disposable atties and are making them obsolete. I have a Smocktech RDA, IGO-S, and Fatty clone and love them. I use RBAs quite a bit these days, especially with my NETs. But I also use and love 510s and 901s. Each disposable lasts me many months, so the changing coil and wick on my RBAs is actually more expensive and way more time consuming.

Each type of juice delivery system has it's strengths, weaknesses, and uses for me. Some juices taste better in my 901, and some better in my RBA, but they both do a fantastic job with flavor and vapor. I like that I can switch flavors quicker and easier with my 901 and 510, which I do a lot. I like that I can drip more drops in my RBA and safely dry-burn it with dirtly juices. Different horses for different courses.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
So far I've tried the Boge 2.5 SR, The Vapage AMG 2.5Ohm, and the Empire 1.8 Bridgeless.

My first impression of the Vapage is that it tastes burnt unless I flood it. I've only had it a few hours so I'll give the Vapage 2.5 AMG a day to break in before my final opinion.

So far I like the Empire the best. Didn't have much of a break in period.
The Bridgeless is very forgiving on a bottom feeder. I have a feeling that I'll standardize on it.

I wanted to try the Ikenvape, but I put in two support tickets for advise on which one to pick and they went into a black hole. Ikenvape doesn't even use an Autoresponder.

I figure if this is the service I get before the sale...

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm surprised you didn't get a response. Isaac and his wife work pretty hard at taking care of people.

I really like their IO6 for top feed or dripping, though on my bottom feed PV the AMG and Cisco spec 306 are the winners. I'm still waiting for Imeothanasis to come out with his Achilles RBA, with companion tank, pre-orders for it are supposed to be in July.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I'm surprised you didn't get a response. Isaac and his wife work pretty hard at taking care of people.

I really like their IO6 for top feed or dripping, though on my bottom feed PV the AMG and Cisco spec 306 are the winners. I'm still waiting for Imeothanasis to come out with his Achilles RBA, with companion tank, pre-orders for it are supposed to be in July.

Just in the event that there ticket system isn't working, could you provide or PM me an email address, I'd like to give them a fair shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread