The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What's the better charger for cells ?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by ralph persico, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ralph persico

ralph persico Full Member

In comparison which charger does anyone find to be a better choice,
    Opus BT-C3100 V2.2 Charger or The
    NITECORE UMS4 Intelligent Charger?
    I own an Xtar VC4 but this charger I feel did not live up to all the hype about the whole quality issue. I had it for 5 years but six months after I purchased it, it gave me nothing but problems. I'll never buy anything by Xtar again.
    The two I mentioned for comparison look pretty sweet on the specs and all but I just can't seem to make up my mind and I hate to fall for any fake hype about quality again.
    Anyones who actually owns the Opus or Nitecore chargers I mentioned opinions or experience with these chargers would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I have owned 2 Nitecore chargers and they both gave up the ghost in less than a year. My Xtar however just keeps right on going.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I had my beloved 2 bay Nitcore that thing for 3 years. It died recently. I have an Xtar charger but I feel it like, (it's two bay only) it charges up stuff too fast.
    The dials are also more complicated than the dash on my car. I feel as though... Myself and THAT charger are like, not compatible with each other.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I have a Nitecore D4 in regular use over 3 years. Still works fine. it's like all these electronics. Eventually they will fail, some faster than others. That, however, shouldn't be the sole factor in choosing a charger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ralph persico

Yeah, based on my charger I feel Xtar is highly over rated. The amps meter fluctuates all over the place when charging. Something not right with the internal power connector.

7. ralph persico

Yes in some ways true but for the money people put out for these products they should last for many long years. It's a shame that some manufactures don't believe in real quality any more for paying customers.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I still have a Nitecore Intellicharger 4 bay that serves as my backup; its always been slow. I've got an Xtar Vp 4 that is fast with a great display screen. I:d buy another. Opus is good...expensive...and can be compliated to set up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    Buy a Gyrfalcon All-88 once and you'll never buy another charger again. When I got mine a couple of years ago it retired all of my LUC's, Nitecore's, Xtar's and other lessor chargers I have.

GYRFALCON.jpg
    gyrfalcon All-88.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have the Same Issue with my VC4.

The Amps will sometimes fall from .5 to .25 when charging in the 1 & 3 Bays. And if I move the Power Cord, sometimes the unit will shut down.

All that said, the charger has been used At Least once a Day for the last 3 Years straight. So I feel I have gotten my 26 Bucks out of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    IMO, the best chargers XTAR made was the VP series. I have a few of those, all 5 years old now. No problems with 'em ever, except for the displays having dimmed some over the years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bubba106

bubba106 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2018
    Yep I love my gryfalcon-40, but my Miboxer c-4 is great too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Anyone still use a pila charger? It's just a 2 bay, but have had mine for 6 years maybe and still perfect

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    That was my first charger. A real workhorse for about 2 years when one of the bays stopped working. By that time, I needed a four bay charger, and got the Nitecore Intellicharger 4 bay. Now using the Xtar VP2.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rabbiporkchop

Rabbiporkchop Full Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I've had this charger for a couple years with no problems charging in my car.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blitzdonlife

Blitzdonlife Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    I use a nitecore 2 bay charger, not sure of the model. I have used an older nitecore 4 bay, and 2 bay charger for 4+ years in the past. I never had any problems with any of these chargers.

Electonics wear out people. They use components that have a limited lifespan, usually what fails are the electrolytic capacitors, similar to common failiures in flat screen televisions. Some components don't last, and some are designed to fail.

As long as a device perform the functions it is designed for and prevents potentially hazardous failures with the safeties in its design specifications for its expected lifespan, it is a good product. If it fails, replace it. If it is designed without the necessary safeties, don't buy it.

Pay attention to whether it is performing appropriately. Buy a multimeter and check it's output over time, as well as the batteries resting voltage after a charge. These are basic operating principles when dealing with electronics and batteries (aka. Electrochemical storage devices).

Advertising is not to be trusted. The main purpose of advertising is to sell a product. Advertising creates an interest in what it is trying to sell. Do some in-depth study on chargers, and specifically, on the circuits and manufacture of the circuitry used for producing your charger.

If you're not into that, that's ok. Knowing how and why something fails is very interesting to me. I hope you engage these questions and find interest in this subject.

Knowing what is the beginning, asking why is the next step, and understanding how is one of the last, most important steps in creating a better product (not counting all the b.s. involved in getting a product to market).

Sorry for the rant, we seem to be living close to the age of idiocracy. Peace, I'm out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    When this goes will probably buy a fancier 4 bay , but it's still kicking and , not that I use them anymore, but it also has the little round screw in plugs for the 18350 and 18500 batteries...before this one had a 1 bay ultrafire, but never liked the metal slide connection that allowed for different lenghts of batteries, but that still works too.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    That's a unique feature that the Pila has over most other chargers on the market. For people who may have arthritis or weakness in their fingers (like I have), inserting and removing batteries from the Pila is much easier than the stiff metal slide connectors found in most other chargers. The removeable connectors can be adjusted to the length of the battery, and using more than one allows you to charge shorter batteries line the 18350 and 18500 batteries.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I use the opus BT-C3100 v2.2 and have zero complaints. My previous nitecore charger lasted almost a year, but started heating up my batteries to level that was still safe, but I was uncomfortable with. I also used a cheaper xtar and it broke in a couple of months of use. The spring anchors for the battery sleds broke. I use my Efest luc6 as a backup now. It has proven itself reliable for 18650s, but rips wraps on 2x700 batteries frequently.

If i had to buy another charger, I would 100% go for another opus v2.2 any day. It's not the best out there, but in it's price range I have yet to find better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. vapdivrr

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    That's it...I was wondering where that European end came from, it's part of my charger....

• Funny Funny x 1