What's the deal with adding water to DIY e-liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I use water in the VG component of my mixes, as I want a lower viscosity liquid. 15% works for me but others may use less. If one uses too much there will be excessive popping of liquid at the coil. Distilled water would be your first choice but I've been using filtered water without a problem.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I've seen a few times that someone has mentioned adding water to a mix. What does this accomplish? Should it be distilled water so the minerals don't deposit on the coil? What % of water gets added?
    Only time I would add water to a mix would be to thin down the VG and it should only ever be pure distilled water.

If using high VG in a pod or tank that has small wicking ports it will not saturate the wick quick enough and produce dry hits. Equally if you have a PG intolerance, to make the e-liquid runny enough to saturate the wick, people will add 10% distilled water to the mix to make it work.

I would only ever use distilled water, never tap water because of the impurities in it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Adding H2O to a DIY Mix, especially a High VG Mix, helps with Wicking. And Lowers the Boiling Point of a Mix.

I don't use much Flavored e-liquids anymore. Just Flavored Wicks. But when I did, the added Water helped with overall Flavor. Reducing the "Heaviness" a High VG / Highly Flavored - Sweetened Mix can sometimes have.

The Amount of Water to Add is, of course, Subjective. And like all-things DIY, will vary from person to person. I like to Dilute Pure VG down to a viscosity that is slightly thicker that PG. Then that Diluted VG becomes what is used for the VG component in a Mix.

Using Distilled Water is going to be Standard Answer. But Honestly, just about any "Bottled" RO Water is fine.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you wan thinner juice but can't or don't want to use PG but you want thinner juice, water is one solution to this problem. Distilled water. Some people use only a few drops. You'd have to research and ask around how much water would be good for your needs.

TL;DR: It's a thinning agent.

• Informative
    Reactions: Ed Brown

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, reverse osmosis (RO) would remove minerals. I'll have to look more carefully, I don't remember ever seeing that on the label of bottled water. RO probably is cheaper than distilled, but distilled isn't that expensive either.

I don't know about thinning. When I knock over an RDA it comes out pretty fast already!

Thanks again.
    Ed

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, reverse osmosis (RO) would remove minerals. I'll have to look more carefully, I don't remember ever seeing that on the label of bottled water. RO probably is cheaper than distilled, but distilled isn't that expensive either.

I don't know about thinning. When I knock over an RDA it comes out pretty fast already!

Thanks again.
    Ed
    Main thing to ensure when adding water is that it's pure. Better to be safe than sorry. I've found that 10% distilled water works fine for me.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    RO probably is cheaper than distilled, but distilled isn't that expensive either.

Ounce for ounce, DW is cheaper than RO water (ie. Aquafina/Pepsi) in my area. But you have to buy a gallon. Last I bought a gallon of DW it was under $2, but that was prolly 5 years ago at least.

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    zoiDman,

What's a flavored wick vs. e liquid? Real question :)

Thanks!
    AD

Adding H2O to a DIY Mix, especially a High VG Mix, helps with Wicking. And Lowers the Boiling Point of a Mix.

I don't use much Flavored e-Liquids anymore. Just Flavored Wicks. But when I did, the added Water helped with overall Flavor. Reducing the "Heaviness" a High VG / Highly Flavored - Sweetened Mix can sometimes have.

The Amount of Water to Add is, of course, Subjective. And like all-things DIY, will vary from person to person. I like to Dilute Pure VG down to a viscosity that is slightly thicker that PG. Then that Diluted VG becomes what is used for the VG component in a Mix.

Using Distilled Water is going to be Standard Answer. But Honestly, just about any "Bottled" RO Water is fine.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    zoiDman,

What's a flavored wick vs. e liquid? Real question :)

Thanks!
    AD

A Flavored Wick® (zoiDic Industries Inc.) is when you Prime a New Wick with a Flavored e-Liquid, and then you fill the Tank or Squonk Bottle with Unflavored e-Liquid.

It Blows My Mind how much Flavor you get and How Long the Flavor lasts when using this Tech. You also don't have to do DIY very often. It also helps if you suffer from FBOS (Flavor Burnout Syndrome)

If you have never tried it, you should the next time you do a Build or Re-Wick a Coil.

• Informative
    Reactions: DallasLiza

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    A Flavored Wick® (zoiDic Industries Inc.) is when you Prime a New Wick with a Flavored e-Liquid, and then you fill the Tank or Squonk Bottle with Unflavored e-Liquid.

It Blows My Mind how much Flavor you get and How Long the Flavor lasts when using this Tech. You also don't have to do DIY very often. It also helps if you suffer from FBOS (Flavor Burnout Syndrome)

If you have never tried it, you should the next time you do a Build or Re-Wick a Coil.

In an RTA, did you ever notice how many milliliters of unflavored you can vape before you have to reflavor your wick?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    In an RTA, did you ever notice how many milliliters of unflavored you can vape before you have to reflavor your wick?

I rarely Re-Flavor. I just keep Re-Filling the Tank with Unflavored for about a week or 35ml's or so and then Rebuild. Once and awhile I'll give an RDA a Few Drops as a Flavor Boost. Not often. But once and awhile.

It's All pretty much up to the Individual.

Reactions: BNEAT

Aerodan

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2020
    AZ
    Aha! I filled a squonk bottle with vg/pg only and used it to clear out flavor, then drip in more. Works!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread