What's the general feeling on the Twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I've got a kicked SB that I use for my at home/in the car mod, but I'm worried that my kick may die one day. (Backups backups backups?) So I've been looking for something to keep around as an emergency mod for incase it does blow up.

Honestly, I'd prefer a Darwin, or something with Evolv's dna board in it, but I don't think that's going to be around in the very near future.

ProVari is a bit out of the price range for right now. I do own a MadVapes VV box, but it doesn't have any way to tell what voltage it's at, and I'm not too keen on stacking batteries if I can avoid it.

So here's the question: Is an eGo Twist a good idea, or should I start putting some money aside to buy something bigger/better? I do plan on getting a ProVari eventually, but this is more of a for-now thing.

Oh, the only reason I'm looking for this is that my primary vape is a GG Penelope, which I tend to wrap my coils around 3ohms, which takes about 5 volts to hit my preferred wattage.

Thanks for your time!
-X

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I'm a 5v to 6v high voltage lover. I like safety too. That's why I invested in Provari. I don't have a Twist personally although alot of my friends do. I think they are a great device for newbies and an awesome way to taste flavors that I wish I had when I was starting out on vaping. If I didn't already have the mods I do now, I would have gotten one. But truth be told, if you want to vape at high voltage, you get what you pay for. Madvapes vv mods are made cheaply and break very soon. I've ordered about 3 of them in the past, for me and my son. Also, I am a dripper and I really like to view the ohms my atomizer is firing at so that way as my atomizer starts to get older and not fire as well, I can adjust my voltage down for it. Plus the Provari will give me an error code before I fry an atomizer if I don't lower it when I should. It has alot of safety features. I guess it depends on where you are at in your vaping experience, but the Twist really is a game changer for some.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Well, like I said, I've got a kicked Silver Bullet. I really enjoy the Variable Wattage, I don't imagine that I'd enjoy tinkering with voltage all the time, or doing the math to get the watts that I want every time I wrap a coil. I prefer the set-it-and-forget-it method. I haven't touched my kick since I got Penelope, over a month ago. It stays in the extension sleeve, and I just exchange batteries when they get low/die.

I did just whip out my MadVapes VV Box, adjusted the positive pin, and it does fire Penelope, so that satisfies my backup need... Though I am still seriously looking for a nice back-up. Although if the twist is limited to 4.8v, that might not be what I am looking for....or maybe I should get some different wire to be able to wrap low resistance wires....

I'm on a fairly tight budget at the moment, justifying spending another 200ish on a ProVari to the lady doesn't sound fun. It's not really about the HV vaping, it's just because the coils that I make for Penelope tend to be around 3 ohms when it's all said and done.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Not sure if you are aware, but Provape is selling the chrome Provari's for $140 and calling them blemished. They aren't blemished but they had problems with the laser logo's on them. They will be no longer carrying them. I ordered and got one about a week ago and it's beautiful with no blemish whatsoever other than it doesn't have the Provari logo on it. Most others I've talked to say the same on what they have received. If you can't afford that, then the VMax is the next cheapest from what I've seen at about $100. But then I saw a review on youtube tonight that sounded like they were not firing at the correct wattage and also they used stacked batts to vape. So all in all if you want a safe vape, it will cost you. Sorry. But the chromes are going cheap and I recommend you splurge and get one from Provape! :) Now is the best time to buy one if you ever want to. My chrome I got is beautiful! I have another one that wasn't the V2 and I love this shiny chrome one. I sort of like inhaling on it and not worrying about it blowing up in my face.

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Not sure if you are aware, but Provape is selling the chrome Provari's for $140 and calling them blemished. They aren't blemished but they had problems with the laser logo's on them. They will be no longer carrying them. I ordered and got one about a week ago and it's beautiful with no blemish whatsoever other than it doesn't have the Provari logo on it. Most others I've talked to say the same on what they have received. If you can't afford that, then the VMax is the next cheapest from what I've seen at about $100. But then I saw a review on youtube tonight that sounded like they were not firing at the correct wattage and also they used stacked batts to vape. So all in all if you want a safe vape, it will cost you. Sorry. But the chromes are going cheap and I recommend you splurge and get one from Provape! :) Now is the best time to buy one if you ever want to. My chrome I got is beautiful! I have another one that wasn't the V2 and I love this shiny chrome one. I sort of like inhaling on it and not worrying about it blowing up in my face.

You really need to stop tempting me into buying a second.

Evil Woman.

Infinitejest

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2012
AUstin, Tx
I tried a few ecig kits from mall kiosk, always disappointed. Someone suggested the twist, and I. Was hooked, moved from stardust clearomizer to the bauway. Endened up buying a Provari using boge carts and phiniac tanks. Just bought a Penelope, but having a hard time figuring it out, COV was quick in response that they will help, no word in 3 days.Btw, out and about I always use the twist, with the right juice, or if you are an atty fan put a supert manufacturing long tip on it. It will always be your go to testing juices.
IJ

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
The twist is OK for what it is. And yeah, you'll probably want to make lower ohm coils if you get a twist. It does OK with ~2.5-ish ohm attys/cartos, but just doesn't really produce the voltage to get a 3.0 ohm or above cranking out a ton of vapor (considering that you said you need to get to 5.0+v for how you like it).

I had a couple of twists. Both of my units had less-than-perfect buttons that tended to stick fairly often. One of my twists died very quickly (may have been a stuck button that caused it, but I'm not certain) and I gave my other one to a new vaper last Wednesday. They are OK. Just OK. I don't consider them to be anything really special, but I also don't think they're bad. I occasionally have situations where an ego sized PV is appropriate so I do keep a few ego batts around. The twist is more versatile than a regular old ego. I probably will pick up another one or two when i need to spend enough to qualify for free shipping on an order sometime. So, that's the best recommendation I can give them: I like them well enough to replace them, but not so much that I'm in a hurry to get new ones.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
There is a VMAX co-op just about ready to lift off right now and every month there is a Health Cabin co-op. The Twists are inexpensive at 20% off Health Cabin's already low prices...that was not an ad just sound like one.
Either might be fine for your source for a backup device.
Getting back to the Twist, you can do the twist with your existing wire and get you low ohms.
Simpoly double it up and then twist it tightly together. You'll have thicker wire yielding lower ohms.

Last edited:

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Just saw this in the Deals and Steals thread: Elite Vaporworks Variable Voltage Tube Mod - Body Only - 18650 - Clearance - Advanced Personal Vaporizers

It's some sort of Lava tube, but it looks like the old one with the plastic ends that people seem to dislike. Good buy, or goodbye?

As I said before, my Madvapes VV box will work with Penelope, but it's kinda cheap looking/feeling. I suppose that maybe I should just drop this idea and wait until I can spend the cash on a ProVari or something worthwhile, that will last forever (And subsequently need it's own back-up ;) )

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
I just got a couple Twists in, so no word on longevity or anything. I can say that, being my first vv devices, I really do love them. But I also see these being the gateway into bigger, better things. I'm currently debating on a variety of devices, and pretty seriously looking at the Varitube X. I'm just not a fan of the size of most of these mods. The Reos look good, too, but just a bit more than I want to spend at the moment.

Anyway, I think that if you want to look into variable voltage, the Twist is a great first vv pv. That's my initial impression after a couple days with them.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
I had a couple of twists. Both of my units had less-than-perfect buttons that tended to stick fairly often. One of my twists died very quickly (may have been a stuck button that caused it, but I'm not certain) and I gave my other one to a new vaper last Wednesday. They are OK. Just OK. I don't consider them to be anything really special, but I also don't think they're bad. I occasionally have situations where an ego sized PV is appropriate so I do keep a few ego batts around. The twist is more versatile than a regular old ego. I probably will pick up another one or two when i need to spend enough to qualify for free shipping on an order sometime. So, that's the best recommendation I can give them: I like them well enough to replace them, but not so much that I'm in a hurry to get new ones.

Really? Wow, bad luck. I have never heard of the button getting stuck? Why didn't you contact your vendor for a replacement? They have a 180 day warranty.

ByeByeCoffinNails

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
Kakapo Kountry (New Zealand)
I have one Twist and another on the way. Yes, there is a well known button issue, but given the choice between losing a $22 Twist or losing a VV mod I traded in my Mum for, I'd rather lose the $22.

I'm at a certain age where I can't remember this morning let alone last week where anything is (that's right, I'm over 40). Leaving the house almost inevitably sees me backtracking to find handbags, sunglasses, books, pens ... Imagine trying to explain to the nice policeman that the cordon around the shop is not for an explosive device, but your Provari you left lying on the counter! :laugh:

A sinister black tube with an LED display... can't you just see the papers now?!

My gripe with the Twist is the charging time. Three hours for 1000mAh. My 1100 mAh Kgo charges in two.

:)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Really? Wow, bad luck. I have never heard of the button getting stuck? Why didn't you contact your vendor for a replacement? They have a 180 day warranty.

Sticking buttons is a common issue with the twist. If you haven't heard of it, then you haven't read too many of the twist threads all the way through nor watched the video reviews. GrimmGreen was among the first to make mention of it. - And, I didn't return them or worry much about it because I got them for free. I received one of each size with a request for my thoughts on their performance. I had them about a month or so before they could be purchased.

They're OK. The price tag is nice. In fact, the price tag surprised me when they became available. I think they are well worth while for those who would otherwise be considering a regular ego or ego clone. But, for someone like the OP who is already used to something sturdier with a wider wattage range (and who didn't mention any need to use ego-specific attys and cartos like the ego mega, ego-t, or ego mega dual coils) , I'm not so sure.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
I would have to agree that if you are already using a variable voltage device of some sort, the Twist is not going to do anything new. They are the same size (diameter) as any other eGo, but definitely longer. I could play wiffle ball with my 1000mah Twist. If you are curious about the advantages of a vv device, this is your best intro, I think. I know that for me, they have made vv a must. I will most likely pick up a mid range mod soon for home use. But for portability, I see myself using the Twists for a while.

On the topic of the Twist button issue, the two I purchased, both from different vendors, have not had the problem. If one develops, I'll be sure to note it, but so far after a couple days, they are performing flawlessly. They definitely seem to take a while to charge, as someone pointed out, and the 1000mah definitely has a noticeably longer lifespan on full charge. Enough to make me think I would just go that route versus the 650, which I seem to get about 4 or 5 hours out of vaping heavily.

Still, when all is said and done, I think it's the best option for the vv curious.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Sticking buttons is a common issue with the twist. If you haven't heard of it, then you haven't read too many of the twist threads all the way through nor watched the video reviews. GrimmGreen was among the first to make mention of it. - And, I didn't return them or worry much about it because I got them for free. I received one of each size with a request for my thoughts on their performance. I had them about a month or so before they could be purchased.

They're OK. The price tag is nice. In fact, the price tag surprised me when they became available. I think they are well worth while for those who would otherwise be considering a regular ego or ego clone. But, for someone like the OP who is already used to something sturdier with a wider wattage range (and who didn't mention any need to use ego-specific attys and cartos like the ego mega, ego-t, or ego mega dual coils) , I'm not so sure.
I suppose I haven't read every single thread on the whole ECF from start fo finish.... but I have read most current ones and have been reading for years, trying to stay current day to day.

And yes, this really is the first time I have heard about a sticking button. Can you link me to the sticking button threads for the Twist please?

Are you another YouTube name dropper? lol.

I have sturdy devices like the Provari for eg.... but still use the Twist.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I suppose I haven't read every single thread on the whole ECF from start fo finish.... but I have read most current ones. Are you another YouTube name dropper? lol.

And yes, this really is the first time I have heard about a sticking button. Can you link me to the sticking button threads for the Twist please?

I have sturdy devices like the Provari for eg.... but still use the Twist.

Ya he's right. Actually the sticking issue is something that goes back to the original eGo. Although back then, we didn't complain. We were just relieved that we had something to vape while running from dinosaurs. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread