Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
All of a sudden my halo menthol ice tastes like some god awful chemical. I tried different clearos, tried different batteries, the taste is just getting worse. I dont taste the juice at all just like a bad bad i dont even know what to call it but chemical. At first i thought the was that burnt taste everyone mentions but i tried different tanks all brand new, and some old tanks.

is this vapors tomgue? Did my juice go bad? Any ideas?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Also the character of juices can change as they age. We call it steeping. Usually it is for the better though not always.

It is also possible your tastebuds are recovering and things just taste differently to you now. I know a month in I discovered that I had been way oversalting food for years. I could just suddenly taste it.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Sometimes your tastes can change without warning. I used to love cinnamon, almost all of my favorite vapes and some cinnamon in them. I got into other flavors for awhile and when I went back to one of my favorite cinn flavors, I felt like my lungs were on fire. I thought perhaps the juice had gone bad, but I reacted to all of the juices the same way. :( Now have bottles I can't vape and no flavors I like as much. There is no discernible reason my taste went off like that.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I see your join date is Sept so Im going to assume you have been vaping for a few week? COngrats. Your tongue and taste buds will be going thru a lot of changes. Many of us have a juice we like and after you have been using it a while I doesnt taste good anymore.

I went thru what you are describing at least 4 times in my first year. Things are healing and taste buds are going to go thru many stages of healing. Many will find the juices they loved and couldnt get enough of will "turn" horrible.

Chemical like is how most juices started tasting to me in the first 6 months. I have read many posts with similar.

Drink a lot of juices or water to help the taste buds. For me, I found that ginger ale really helped in between vaping when everything started tasting off. Closest thing I can describe it to is when you burn your tongue with hot soup or other foods. Then for a day or so you cant taste anything. It happened about 4 times in my first year, and every once in a while with certain flavours like pineapple. I just switch it up and for me, I like a simple light peppermint based for soothing "vapors tongue"

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
All of a sudden my halo menthol ice tastes like some god awful chemical. I tried different clearos, tried different batteries, the taste is just getting worse. I dont taste the juice at all just like a bad bad i dont even know what to call it but chemical. At first i thought the was that burnt taste everyone mentions but i tried different tanks all brand new, and some old tanks.

is this vapors tongue? Did my juice go bad? Any ideas?

If your taste buds are getting more sensitive, have you tried taking some of that juice and thinning it down a bit with some basic VG ? Chemical taste in general being something that to me, indicates a juice that is too strong for my taste buds.

Fascinating read for understanding flavors and their tastes.
E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Last edited:

Miggs Beaumont

Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Bamber Bridge, United Kingdom
i have been vaping since mid july, i use on average 10ml's a week, i started with golden virginia flavour as that's what i smoked in analog form, when that was finished i bought an evod BCC tank and another bottle of GV, the first day and my tank started gurgling and leaking fuid, i tried all sorts of fixes but after 6ml's in 2 days i took it back to the shop, they gave me a new tank and replaced my lost fluid with a new bottle and i decided to change to red bull, the following 6 bottles were all red bull as i loved it that much, after bottle 4 i started to go off it as the flavour wasn't the same as when i first used it, the shop suggested to buy a variety of flavours and change flavour each time the bottle is used, i got redbull, blueberry and honey bee, i've now used the blueberry up and before i started the honey bee i tried the red bull, sure enough it was like the first hit i'd had of the red bull, back to the same great taste, i'm currently using the honey bee and will use red bull when that's gone

for future vaping i'm going to buy 3 bottles at a time (cheaper offer in the shop) and stick with 1 red bull and 2 others, the beauty of the shop i use is they have 0mg nicotine testers so you can sample before purchase, i think if you can find a shop that allows the testing it saves wasting money on flavours you may not like

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Also the character of juices can change as they age. We call it steeping. Usually it is for the better though not always.

It is also possible your tastebuds are recovering and things just taste differently to you now. I know a month in I discovered that I had been way oversalting food for years. I could just suddenly taste it.

Hearty second to this. By the way, love your avi, Druiiiiidboooooyyyyy! LOL. Sorry, had to say something.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I'm guessing that you're going through the change in your taste buds that occurs in the first couple months. I had the same experience for a while, yet Menthol Ice is still one of my main vapes. In my experience, it changes very little over time compared to most liquids.It happened with watermelon for me too, and I've never gotten back my taste for that flavor. I'd switch out to a different set of flavors for a while and then come back to it. Good luck!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Hearty second to this. By the way, love your avi, Druiiiiidboooooyyyyy! LOL. Sorry, had to say something.

WHy ty sir except it is DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDGIRLLLLLLL! I am actually considering getting a phinaic tank made with a bear on it that says BEAR TANK!

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
How long has it been going on? It could be that it just goes badly with something else you've eaten or drank recently. Try brushing your teeth or mouthwash?

It just happened... Started with a small taste, thought maybe i burnt the wick.
Changed tanks, and it just slowly got worse... Over about an hour.

Finally last night i decided to rinse real good with listerine and call it a night.
This morning i dont taste it.

I have run out of all my other juices so i had been only vaping menthol ice for 3 or 4 days.
Ive bought some new juices to tru but they just came yesterday so they are steeping.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida

Im just about 3 1/2 weeks in...

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri

is this vapors tomgue? Did my juice go bad? Any ideas?

I noticed this when I had my first case of vaper's tongue coming on. My favorits tasted like plastic.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It just happened... Started with a small taste, thought maybe i burnt the wick.
Changed tanks, and it just slowly got worse... Over about an hour.

Finally last night i decided to rinse real good with listerine and call it a night.
This morning i dont taste it.

I have run out of all my other juices so i had been only vaping menthol ice for 3 or 4 days.
Ive bought some new juices to tru but they just came yesterday so they are steeping.

I keep half a dozen flavors loaded up for that very reason. I still have the tastes going off on me if I stick with one flavor all day long.

BTW: Not all flavors have to be steeped. I always try mine right out of the mail box. Some need aging, some don't.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
It's called vapor's fatigue. Your tongue has nothing to do with it. The receptors in your nose has shutdown so everything you try is going to taste bland, no taste, or just nasty. It'll recover. To help with the recovery, try a different flavor and rotate it. This will cause the receptors to kick back in. It can last a few hours up to a few days. Don't give up, they'll come back.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
The dreaded 'chemically' taste. I have no advice but maybe some conciliation. It's very difficult for me to find juices because almost everything I try tastes either 'chemically' or burnt. I have tried so many well reviewed vendors and find myself asking "really? this was recommended to me?"

I've even experienced some juices from my long-time go-to vendors that all of the sudden taste the way nail polish remover smells. Dunno if I have vapor's fatigue, or too many chemical sensitive taste buds, but if so I want to get rid of them. I've been using the same vendor for about 4 months now, and think I have finally found my go-to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread