What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah Hitt, I probably should have gone to the doctor and had it checked but then I'd have to get one. I did go to the chiro because my neck and shoulders felt like I had gotten rear ended and I had pain between my thumb and index fingers in bot hands but more in the right. I figure I must have reached back to soften my fall. It all happened so quick I'm not sure of anything except laying on ice and asphalt.

My chiro has my shoulders feeling pretty good, my hands are coming back but my neck needs more work.

I'm now the senior citizen in my family tree. My mom's last living, youngest brother passed away in his sleep Tuesday morning. He was 89. He was a long time Eagles ticket holder so I was glad he got to see them finally win a Super Bowl. He had season tickets back in '60 when they won their last NFL Championship. Who knows, maybe that's what he was holding out for. He was seriously injured in Korea when he got hit with missile shrapnel and was really in bad shape for the last six years or so. He was one ornery cuss as an old man, particularly when he was sick. I know the nurses and care givers will have better days now.

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Saw my Chiro twice more this week after the initial x-rays etc. He did a pelvis and spine adjustments with another appointment next week. My Thursday after work soreness level felt more like a Monday after work level so I'm pretty impressed. Not to mention I think I actually reach the 5'10" height on my drivers license without shoes now. Convinced my wife to start going also as she's had a few injuries doing gymnastics and cheer leading that are still hanging on years later.

Getting some healthy snow here in the middle of the mitten state. They're calling for 4-8 inches throughout the day. Between the snow (generally a healthy amount of call in's) and the issues we've been having in the Body shop I'm hoping for an easy day at work.

On topic, I found a random can of Oden's Extreme double mint hiding in the bottom of the freezer. Only vaguely minty, it just tasted like an extra salty Thunder frosted. It joined the prestigious list of cans I could only get 2-3 portions into before tossing it along with Thunder Frosted and an Oden's licorice.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Getting some healthy snow here in the middle of the mitten state. They're calling for 4-8 inches throughout the day.
Wish I could send y'all some of our heat. :( Our temps are running 10+ degrees above normal for this time of year, about like what we see in April, 60's in the morning and mid to upper 80's in the afternoon. I had sweat dripping off me by 8am this morning, it's getting too hot too soon, I'm not ready for summer already. :( Y'all send a little of that cold down this way (but no snow), just not too much. :)

• Creative
Reactions: gerrymi

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
It's actually fairly warm at 22 degrees for the amount of snow. Just makes it slushy and crap to drive on.

Seen 6 cars and this semi off I75 in the 8 miles I'm on it for my commute.
7fcf1d2f0eda1763fa096ae815284608.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
It's 43 here tonight and raining. I picked up one of those weather stations with a sensor outside so I can see both what's happening outside and how well the fireplace is heating up the living room. I'm at 71 inside right now so plenty toasty. I'm hoping to get into March without having to buy oil. It was $2.70 a couple weeks ago and has dropped to the $2.45 range today. I keep an eye on the gauge and the price hoping at least to get down to the $2.00 mark. It's times like this that I wish I had a bigger tank. I paid $1.65 in the fall when I loaded it. If I have to buy now, I'll not only pay considerably more, but my next fill up will be mid winter next year and who knows what the cost might be then.

Reactions: Burnie

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We are mostly electric but have a gas furnace and water heater. My water bill has tripled in the last five years or so. Our water department had done little to no improvement over the last 20 plus years and now are scrambling to meet government requirements. Now they are raping us on wastewater charges.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I made the move to an expensive oil hot water heater back when he elecrtic one went bad and haven't been sorry. At what I was paying for electric, it paid for itself in a few years. Just thinking about it, that had to have been nearly 20 years ago. I wonder how long they last. Since I've gone to wood primarily for heat, My overall utility costs are pretty reasonable. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm getting the chair lift that I bought for my GF's nephew before he passed away. I was going to install it myself but probably will have it done as it's heavy as heck and I'm not getting any younger. I figure it will make moving wood in easier in the future and make it possible to stay here if I can't get up the eight steps into the house in the future.

I'm glad I don't have public water but that's a two edged sword as, sooner or later, I'll need to replace the well pump. That is now approaching 40 years old and who knows when it will go. However, no water and sewer bills for 22 years make the one time costs pretty bearable. When the pipe broke, it cost me close to $2k to take care of cleaning out the tank (first time since I moved here) and fixing the issue. I know I pay around $70 every quarter down in VA for sewer and water and it barely gets used.

Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    When I was moving I refused to even look at places that had city water. My parents house was far enough out of town to have a well and we avoided all the random service interruptions and boil water alerts the folks in town dealt with. My Mom did just have her pump replaced last summer, the previous pump being installed in the 70's.

My house is on the township side of the street where we all have wells and the neighbors across the street are within city limits and had to deal with Flint Municipal water piping lead into their homes. Unfortunately the township put in a bunch of new municipal water lines and passed a statute that anyone with access to city water can't drill a new well if the current one dries up. My well is roughly 15 years old, so I'm hoping it'll go the distance until we decide to move to another place.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: gerrymi

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Roth, the 2k you spent to fix that pipe wouldn’t even pay for two years of my water bill. Years ago our bill was normally about $90 every two months. Then they started billing monthly and charging the service charge monthly. Then the rates went up on water usage and now they are sticking it to us on wastewater charges. My most recent bill was $150 for one month.

firechick

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 24, 2009
    Upstate New York
    We are mostly electric but have a gas furnace and water heater. My water bill has tripled in the last five years or so. Our water department had done little to no improvement over the last 20 plus years and now are scrambling to meet government requirements. Now they are raping us on wastewater charges.
    It's the same with the water here. Sudden needed upgrades (long overdue repairs) raised some bills by 300% all at once

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Boy, I hear you on that Waho. My mom's house has a well and septic tank and towards the end the septic system was acting up. The strange part was both were in the back yard separated by maybe 10 yards. The new owners had the water tested and it was fine, but mom was having septic system issues at the end that we made them aware of.

I thought they'd attach to the public sewer line but, as far as I know, that hasn't happened. He and his father are in the construction business so they may have resolved the issue without going the public sewer route.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I have a crack in one of the walls in my basement. I wanted to fix it before it becomes an issue and ordered a liquid concrete repair kit from Polygem. I saw that they used it on a repair on This Old House and figured if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. I've had it a couple weeks but haven't done the work yet. I'm not sure why I'm procrastinating on this one.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well we can have a race but thus far I'm way ahead. I got Great Stuff, Big crack filler to fill in the block around the sewer pump exiting the house. The hole is so big that a squirrel could get in (and probably has from nuts I found there). I noticed it about a month ago. It looks like it was filled with something before and it just crumbled. I've gone at least a month already.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Well, I can tell you that I won't likely get anything done on mine until another weekend. The first part of the process has to dry 12-24 hours before I can inject the epoxy into the crack and doubt that I'll do it during the work week.

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    I got Great Stuff, Big crack filler to fill in the block around the sewer pump exiting the house. The hole is so big that a squirrel could get in (and probably has from nuts I found there). I noticed it about a month ago. It looks like it was filled with something before and it just crumbled.
    If this is what you have
    upload_2018-2-12_15-33-30.png

and it is exposed to sunlight, make sure to paint it once it is cured. UV rays from the sun break it down and it crumbles, but if you paint it, it lasts for a long time. I have used Many, Many, Many cans of it. :rolleyes:

Also make sure not to drip it on something you don't want it on, very hard to remove if you do.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I'll echo painting any Great Stuff that might get exposed to sunlight.

Another tip to prevent rodents from tearing it up is to stuff some steel wool into the hole before filling it up with the foam. The Orkin man told me it will irritate their mouth/gums and they'll learn to leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    Another tip to prevent rodents from tearing it up is to stuff some steel wool into the hole before filling it up with the foam. The Orkin man told me it will irritate their mouth/gums and they'll learn to leave it alone.
    Yep, that's what I do when doing an exclusion job (I own a pest control company). :)

Reactions: Waho

Users who are viewing this thread