What's with Naked Potatoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania knows how to do taters right. I'm mostly Penssylvania Dutch and German, and I kinda think we got the market cornered on how to eat mashed potatoes.

Ever hear of a dish called green peas and hamburger? Essentially, you brown a bunch of burger and make gravy from the drippings, and then mix up the burger, the gravy and a mess of peas, then ladle it into a bowl of mashed potatoes. AWESOME comfort food on a cold winter day.

My mom also used to make a casserole where she'd put down a layer of mashed potatoes, then a layer of creamed corn, then burger, sometimes crumbled bacon too, then cheese. Toss it in the oven, then enjoy.

A lot of the mashed potato things are Depression-era holdovers... easy ways to stretch out bland staple foods into meals. Potato soup was another frequent meal at my Grandma's house.

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
SOS - It's a favorite of mine and I haven't had it years. My guy doesn't share the same food proclivities as me: he's coal region, and his style of food is more Polish/Lithuanian. Since he does most of the cooking, I rarely get to eat the foods I grew up with. With the exception of chicken and waffles - something I introduced him to, and now he loves it.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
We eat something similar called .... on a shingle. Please tell me someone has heard that before?
That sounds really good steph. I love comfort food.

Isn't that made with corned beef, gravy and toast ?

There's some regional variations.

My dad made it as shaved ham with white gravy (like biscuits-n-gravy, but on toast.)

I've also heard it as an alternative to "Sloppy Joe."

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Putting anything on properly made mashed potatoes is sacrilege. I'm pretty sure it's in the bible that you'll be smited. Or smote. Smoted?

Properly made mashed potatoes are made with baked (not boiled) potatoes, scooped out of the skins.Then add a large helping of sour cream, sprinkle liberally with lots of fresh cracked peppercorns, large helping of butter (not margarine!), a splash of heavy whipping cream, crumbled bits of bacon, a little fresh chopped parsley. Optionally you can put a bit of shredded sharp cheddar. I use a stand mixer to blend it all together till its mostly smooth - a few chunks of potatoes can stay chunks. Potatoes made that way don't want gravy. They want to just be delicious mashed potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread