What's with the nonsmokers being so happy I quit smoking and then asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
Okay, so still the nonsmokers in my life are all super happy for me that I quit smoking, but alot of them keep asking after saying how great it is, so when are you going to quit vaping? What is that? Is this just me, or is anybody else getting this? I quit smoking after 30 years. I feel extremely annoyed and angry with them, that they are so freaking rude. As if there is any comparison. So, am I alone with this? What do you say, cause I say I have absolutely no intention of stopping since I had no intention of starting. It happened when the better part of me said hey, try that, while cruising the internet. Lucky me for being in a mood to act!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
But darling, you are clearly defective, morally flawed. And of course only the best people out there are always looking out for your best interests. And it's practically a civic duty these days to make other people know exactly what is expected of you. And until they can get a law passed that makes it a legal obligation as well, annoying and presumptuous "helpful" questions such as these are the best they can do to you - cough, cough - for you.

Well, you just have to rise above vaping and become the good person they always knew you were meant to be. What's wrong with you? Not being what they think you are supposed to be! This is, after all, "for the children!"

And if that doesn't work out then start poking them in the eye with your PV. I'm sure it only slipped. After all, you can't help yourself... :p

(What would Miss Manners do? I have no freakin' idea here.)

Rick

Outre

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
CA, US
Okay, so still the nonsmokers in my life are all super happy for me that I quit smoking, but alot of them keep asking after saying how great it is, so when are you going to quit vaping? What is that? Is this just me, or is anybody else getting this? I quit smoking after 30 years. I feel extremely annoyed and angry with them, that they are so freaking rude. As if there is any comparison. So, am I alone with this? What do you say, cause I say I have absolutely no intention of stopping since I had no intention of starting. It happened when the better part of me said hey, try that, while cruising the internet. Lucky me for being in a mood to act!

No, I get this from the husband. He's like, "So how long are you going to vape?" I answer - as long as I want to.

Reminds me of the people who continuously asked me when I was going to get pregnant once married, and wouldn't let it drop forcing me to explain that I was physically unable. Then I had to endure their crap asking if I had "tried all the options available to me".

People can be incredibly insensitive and unbearably rude. Some think everything about you is their business. I have a tendency to drop such folks from my Christmas Card/phone/email/pager/whatever list - just get them gone :p

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I wonder if they feel you are not suffering enough as you repent for your sin of smoking.

I'm waiting for the opportunity to say, "You know, without nicotine I'd probably be grumpy enough to tell you what I really think about you even asking that question."

LOL...I love that comeback. I'm going to tell someone that as soon as I'm asked just to see the expression on their face.

flobiwan

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
I would also answer, "never. Why would i want to give up something so cool". Although, for myself, i always loved smoking - even before i started. I remember seeing people smoke when i was 7-8 years old and thinking of how neat that would be to do - and that feeling never went away!. I'm one of those odd people who would probably smoke (or vape) even if there was no such thing as nicotine.

I get that from my friends and family all the time. My answer is always the same! No plans on quitting! When I started vaping it was with a disposable from the gas station, just because I thought it was the coolest/weirdest thing ever and I was curious if it would work. I thought it would be neat to be able to "smoke inside" and trip people out. Then I was like WHOA this is awesome! But I knew it could be better.. did my research and bam! No more smoking! Its a great replacement :) I was never planning on quitting cigs in the first place, so its just a happy mistake that vaping was so effective for me. Why in the world would I stop?

izabella

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2011
in my body in the Windy city
Electronic Cigarettes are still largely viewed as a smoking cessation device like NRT rather than as a smoking alternative, so the question doesn't really bother me that much. But, I'm quick to point out that I view them as an alternative.

I think this is very much on target. Non-smokers don't really understand the concept of enjoying the inhaling/exhaling sensation, or even the desire for a regular dose of stimulant (though, if they drink caffeine through coffee, tea or sodas, they should!).

So they assume the only reason you'd be using an e-cig is to stop smoking and wean yourself off the nicotine and "smoking" addiction altogether. Of course, you must want to be free of all addiction to anything ever!

I really don't know why it bugs people, or why it would be so hard to understand, that we might want to use nicotine without the harm from smoking tobacco. Caffeine, sugar, chocolate, carbohydrates, fat, alcohol - all of these provide a level of satisfaction most people wouldn't give up entirely unless forced to, so it shouldn't tax their brain cells too much to "get it".

However, it's likely that the negative health effects of tobacco smoking is not separate from nicotine itself in most people's minds. And they may not understand that all the other additives to cigarettes are far more harmful than nicotine alone.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

You are definitely not alone, 36tinybells. We all get that question, and it puzzled me at first. Finally I figured out the problem is that the public has been brainwashed to believe that the smoking-related health problems are directly related to nicotine. When they hear the Surgeon General stating that nicotine is as addictive as <insert name of most dangerous illegal drug you can think of> they mistakenly believe that nicotine's effects on not only your health, but also on your ability to function, are equivalent.

Nicotine is not like those other addictive drugs. Have you noticed that there are no laws against driving under the influence of nicotine? There's good reason for that. The other "addictive" drugs that the government's health messages have linked to nicotine all impair the user. They slow down reflexes, reduce ability to concentrate and pay attention, and impact short-term memory. Nicotine affects all these, too, but in the opposite direction. Most of nicotine's effects are beneficial. It is being studied as a treatment for attention deficits, memory problems, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, and others. It may be able to postpone or prevent Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

Another contribution to the misunderstanding is the pairing of "tar and nicotine" all those years when the cigarette companies were advertising filter cigarettes and then "light" cigarettes. Everybody thought that by lowering "tar and nicotine" they were taking out the bad stuff.

As it happens, in smoke, tar is the vehicle that carries nicotine into the lungs for absorption. Thus if you lower the tar (by using special filters, for example), the amount of nicotine is automatically lowered. The reason that "light" cigarettes backfired is due to an unforeseen and unintended consequence. Smokers unconsciously compensated for the missing nicotine in a number of ways: by smoking more cigarettes, by inhaling more deeply, by covering the extra air holes near the filter that they didn't even realize were there. So the cases of COPD and lung cancer didn't go down at all.

The smoking-related diseases are caused by the tar, carbon monoxide, particulates, and thousands of chemicals that are newly created by the process of combustion. In other words, it's the smoke that kills, not the nicotine. Take away the smoke and you immediately eliminate the risk of lung disease and greatly reduce the risks of heart disease and stroke. Most of the cancer-causing chemicals are also created when the tobacco is burned.

However, tobacco itself does contain some naturally occuring carcinogens called Tobacco-specific Nitrosamines (TSNAs). At one time, all the smokeless tobacco products had high levels of TSNAs. Scientists in Sweden worked on ways to reduce the TSNA levels in tobacco both via the growing and via the curing process. As a result, smokers who switched to the low-TSNA Swedish snus (a type of moist snuff), live just as long as, and have the same level of health risks as those former smokers who became totally abstinent. US tobacco companies now offer low-nitrosamine smokeless tobacco products, as well as the new dissolvable tobacco products such as orbs (like a Nicorette lozenge), strips, and sticks.

Our e-liquids are made from pharmaceutical grade nicotine (same as used in patches, gum, and lozenges) and contain extremely low levels of TSNAs.

If you are interested in the comparative levels of TSNAs, there is a table in my presentation to the FDA on Dissolvable Tobacco products, here: http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA_Dissolvables_110722.pdf

renstyle

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Boone, Iowa
However, it's likely that the negative health effects of tobacco smoking is not separate from nicotine itself in most people's minds. And they may not understand that all the other additives to cigarettes are far more harmful than nicotine alone.

Spot on here ^^^ for many nicotine==smoking, and for the vast majority of users out there, this is the case. No other form of nicotine use mimics the "dirty way", which makes "our" chosen option different than nearly any others short of a NRT nic inhaler.

Once the concept is more well-known, plus the fact that even the FDA is considering long-term nic NRT as a viable option, this concern will become less and less.

Never mind the fact that once you quit vaping (if that tickles your fancy) then have a fit, you can "relapse" back to an ecig, even with no nic to handle the "ritual" cravings you've built up over the years... No need to ever mess with regular cigs again, nicotine or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread