What's your after building routine?? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I was wondering what u guys do after setting up your coil and wicking...like do u guys wait a bit?? Do u get light puffs for a while?? Do u go slow on wattage or not? Do u notice difference in taste as they call break in period? Or anything that u may do I would like to know what experienced vapers do.... :)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I soak my coil in juice, let the squonk bottle suck back any excess, the let the TC kick in. I'll check wattage before wicking by dry burning and noticing how quickly it glows. I don't have break-in issues since I've started wicking with rubber gloves... No funny taste at all, makes ya wonder...

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I use RTA's. Priming has to include "Bleeding". The tubes which carry the juice up through the base of the deck to the wick have to be filled with juice as a result of priming. It's hit or miss if this bleeding doesn't take place. The wick which sits in the juice channels can potentially prevent the flow of juice from the tank by simply creating an "airlock".

When i prime a wick i use a magnifying glass to observe the base of the deck where the juice would enter from the tank. Once the juice starts to seep out of all of those little holes from above i consider it being fully bled and ready to vape.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
During the wicking portion, I tend to start saturating the coil and blow on it, much like a heavy pull if it were closed off, until the whole wick has pulled eliquid onto it.

That tends to break the coil/wick in and normally eliminates my issues with taste for the first few drags.

Washing hands before rewicking also helps eliminate the "taste" of dirty hands ;)

Once it's all together, I'm vaping away!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
During the wicking portion, I tend to start saturating the coil and blow on it, much like a heavy pull if it were closed off, until the whole wick has pulled eliquid onto it.

That tends to break the coil/wick in and normally eliminates my issues with taste for the first few drags.

Washing hands before rewicking also helps eliminate the "taste" of dirty hands ;)

Once it's all together, I'm vaping away!
I've tried washing, tyvm... But skin is skin, after all, and the hassle of putting on gloves for rewicking a few attys at a time is little hassle.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Everything starts at whatever wattage ends up equating to 4v for that build. I proceed from there.
I am actually relieved to know I am not the only one that still thinks in terms of Volts. Wattage on mods still messes with me. Much happier working with my REOs. LOL

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I was wondering what u guys do after setting up your coil and wicking...like do u guys wait a bit?? Do u get light puffs for a while?? Do u go slow on wattage or not? Do u notice difference in taste as they call break in period? Or anything that u may do I would like to know what experienced vapers do.... :)

Once it's wicked, I juice the living crap out of the wick. I pulse it a couple of times with the cap/tank off. Cap/tank back on, start it with a few vapes at 15 watts, then slap it back up to normal power (20-30 watts) and Bob's your Uncle :thumbs:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Do u notice difference in taste as they call break in period?
    I juice up the wick and fire the mod for what would be a hit. I find it helps to break-in a wick. Rejuice again and fire a few times (repeat). With a Tidi rayon wick after ~10-16 hits I get only the flavor of my juice. When I use cotton (Mavaton's) it's about the same. Then my wick is sufficiently broken-in.

I was wondering what u guys do after setting up your coil and wicking...like do u guys wait a bit?? Do u get light puffs for a while?? Do u go slow on wattage or not?
    After the above, I vape at lower wattages and progressively up the power to where I normally vape at and I'm set. A clean environment is a must for me as are clean hands, tools and wire.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Um. this may be a bit unconventional but I place the mod carefully on the table and distract myself with a little "dance dance revolution" that I was able to get cheap from an old video game arcade online.

After a song, I turn carefully to check if the thing is leaking. If it's not, I vape it. If it IS, I comfort myself by playing at a slightly higher level and start over.

Nah, nowadays, I like wet down that wick and coil (rayon) and I pulse it to break in the wick while I tuck in the tails (the day one me would understand NO words from this post so trust me, progress is possible.)

I have learned that if I have the SLIGHTEST feeling of unease as I am wicking the thing, I should just start over because it WILL leak. My inner me knows it, even if my outer me is busy filling it to the brim, turning it upside down while cursing and trying to get the thing apart while ALSO not unscrewing the topfill.

Once you WICK IT Enough.... You will KNOW.

I sorta kinda have a slightly different routine but really? IDK. It works.

Anna

Reactions: evan le'garde

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Yes rta sorry I thought term wicking apply only to rtas...i am newbie
    Oooohhhh...
    Well, that changes my answer.
    I've only built an rta once... And for that, it was a gnome king. I built the biggest coils I thought I could shove into it, and had so much rayon shoved into the juice channel, I thought it wouldn't wick. 60mL later, it's still going strong...

the wind

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2012
    alabama
    if i'm using close to the same coil as before i'll keep wattage the same but do short hits at first.a different set up ,i'll turn wattage down and work up with short hits.
    nice grizzly Adam's avatar.

Reactions: Superuser187
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread