• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What's your favourite tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMc

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
UK
I thought this might be interesting and help others deciding on what tanks to try. :)

I'm using a Protank 2 and so far it's my favourite but being new to the scene I've not tried many.
I've also used the iClear16 & iClear30 but won't get any more, definitely don't like the top fed setup.
I also tried and liked the Mini Protank 2 & MT3 but not as much as the Protank 2.

What's your favourite and what have you tried?

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I find it a bit awkward to refill the Protank II, although I'm satisfied w/ it otherwise. Mainly this is because I like to make adjustments by putting in a little more juice and/or VG and/or other flavors.

A clearomizer is perfect for that because it's so easy to fill from the top. However it's disposable, and I'd rather not have to buy one every week.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced top-filling 510-compatible tank which is as easy to fill as a clearomizer (i.e. just take off the tip, and pour)?

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I find it a bit awkward to refill the Protank II, although I'm satisfied w/ it otherwise. Mainly this is because I like to make adjustments by putting in a little more juice and/or VG and/or other flavors.

A clearomizer is perfect for that because it's so easy to fill from the top. However it's disposable, and I'd rather not have to buy one every week.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced top-filling 510-compatible tank which is as easy to fill as a clearomizer (i.e. just take off the tip, and pour)?

There is always the vivi nova tank, Pretty well priced as they are getting a bit dated now but should be perfect for your needs.

del1

Moved On
Sep 17, 2013
Uk
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
The original protank used to annoy me with leaks and gurgling too often, but i like the protank 2 (havent tried a 3 yet). The problem i find with clearos/protanks, etc is that they mute the flavour compared to carto tanks and and RBAs like the kayfun. I have a kayfun lite and an aga, but I'm not very good at building coils and getting them on so whilst I think the taste is great when you get them right, they are a little too much hassle for me to use regularly.

Based on the above, Carto tanks are my favourite with smok 2 hole 1.5ohm dual coil cartos. It's definitely worth spending the extra on decent carto tanks too.. i had a couple of cheaper ones which ended up leaking and generally being a PITA. I've one from IBT in the U.S and a 'big boaby' from alba vapours, both of which work great and look great and as long as you prime your carto right and start them off at a lower voltage for the first few puffs i get about 30 - 40ml per carto.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
Vivi novas do a decent job :) beware though, as they can leak too!

When you put a new head on your protank 2 if you keep it topped up and never let it drop below about a 3rd full it shouldnt leak... My protank 2s leaked a bit, but i read that it can be a problem if you let them get low on liquid (something to do with the pressure) and since keeping them topped up above a third full i havent had any problems with them.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Vivi novas do a decent job :) beware though, as they can leak too!

When you put a new head on your protank 2 if you keep it topped up and never let it drop below about a 3rd full it shouldnt leak... My protank 2s leaked a bit, but i read that it can be a problem if you let them get low on liquid (something to do with the pressure) and since keeping them topped up above a third full i havent had any problems with them.

Thx! :D Can you (or anyone) please recommend a top-loading tank that doesn't leak? I find the duct tape annoying, but it does work for me. My Vivis are coming. What I find ironic is that clearomizers work just fine, except they're disposable.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
So far, Codz, my Vivi Nova hasn't leaked (I got a second one, and will likely phase out my protank II with it). The protank doesn't seem to care how full it is, it just wants to leak. I suspect maybe their O-ring sealing system just doesn't work - or maybe I have bad O-rings.

What really ticks off me about the protank is that I have to upend it to fill it from the bottom, and then of course it will leak a bit from the top when I do that. (That would be tolerable of course in the greater scheme of things - my biggest gripe is the leakage that occurs during normal vaping.)

I also suspect that coils don't work as well as wicks for vapor production.

On the other side, the Vivis have a plastic mouthpiece, which isn't particularly to my taste, and they don't have that metal "collar" that the protank does which protects the interface between the tankomizer and the battery. I wish I could buy the collars by themselves, but I can't.

All in all - even though: (1) the protank is "built like a tank" (pun intended); (2) I generally prefer glass & metal to plastic for both the tank and the mouthpiece; and (3) I love that metal collar ... leaking during normal vaping use w/o duct tape around the tank is unacceptable, and the duct tape itself is borderline unacceptable.

So the vivi nova wins by a couple noses of so over the protank 2 at least IMHO.

Anyway I'm going to get a third battery to support my habit of switching back and forth between strong menthol and full-flavor tobacco juices, so it's time to stop spending money on equipment. I think I'm out almost $150 (= 115 quid or 100 Euros I believe) so far not including batteries and juice ... so it's time to stop fiddling with the vaping interface and move on to DIY. I figure it's going to take me another few months before I have everything to my liking.

On the other hand, I don't really use analogs anymore, so that's what really counts!:2cool::D:rickroll::banana:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I used Vivi Novas for 3-4 months. I always enjoyed the vape and as long as you remember to swill the liquid, they seem good.
I soon got the hang of rebuilding them, but mostly chose not to.

I'm completely happy w/ my two Vivis - one has JC tundra in it (strong menthol) and the other has JC TN Cure (classic tobacco flavor) w/ a hint of JC espresso (supercharges the flavor, kinda like drinking a Guinness). Both are 2.4% (24mg/ml) but I use a lot of VG to mellow them out.

I just sterilized my Kanger Protank II, and intend to take it back to the place where I bought it (I still have the reciept). Hopefully I'll at least get some store credit. I just don't want it, and I don't want to give it to anyone else ... I'm tired of the duct tape that I had to use, and I'm fed up w/ tasting e-juice after filling it from the bottom. Maybe I just have bad O-rings, IDK.

Although wicks are a bit more disposable than coils, I think I get more consistent vapor production, and I don't mind replacing them every now and then. And if I have to replace my Vivis every 3-4 months, that's fine w/ me also. I don't want the ultra-dispoability of a clearomizer (too expensive), but at the price, the Vivi Nova is just fine w/ me. I'm not here for the "shiny" stuff ... I just want a solution that works, and I'm tired of experimenting with trash like the JoyeTech 510T[ank] kit. What garbage, shame on them LOL!

Now it's on to DIY ... I have all the materials, just have to make my first test batch. In the meantime, I'm enjoying some nice vaping, Thank You Very Much :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread