Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I made a change a while back. Not paying attention to the change, I noticed a short while later that the batteries were running down more quickly. I purchased new batteries of similar specification, but they too seemed not to last so long.

Back to the change. I moved from (unflavored) 50mg/ml juice to 36mg/ml juice. I don't think that made much difference in my overall mg/day consumption...~70mg/day, just battery life between charges. There may be a small change of wattage with the change in nic level, but I suspect more than that, I probably take longer or more frequent puffs.

I still have the previous set. I have about 35ml of the 36mg/ml juice left, but will move back to the 50mg/ml for my next mix and see if my batteries last longer between charges. It seems that the earlier batteries probably weren't loosing significant capacity, but were simply getting drained more quickly per the lower nic content/vaping style.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
For my high amp devices the batteries get replaced every two years and get repurposed for low wattage vaping. The only cells I've had fail are my batteries from 2015, they just failed to charge (I'm guessing the internal resistance got too high) so they've been recycled. I've had plenty of cells just die for no reason, some vtc4s and my Aspire cells just randomly went from 3.5 volts to 1 volt. What's impressive is my LG HG2 cells from early 2015 got abused (30 amp pulses) and finally bit the dust about three months ago! My hg2 in my reuleaux dated 2016 are still chugging along happily, however the capacity is below %80 and will be replaced. If I had to guess they have around 500 cycles.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
When I realized that I was using unknown cells for over a year, decided that I needed some kind of system. Any damage beyond wraps gets recycled. Any cells that don't seem to perform well get recycled. The big change is, now, any cell over two years old gets recycled. I don't really know if that's needed but it seems smart and buying a couple of cells can satisfy the shopping bug sometimes. :)

Reactions: AstroTurf

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I only buy very good batteries from reputable dealers.
I rotate a bunch, so typically they each get "light" use.
I typically charge at 0.25 or 0.5 amps. No rush - I have more.
I often charge when they're only down to 3.7.

I replace most often when it's only charging back to 3.9 - which coincides with "run a shorter time" - and that's usually at least 18 months or more...so that's more like 10% capacity? I can't measure mah...so not really sure about that.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I replace most often when it's only charging back to 3.9
I'm a low-power (~20W) mech-squonk guy. So I'm also quite easy on my batteries. But I've never seen one that "only charges back to 3.9". They all charge to 4.2, although some of them will drop back to the mid 4.1x range within a few hours of having been charged. This includes some batteries that are now pushing five years old. So I'm really a bit puzxled what you mean by "only charging back to 3.9".

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Maybe it's a charger thing - but it's consistent, with different batteries - as they get older, they will only reach 4.1, then older still, only reach 4.0.
I could leave them charging all day...
I'm using an Xtar VP2

I'm a low-power (~20W) mech-squonk guy. So I'm also quite easy on my batteries. But I've never seen one that "only charges back to 3.9". They all charge to 4.2, although some of them will drop back to the mid 4.1x range within a few hours of having been charged. This includes some batteries that are now pushing five years old. So I'm really a bit puzxled what you mean by "only charging back to 3.9".

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Maybe it's a charger thing - but it's consistent, with different batteries - as they get older, they will only reach 4.1, then older still, only reach 4.0.
I could leave them charging all day...
I'm using an Xtar VP2
Weird. I use VP1s. I have VP2s as backups, but since I only use 18650s, I don't like the VP2s as well because I only use 18650s, nothing fatter.

Thing is, I almost always charge at 0.5A. I wonder if there's a time-out on the VP2s, where they just stop after some number of hours? Just for laughs, try charging one of those old cells at 0.5A or even 1A and tell us if it doesn't go to 4.2V.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Most of my Mods are Sinuous P80's...that have a "battery percentage" reading on the screen...

Not sure how accurate the reading really is...but it does read 100% when a battery is new...

When a battery gets down to around 85% (after charging)...I start making mental notes of Samsung-30Q SALES...

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, not too bad these - but 2 years old or so, and the light is green. Done charging. Won't go higher.
Pop em out, change to 1amp, put 'em back,
and...things get weird. The one on the right goes to 4.2. then drops back to 4.19, green light. The one on the left goes to 4.2, but takes quite a bit longer for light to go green. Still just a few minutes. Interesting.

Still seems that this may be some kind of "wearing out" indicator - like it's resisting that last voltage dribble...
battery1.jpg

Weird. I use VP1s. I have VP2s as backups, but since I only use 18650s, I don't like the VP2s as well because I only use 18650s, nothing fatter.

Thing is, I almost always charge at 0.5A. I wonder if there's a time-out on the VP2s, where they just stop after some number of hours? Just for laughs, try charging one of those old cells at 0.5A or even 1A and tell us if it doesn't go to 4.2V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread