The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

When it came really down to it, would your pet defend you?

Discussion in 'Loving and Caring for K9's and Felines and/or Othe' started by jj2, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    When it came really down to it, would your pet defend you?

2. keyzygirl

keyzygirl ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Key West,Fl.
    I have a weiner/pitbull mix that is the sweetest wimpiest little thing.When a big,mean dog tried to attack me on our nightly walk,my baby jumped in front of me and hunkered down to stop that big dog from getting me.I was so impressed!!I had to kick the big dog to stop him from biting my baby,but I know my baby tried to save me.We both survived without a scratch!!

3. doots

doots Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2009
    Probably not the Beagle, Lol, but I have a Shepard mix that might try and protect me.

4. Richie G

Richie G Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2009
    Lawn Guyland, NY
    The Sheltie in my avatar would and has protected me. It's those Lassie-esque genes, ya know? =)

5. iamdougm

iamdougm Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm sure my girl (in the picture to the left) would try to lick you to death. But she realizes it's MY job to protect HER. I'm the leader, the guy that puts food in her bowl, shows her which direction to go when we're walking, leads her out the door, etc. She may even help the burglar carry the TV out the door!

I should have taught her to bark on command. At 90 #'s, that could be a bit intimidating.

6. kellie

kellie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2009
    Binghamton, NY
    my little guy Lox my avatar, doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He would lick ya to death and pee on ya if he gets scared :ohmy::oops:

7. aine

aine Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2009
    Brookfield, CT
    My two babies (in my avatar) would either run for the hills or hide behind me in the face of danger. They're not big on bravery but they're hearts are gold. They're the two sweetest tempered dogs I've ever had.

8. Lil' Lou

Lil' Lou Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Central NY
    LOL - I think our dogs might be related!

9. Kizmara

Kizmara Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    I don't hold out much hope of my cat protecting me.

I've seen him run and hide at anything unusual that comes into the house.

He's a Siamese, so he's a bit high strung.........

10. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    definatly! My sheperd, the big black mix & the boxer would and have. even my little snhauzer would bark and maybe nip. I live in a very BAD part of a very bad town. They are my security system. No one really wants to tangle with this pack, not even the crack heads. They might be able to overcome one dog, but not four. I can't keep guns in the house due to my psychotic teen, so they are a safe and effective deterrent.

11. Kate51

Kate51 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    Argyle Wi USA
    When my oven makes the fire alarms go off, my shih tzu hides. Not helpful. Although, I suppose in case of a fire, I'd be able to find her right away, under the bed!
    She barks after people come in the house, like she's saying hello.
    A very mellow and loyal dog, to be sure.

12. Happy Domino38

Happy Domino38 Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 27, 2010
    Toronto Canada
  13. jwquantrell

jwquantrell Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2010
    Auburn, WA
    Just two words ......

Dobies rule! :toast:

To the OP, yes, Titus would protect any of his pack.

Regards
    Jim

14. wave42

wave42 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2010
    New Mexico
    My English Shep attacked a man who broke into the house a few years back. Grabbed him by the thigh and pinned him against the wall. It was quite a surprise as he was generally a very laid back, goofy dog.

15. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    Wow, what a good dog he was. I hope he got an extra doggie bone!!!

16. Butterfly

Butterfly Full Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Colorado
    My cat Ollie, who I call my dog already has attacked someone for me, lol.
    I had an ex boyfriend show up here at my motel the other day, Ollie was outside chillin on the picnic table as I cleaned rooms. I heard him make a bunch of noise getting off the table and then heard him growling and hissing at someone. He has a wicked whine howl about him when he's mad that I'd never heard before. Then a guy starts yelling and I pop my head out of the room I was cleaning to see whats going on. My little Ollie (who will be a year old on the 28th in fact) Well he was wrapped around the guys leg scratching and biting and climbing very quickly to a sensitive area. I thought he was going to eat him!! The Ex couldnt move fast enough or shake hard enough to get him off his leg. I yelled at him and he jumped off and ran to hide under a truck and the ex boyfriend just kept swearing and walked off.
    LOL. I dont know why he was here but Ollie sure didnt want him around! Hahaha, I love my babies!

17. PaulB

PaulB Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    Virginia
    We've had various numbers of Dobes for something like 12 years now, and we talk about this from time to time. Of the several that have come and gone over the years, I think the older of our two present females, Rosie, is the one with the most protective instinct to rip an aggressive intruder a new one. Others, particularly the one male we had maybe not so much.

18. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Cats are Very smart creatures. Yeah for Ollie! Open that boy a can of tuna!
    I have been known to judge a potential boyfriend by how my cat likes him and vice versa. Dogs like to believe the best about people if you've let the person into the house. Cats aren't fooled as easily. I've always thought that the way a person treats an animal is indicative of how they would treat my kids and me.

19. SuZamme

SuZamme Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 24, 2009
    Nashville, Indiana USA
    When I was growing up we had a scotty named Mac (not an assclown, by the way).

He was so protective that when we got gas in the cars (it was that time long ago when the gas was always pumped for you) he would follow the service station attendant around the car windows snarling and growling all the way.

No one ever came into our backyard uninvited either.

My border collie, Robyn, would bark at anyone or any dog on our ranch property until I told her they were OK. Even then she would "keep an eye" on them until they left.

Now, I have 2 cats.
    I don't think flopping on peoples feet is considered "guarding" is it?

20. dshack

dshack Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

If a burgler broke in, my Pugs would lick them to death! Also if I where attacked by a broom, coke can, feather duster or pudding cup I would be safe. Otis goes crazy barking at the strangest objects! Here's Otis attacking a Denta-Bone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.