When Nicotine Oxidizes (Steeps), Is There Really an Effect on Your E-Liquid FLAVOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_NYC

Feb 18, 2014
New York, NY
The steeping process for e-liquid is essentially a chemical reaction taking place by way of oxidation of nicotine. The physical reaction taking place, known as diffusion, occurs among the PG/VG base & the flavorings unique to your e-juice. Now, does the oxidation of nicotine really effect or enhance the flavor notes in your e-liquid? I'm wondering if the two reactions are mutually exclusive & thus, the oxidation of nicotine should be treated merely as a gauge of how far along the steeping process is. Your thoughts??

eethr

Jan 28, 2014
Central California
On a nicotine supplier's site they said that when exposed to air, the nicotine will oxidize. This turns it yellow, to the degree that it is oxidized. They go on to say that it still maintains it's same strength, however. It wasn't clear if they meant that it still measures the same percentage (as with one of the nicotine test kits), or that it still has the same amount of effect when vaped.

I have noticed that there is less of the stinging sensation, after steeping. This is somewhat apparent to me after a couple days, more so after a week, and even more after two or three weeks. Being sensitive to the stinging in my mouth and throat, I have dropped down to 5-6 mg/mL on the nic, and it is smooth for me especially after a few days with the cap off and shaking every few hours (to make bubbles in it for more air exposure). I'm not noticing any nic craving problems since the lowered amount, starting about a week and a half ago. With no significant change in the amount vaped per day (2 mL or so).

I know when I eat anything with hot peppers in it, the heat masks the flavor of the food, for me. Maybe the nic does something similar? Do those people who use zero nic find that steeping is necessary to bring out the flavors?

I would be interested if anybody knows for sure exactly how oxidation affects the nic absorption and effect on the vaper.

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I know when I eat anything with hot peppers in it, the heat masks the flavor of the food, for me. Maybe the nic does something similar? Do those people who use zero nic find that steeping is necessary to bring out the flavors?
daggum qut question, eethr. I'll help you wait for an answer.

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Oxidation of Nicotine most definitely effect flavour, but it may not be noticeable in "stronger" flavours. In my anise-seed flavours, you can most definitely tell - and my juice supplier, who makes his own juice and is knowledgeable about the process, advised me once that the nicotine oxidization process will drastically effect its flavour.

eethr

Jan 28, 2014
Central California
everyone keeps talking of this steeping thing... what are yall putting into your liquids ( solids) that requires steeping? Tea is steeped, wine is aged, whiskey is aged.... juice is aged... unless you are putting tobacco in your juice....

think about it people.... do you smoke your juice too???

I've seen people say that same thing a couple times before. I think it just got started being called that, and it simply stuck.

But I think it could still apply to the flavoring steeping in the juice base.

See definition: Steep (scroll down to the Verb definition)

NineToez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Los Angeles, CA USA
Now, does the oxidation of nicotine really effect or enhance the flavor notes in your e-liquid?

I feel that it does. Nicotine "juice" alone has a peppery smell to it. When mixed to make e-juice and then bottled, many have a chemical taste when vaped right away. Oxidizing or aging (aka steeping) your juice in a dark, cool location with their caps/lids off will allow the ingredients to meld and cure, much like a wine or spirit.

jensy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada
I feel that it does. Nicotine "juice" alone has a peppery smell to it. When mixed to make e-juice and then bottled, many have a chemical taste when vaped right away. Oxidizing or aging (aka steeping) your juice in a dark, cool location with their caps/lids off will allow the ingredients to meld and cure, much like a wine or spirit.

I concur. Steeping , aging , whatever you want to call it.

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I think a good test on this is any juice from MBV. They tend to send out their juices freshly mixed. If you vape those right our of the mail they tend to be a little off and chemically. If you let them steep, the flavors will mellow and "marry", especially with the more complex blends.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

How about this. Is there a way to prevent steeping or to slow that process down? I ask because I have two different brands of pomegranate, one of which is very sweet and the other is bitter like a real unsweetened pomegranate fruit. The natural flavor one is overwhelmingly strong to the point that it takes 4:1 to make taste good and I have two 30ml bottles of the natural flavor. That's 10 30ml bottles total and I go through one bottle in about a month along with the other flavors I use.

• Agree
Reactions: Annie52

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The steeping process for e-liquid is essentially a chemical reaction taking place by way of oxidation of nicotine.

Oxidation is a bad thing. It happens when nicotine is exposed to oxygen, light, heat and moisture. You don't want that to happen--that's why it's recommended that eliquids be stored in tightly capped amber or cobalt glass bottles in a cool place, especially for long-term storage.

Please read this very informative post if you really want to understand what's going on:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-nicotine-storage-long-post.html#post11818667

The physical reaction taking place, known as diffusion, occurs among the PG/VG base & the flavorings unique to your e-juice.

Correct. You want the flavoring molecules to diffuse completely in the diluent. The process is critically important if you DIY. Most commercially available eliquids have had enough time to "steep" by the time they reach your mail box. I have never met an eliquid I wasn't able to vape out of the box. Yes, flavors do change with time, sometimes for the better, often for the worse. ;)

Now, does the oxidation of nicotine really effect or enhance the flavor notes in your e-liquid? I'm wondering if the two reactions are mutually exclusive & thus, the oxidation of nicotine should be treated merely as a gauge of how far along the steeping process is. Your thoughts??

Please read the post linked above.

Is it true that any e-liquid that contains "cream" flavored need to be steeped before vaping? I have couple cream flavored e-juice....one tasted pretty creamy and other had peppery type of flavor..like it was either spoiled or just wasn't "ready".

And how long is the "steep" process? Does it depends on flavors or size or what?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Is it true that any e-liquid that contains "cream" flavored need to be steeped before vaping? I have couple cream flavored e-juice....one tasted pretty creamy and other had peppery type of flavor..like it was either spoiled or just wasn't "ready".

And how long is the "steep" process? Does it depends on flavors or size or what?

Peppery taste usually indicates high nicotine concentration; turn your bottle upside down several times to make sure the nicotine base is properly distributed. You may have gotten a higher nic juice by mistake. Check the label. If it's very peppery tasting and feels stronger than it should, contact your vendor.

Most juices should be ready to vape when you receive them. If it's a NET, or a particularly fresh, made to order juice, or if it tastes nasty, stick it in a dark place and give it a week or two. It may get better or it may not.

If you smell or taste something really bad--strong alcohol, perfume, chemical smell, take the cap off of the bottle and let your juice air out overnight--hopefully some or most of those volatile compounds will evaporate overnight.

Other than that, always taste your juice when it arrives and if you like it, just vape it. If you hate it, give it some time and see what happens. Good luck and happy vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread