When ordering can we specify if we want the new riva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mvgratz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2011
Alabama
From Scottbee

"The plot thickens
OK... sadly or happily (depending on how you look at it) the plot has thickened. There are apparently AT LEAST two different "revisions" of our old friend the Riva out there... and to the best of my knowledge they are coming from the same basic source (EM). That is not to say that I can guarantee at this point that they come from the same actual factory (I haven't broken a R2 open). What is most troubling is that there was no big hooplah announcement about this new revision, and it would appear that very few people or distributors actually know that two different revisions exist. Sad and unsettling.

Please see the following picture (sorry, best I could do with the wife's pink camera!):

The unit on the left is representative of the traditional (what I will call R1) Riva battereis that I have gotten in the past from EM. I know (for a fact) that as of this writing the R1 battery is still being sold and shipped by some vendors. This R1 battery has the traditional "eGo" brand of PWM and does not put out the "full 3.7V". The effective voltage is reduced via the "pulses".

The Riva in the middle (note the difference in the engraving) is a "R2" unit, as is the unit on the right (A "SE" with silver/chrome accents). Both of these batteries put out "straight DC" voltage as I have mentioned in previous posts. They are "3.7V" devices.There is another way to differentiate between these units. The "R2" units use a semi-transparent insulator on the center pole of the battery connection. If you look down into the battery connector and press the button, the insulator will glow blue. The insulator on the R1 version is essentially opaque.

Now let me say this straight up.... I certainly haven't seen every Riva battery that is out there and I have no factual information from the factory regarding the revisions. I can't say that all Riva's with "big" etched letters are "R2", and I can't definitively say that all units with small letters are "R1". But on the units that I personally have, that's the noticeable external difference.

For all the "good" that is coming out of this "discovery", I'm pretty sure an equal portion of confusion is also on the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread