When you smoked analog cigarettes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
When you took a drag, did you inhale/suck ONLY with your lips or did you take deeper drags breathing from deeper within your chest (as you usually do when you vape)?

I ask because I quit smoking at the beginning of 2011. I recently picked up Joytech's new eroll mac PCC kit (the 510 cig-a-like), and I'm trying to remember how most people took drags from a real cigarette and for the life of me, I can't remember because it's been so long since I smoked!

When I first started vaping in mid 2011, I started with Blu's charging pack kit, but I have no idea how I inhaled with it lol, I seriously can't remember.

I have tried sucking/inhaling using just my lips on the Joytech device, but breathing in like that, you can only breath in so far before you run out of room lol (if you get my drift)? It still produces vapor and all, but it produces a bit more vapor if I take a deeper inhale using my chest, rather than just my lips.

I hope I'm making sense here.

Anyways I was just curious, I missed my "social" Blu charging pack from back in the days and since they are not available any longer, I picked up Joytech's new kit for when I'm out and about, and I don't feel like dragging a larger mod with me.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    OK just checking, I thought I was losing my mind or something lol. I could always test it out with a real cigarette but I refuse to even take one puff!

Better off asking a question than sparking a nastyo_O

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    lol good question! I used to smoke French cigs, Gauloise, Disque Bleu etc - yes I inhaled, deeply. Glad my lungs have recovered now.

My question isn't so much about if you inhaled into your lungs, it's how you took drags off cigarettes. Did you only inhale using your mouth/lips to take a drag or did you use more of your chest to take drags like you do with ecigs?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    Took a drag to fill the mouth cavity then inhaled to lung.
    Kinda like sucking through a straw to fill the mouth and then inhale.
    When I broke the mtl habit it felt like my old smoking habit broke a bit more along with it. It was the last hang over from my old smoking technique and habit that remained.
    Recently tried mtl again and went through the same process as you, @ OP

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I doubt many of us noticed or could have described it when we were smoking. But now I can definitely tell the difference. I was mtl when I smoked and when I first started vaping. Now I am dl mostly, but mtl on occasion. Once you dl you know for certain what the difference is.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    When you took a drag, did you inhale/suck ONLY with your lips or did you take deeper drags breathing from deeper within your chest (as you usually do when you vape)?
    Mouth. I think there's more to it than just lips, but the chest isn't involved. Oh, and I vape the same way.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I'd think it almost impossible to dtl with a cigarette.

I have known many people who dtl cigs. I remember wondering why they blew so much more smoke than I did so I asked about it. I could never do dl when I smoked though and I don't like it for vaping either.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    I always thought of the way I MTL'd like a syringe action, drawing a thick cloud of what-have-you into mouth and then inhaling with more air, with tongue as the plunger and my jaw and cheeks opening a little as I puff while lips stay tight around tip, like a bellows opening. Not everyone does it that way, the other way is more direct lung because it doesn't hold the smoke / vapor in the mouth before inhaling, just a constant draw.
    You can also let air in around the tip as you drag, which is more like DL.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2018
    UK & much further East.
    My question isn't so much about if you inhaled into your lungs, it's how you took drags off cigarettes. Did you only inhale using your mouth/lips to take a drag or did you use more of your chest to take drags like you do with ecigs?

Ah yes, senior moment, I just now took out a classic Russian tin box of cigs and... without lighting the damn thing, pulled on it. Muscle memory kicked in and I seemed to draw with a little mouth-cheek suction at first but immediately inhaled hard without removing cig from lips. So both MTL and DTL I think.

Edit- having read back a bit, these are unfiltered air cured tobacco & loosely packed cigs so perfectly possible to DTL. I agree it would be very tough to do with a 'standard" plasticised paper filter.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I find it hard to compare because smoke is so different from vapor, actually. I did not DL cigarettes I will tell you that much. I base that on the ridicule I got from trying to DL products we do not discuss. I found it really, really difficult.

So MTL.... But sort of kind of different. IDK. I never found the draw part of ecigs to be that similar although MTL is MORE similar and I also don't get "throat hits" due to my PG intolerance so who knows....

But it's a good topic.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread