when you use snus do you actually wind up swallowing the actual tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
WARNING: this is kind of gross.

so I'm relatively new to using snus, and I'm actually not used to consuming high levels of nicotine. I'm not using nicotine to help me quit smoking, but more as an experiment to see if it works effectively to help me concentrate because I have autism and ADD. Well, last night I decided I'd pop in a portion of Northerner 6mg purified Citrus Menthol. 20 minutes after I spit out the portion, I barfed, and there was little grains of tobacco in my vomit. Is it normal that I swallowed any actual tobacco at all? I thought you only swallowed the juices? and another question with that said: do you think I vomited because the portion was broken and I didn't realize it or do you think I just used to high of a strength and I should step down to 3 mg next time I order? before I vomited I had a headache and felt dizzy.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The purified snus packs a punch. I would try the 3mg. The purified that I had before had a fine powder residue in the can. The purified is ground very fine. It is possible that the portion was open or broke open. I've had regular portions that split before.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    As a long time tobacco user I only use the 3mg purified. It hits different from other snus in that the purified hits a good deal faster. I'm not surprised it overwhelmed you. Even long time tobacco users can have trouble with the stronger stuff. You may want to even back off on all the purified for a bit.

A method you may want to look into is roll your own portions. It's what I use 90% of the time.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...bbys-official-how-roll-your-own-portions.html

Its good because you can control how much snus you use. If you want to use just minis, which I would recommend for you, its easy to do. It's also very cheap as loose snus is 45 grams a can. That would be equal to 90 minis for the price of a can of 20 minis.

Last edited:

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    well thats ironic, I figured by the description in the thread "a beginners guide to snus" it would be easier as a starting snus because they said that you can't taste the actual tobacco. I figured it would be a good way to get around all the problems that new users have such as tasting salt, the funny feeling in your throat, etc. but instead when its in my mouth it STINGS like hell in a way that general snus never has, and it I get this feeling in my upper head like my skull is caving in, as in actual pain in the bone. I don't know what that's all about but what you just said put it into perspective for me. oh well, I know somebody that dips friggin grizzly long cut and likes snus as well, so maybe they could do better with it than me.

AC0J

ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2010
    Nebraska USA
    well thats ironic, I figured by the description in the thread "a beginners guide to snus" it would be easier as a starting snus because they said that you can't taste the actual tobacco. I figured it would be a good way to get around all the problems that new users have such as tasting salt, the funny feeling in your throat, etc. but instead when its in my mouth it STINGS like hell in a way that general snus never has, and it I get this feeling in my upper head like my skull is caving in, as in actual pain in the bone. I don't know what that's all about but what you just said put it into perspective for me. oh well, I know somebody that dips friggin grizzly long cut and likes snus as well, so maybe they could do better with it than me.

This is the same symptoms I get when I "OVER VAPE" on my 36ml Juice. I think it was a nicotine overdose in your case. I have not tried snus yet, but I have tried skoal and the like, It messed with my stomach as well. I am afraid snus would do the same.

Guttermouth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Tn
    www.guttermouthelectronics.com
    This is the same symptoms I get when I "OVER VAPE" on my 36ml Juice. I think it was a nicotine overdose in your case. I have not tried snus yet, but I have tried skoal and the like, It messed with my stomach as well. I am afraid snus would do the same.

just for clarification -
    skoal and snus are not the same thing and the effects from skoal or other dips ( or american snus ,for that matter)are quite a bit different from the effects of swedish snus.
    The swedish stuff is made in a way that if you swallow, it will not upset your stomach like dip or other oral tobaccos.

nicotine overdose, on the other hand, is a whole different matter.
    swedish snus is made in a way that swallowing the juice from it will not

Guttermouth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Tn
    www.guttermouthelectronics.com
    as to the original question - sounds to me like the stomach problems were more likely from too much nicotine too quick.
    Headache,dizziness and vomiting are all signals of too much nicotine and i've done the same from smoking too many cigarettes or using too much dip in the past.
    you might try cutting them in half to start out and try to ease into the full size portions.

Twistie

Feb 13, 2010
    Australia
    Unless the portion broke then there shouldn't be any tobacco leaf or bits swallowed. There is the possibility that the juice from the tobacco can be swallowed and can cause brown staining on the tongue and teeth, I'm talking about normal portions and I assume the purified portions would be similar but I've never tried them to know for sure. I know when I first snused, the juice from a Thunder Wintergreen almost made be spew. Never did finish that can.

Not sure if the amount of juice running from a portion would cause a whole pile of vomit to be brown but anything's possible. Probably the portion split and some pieces of tobacco was swallowed. Can happen if you bit down on it with your teeth.

Or maybe it's a bit like carrot in spew, there always seems to be carrot in there.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The purified snus is very finely ground. Even more so than any regular portion snus I've had. It seems like a powder almost to me. Anyway, the purified I had before had a fine powder in the can and I'm sure on the portions. Most likely from when they filled the cans. I don't think it would be enough for you to see though.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I've never broken a purified portion, but there appears to be so little tobacco in these small portions that I'm almost positive you wouldn't notice it in, well, you know. I can tell you that I have split open regular portions and it doesn't take long to figure out it's happened.

The first thing I did was rush to the bathroom to wash out my mouth before I smiled at someone with "dirt" everywhere in my mouth.

Snus

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 16, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I've had 2 gross experiences, so far! One was when it opened up on me and I got bits in my mouth! Threw it out and washed out my mouth. The 2nd time was when I got an outdated can of Camel Winterchill... The taste was awful and overpowering. I've only tried Camel, so I can't comment on any of the other types...

If you aren't used to nicotine and consume a LOT of it, that could definitely make you sick...

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I got a roll of general mint one time where I had three or four cans that the portions kept opening up on me. I contacted snuscentral and they ended up sending me a check to compensate for it. That's the only consistent time I've had any trouble. I think it was just a manufacturing glitch since I still use it and don't have any trouble.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread