Where are all the lawsuits over cigarette dangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
Just read an article about juul getting sued over teen nicotine addiction, among other things. Juul and vaping in general are in the headlines every day. Where is the media attention on the catastrophic effects of cigarette addiction that's been going on for well over a 100 years? We know for sure that cigarettes kill you. Where are all the lawsuits over big tobacco getting teens hooked and damaging their health?
wtfsign.gif

Teen’s Two-Pod A Day Juul Addiction Caused Massive Stroke, Lawsuit Says

Last edited:

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
Kids getting addicted to Juul fall under that category as much as smokers, imho.

Yes, but why are cigarettes not getting the attention for the insurmountable damage they have caused? For the countless teen addictions and lives lost. For the billions of $$ spent on damage to health and death. I just don't get it. Very unbalanced world view of this issue as far as I'm concerned. And, big tobacco gets to keep doing the damage to people that it's been doing for well over a 100 years
thinking.gif

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Kids getting addicted to Juul fall under that category as much as smokers, imho.

Someone needs to inform the kids about mouth to lung style vaping. Wait, most of them probably never smoked a cigarette before vaping. They know that smoking kills and vaping doesn't from what we know so far. If only adults who were former smokers actually vaped, the world would think that was a great thing.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
All those lawsuits got wrapped in a pretty bow by the 1998 Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.

Yes, which gives big tobacco a free pass to continue ruining peoples health and then killing them. In the mean time, the government and ignorant people want to take away a proven, much safer alternative solution that gets people away from and keeps them off cigarettes. Again
thinking.gif
wtfsign.gif

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
Personally, the way things are panning out, I am starting to believe that the master plan is to get millions of kids addicted to nicotine with the cool vaping sticks, take away the cool vaping sticks, leave them with only cigarettes to turn to.....BAM!!! Big tobacco wins again.

I mean really. Who owns a big piece of Juul? The only thing I saw when they invested in Juul, is they saw the writing on the wall and decided to throw in their millions to help get the kids addicted, so when it's all taken away, they still benefit when all the kids coming running to cigarettes.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
As in most things associated with Government Regulation, follow the money.
Lots of taxes collected from tobacco, not so much from vape.
Teen vaping is just an emotional tool being used to justify a political agenda.
And, as I understand it, the flow of money from the Master Settlement Agreement to some states is tied to cigarette sales in those states, and many states sold bonds against that expected flow of money (and may find themselves in default positions in the near future).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That might be true if a significant number of them were to get sick and/or die later in life because they're vapers, but at the present time, we have no indication that this is likely to happen.

Kids also get addicted to caffeine via energy drinks, but hardly anyone is up in arms about that because there's little to no harm in that addiction. So unless/until we see some actual harm from vaping, there is no moral justification for the outrage over under-age vaping.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Where are all the lawsuits over big tobacco getting teens hooked and damaging their health?

Oh that's an easy one. They don't let you sue them anymore because the US government coupled with the corporate world are totally corrupt and fascist. That's just an opinion, not me being grumpy but I believe it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread