Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Sigh.. after trying several new tanks that have came out over the pastM year or two, I just can't seem to find a sweet spot. I pretty much only vape mouth to lung and occasionally do lung hits (since it seems all the tanks I have are best for that anyways), and currently my main setup is an old Kayfun clone on an iStick 20 and my trusty ole eGrip. It's a shame, because I have much fancier stuff lying around but the sub-ohm tanks are just too much for me. I recently got a Uwell Crown and a Presa 75w and I have 2 Kanger Subtanks sitting around as well, but even using the higher ohm coils and changing the airflow, they're just not hitting the way I would like. And I'm not sure how to get there. Since I take about 3-4 second mouth to lung hits, the vape is either scratchy and wispy or rough and makes my throat hurt. Or I barely get anything. Or it's mainly just super airy and I have to hit it like a lung hit. At this point, I think I should stop buying any of these new tanks that are mostly for lung hits.

So basically... besides the Nautilus mini and such, what other good MTL tanks are there? I'm not really looking to rebuild so replaceable coil heads are ideal. I mean, I'm still gonna try to find that sweet spot with the tanks I have and maybe try lowering my nicotine to 3mg from 6mg, but I just can't seem to fine tune that hit. On the Crown, my hole is BARELY open... not completely closed but there's a tiny sliver and that's about the tightness I want. I'm just gonna get something like a Nautilus for now but if there is something better/similar, please advise! I love my Kayfun but I seem to have very little patience with rebuilding so I'd rather have something I can just pop in and not mess around with.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I've tried to like Kanger subtank nano's with both .5ohm and 1.2ohm coils but meh, great if you like lung hits but I do not, too much air and no taste on the inhale, only get flavour on exhale, just doesn't work for me. Tried to use it as a MTL tank with the 1.2 coils on all air settings but just does not work. Plus that wide bore drip tip is too wide,maybe with a narrow drip tip it might work, but meh...

Mine is sitting in a cupboard and will probably never see the light of day again. I'll give it to a new vaper or try to exchange it for a Nautilus mini or even a new EVOD (I use an ego+evod for work, does the job) at the local vape shop, asking people who come in and out of there if they're interested in swapping lol... I have 5 brand new .5ohm coils too, some lucky person who likes lungers is going to get... And they'll be lucky as it is a stunning tank for the money if you like lung hits.

I can honestly say of all the tanks I've bought and tried, the Nautilus Mini at largest air hole or 2nd largest at 15W is the best MTL experience going at the moment. It is simply a stunner. Built like a tank and great warm plumes of vapour, no dry hits even if hotboxing it like mad and happy days for me.

I haven't tried RDA /RTA so cannot comment, too much hassle for me to rebuild, not into DIY so never gonna happen

EVODS for work at 6mg as decent vape if you chain / hotbox it, and the stock coils last literally forever and Nautilus Mini's at 3mg for home or social occasions when I need a better hit. That's the best I've found. Kanger Genni tank not bad, EMOW looks okay and well reviewed but heck the Nautilus Mini is so damned reliable and robust, never leaks, bvc coils last a month, I'm just going to buy a few more of them and stick with them so can have a few flavours on the go if I like.

Try one if you haven't and if you have, you've probably found it's likely the best non re-buildable MTL tank out there... Try at a B&M before you buy, but I'm fussy as hell and I love them, just check out how well they're reviewed literally anywhere... And the over tightening issue you might read about is not an issue as you don't need to tighten it any more than the slightest resistance, that thick bottom o-ring is amazing.

Just my opinion, YMMV etc...

Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Have you tried the Aspire BVC (non-nautilus) coils in your Trusty Ole eGrip? Great vape! Even the GS Air coils fit perfectly in the eGrip and work much better than the standard eGrip coils.
I love my Evods but I've done some simple modifications to make them into my type of vape. Doesn't sound like you're interested in that sort of thing. Rewicking and drilling holes and such.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Have you tried the Aspire BVC (non-nautilus) coils in your Trusty Ole eGrip? Great vape! Even the GS Air coils fit perfectly in the eGrip and work much better than the standard eGrip coils.
I love my Evods but I've done some simple modifications to make them into my type of vape. Doesn't sound like you're interested in that sort of thing. Rewicking and drilling holes and such.
Ever tried the same thing with the T3S?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Have you tried the Eleaf GS Air line of tanks?

I'm sure the folks in this thread would be glad to educate you on them

Eleaf GS Air Fan : Part 2

Yup. The best plug and play MTL tank on the planet. The Eleaf GS Tank is my favorite, but I like all 4 of them. :)

Nothing wrong with Kanger clearos (Aerotank, Emow), either, especially with those new cotton coil heads. Subtank mini V2 also works very nice as an MTL device.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Yup. The best plug and play MTL tank on the planet. The Eleaf GS Tank is my favorite, but I like all 4 of them. :)

Nothing wrong with Kanger clearos (Aerotank, Emow), either, especially with those new cotton coil heads. Subtank mini V2 also works very nice as an MTL device.
Yes the Sub Tank Mini is very versatile. From tight MTL to moderate clouds all from 1 tank. However the coil that comes pre-installed in the RBA deck did not suit me at all. Too hot. I put a 1.1 ohm 28 ga 2.4 mm Kanthal coil in there and am loving it.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I did have a Nautilus Mini but I gave it to my dad. I'm thinking of getting another one since it was the only one I had. I actually do have some GS Air tanks and have used both the GS and BVC coils in my eGrip before. Currently, I'm pretty satisfied with the CLR coils in my eGrip, but I'm not sure why I gave up on my old GS tanks. I'll revisit them.. I think maybe the coil I had in there got gunked up and I also didn't like the juice inside so I just didn't vape it for a long time.

The Subtanks do provide a pretty nice smooth lung hit, I'm using a nano on my Ego One with 0 nic. But it kinda hurts my throat when I try to do a lung hit with some nic in it. I mainly just want a great MTL. But yea.. I think I'll get another Nautilus Mini anyways. I just popped my old GS tank on and it hits pretty nice actually.. I will need to get some new coils though.

What is it about the sub ohm tanks that makes it so it can't give a good MTL hit? I know the airyness is the main thing but even when I cut the air off low on those tanks, it just doesn't do the same. The coils too but even when I use higher ohm coils, it doesn't quite get there. The Kayfun has my personal favorite draw and tightness. I just wish manufacturers would make more tanks suitable for MTL vapers and not keep making tons of sub ohm tanks!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I am not MTL any more and it's hard to beat a Nauti if you want replaceable coils. Let me suggest an Anyvape Davide. I had several of them back in the day-- probably still do, come to think-- and they are a top drawer tootle puffer tank. But really, if I was going to do it, I'd probably buy another Nautilus.

Reactions: David Wolf

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
The triton coils are compatible with the nautilus too. Another +1 for the nautilus, i tried the subtank mini cause everyone was all about it... Went to nautilus again. Now nautilus, kabuki, kayfun.

Theres also the kabuki which uses nautilus coils but is nicer looking, solid metal, wider airflow options and amped up flavour. Still mtl completely, just pushes those nautilus coils further.

Reactions: aikanae1

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I am not sure what I seem to be doing wrong with the Subtank mini but I cannot get any good flavor out of them.
Mine give decent flavor. You also get better flavor if you use a narrow bore drip tip vs the one that comes on them.
I have run a 1.2 vertical coil at 12-14 watts with good flavor. The .5 does not give as good flavor and I suspect that a Kayfun will give better flavor but mine taste as good as a Lemo2. But it does not MTL nearly as well.

jensy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada
Mine give decent flavor. You also get better flavor if you use a narrow bore drip tip vs the one that comes on them.
I have run a 1.2 vertical coil at 12-14 watts with good flavor. The .5 does not give as good flavor and I suspect that a Kayfun will give better flavor but mine taste as good as a Lemo2. But it does not MTL nearly as well.
See I normally use 1.8ohn so I was using the 1.5 and just couldn't get anything decent. Maybe it is the 1.5 or just quite possibly me.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Annoying.... The nano drip tip fits on the Nautilus perfect but the Nautilus drip tip does not fit on the Nano - too wide at the base.

The Nano tip on the Nautilus is just too wide to enjoy and the NAUTILUS Mini is my favourite tank so that confirms that a more narrow drip tip with the Nano might make it a usable tank.... now, where to get one from...?

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I did have a Nautilus Mini but I gave it to my dad. I'm thinking of getting another one since it was the only one I had. I actually do have some GS Air tanks and have used both the GS and BVC coils in my eGrip before. Currently, I'm pretty satisfied with the CLR coils in my eGrip, but I'm not sure why I gave up on my old GS tanks. I'll revisit them.. I think maybe the coil I had in there got gunked up and I also didn't like the juice inside so I just didn't vape it for a long time.

The Subtanks do provide a pretty nice smooth lung hit, I'm using a nano on my Ego One with 0 nic. But it kinda hurts my throat when I try to do a lung hit with some nic in it. I mainly just want a great MTL. But yea.. I think I'll get another Nautilus Mini anyways. I just popped my old GS tank on and it hits pretty nice actually.. I will need to get some new coils though.

What is it about the sub ohm tanks that makes it so it can't give a good MTL hit? I know the airyness is the main thing but even when I cut the air off low on those tanks, it just doesn't do the same. The coils too but even when I use higher ohm coils, it doesn't quite get there. The Kayfun has my personal favorite draw and tightness. I just wish manufacturers would make more tanks suitable for MTL vapers and not keep making tons of sub ohm tanks!
This is pretty much a personal preference thing. I've got GS airs, subtank mini, kayfun lite v2 (great flavor) but my goto tanks are 3 nautilus mini's on isticks with the 1.6 ohm vocc's for ease of use, flavor and reliability. I'm in the same boat as you in wanting to try other similar MTL tanks and have kabuki clone on order and a triton2 mini on my list when it becomes available without the odyssey mod. If I like the kabuki clone then I will consider investing in the original, good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread