The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Where is your Sweet Spot on the Kick?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Cowboy Cru, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Just dropped my Kick in my Bolt and am trying to figure out where my "sweet spot" is? I am used to using my Lavatube, so I haven't been vaping 3.7, but rather about 4.5. I have done the math to figure out where my watts should be to compare to that, but it is still a little off. Was wondering where a lot of people seem to vape their watts at? I think I heard one time that 6-8 watts seems to be the average for most people. Thanks a ton in advance!

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

2. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Mine is set between 7 & 8 watts. The slot is aiming strate at the center post.

3. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I think you are just going to have to experiment.

One thing that might be causing this though is if you are using dual coil cartomizers, either in a tank or stand alone. The kick will read those cartos as 3 ohm and not two 1.5s.

PBusardo did a great review on the kick and if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. He goes into a decent bit of detail as to why dual coils aren't a good match with the kick. Brings out the meters and everything. You can google him or search youtube.

4. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Yea, right now I am rocking mine right at 7. It seems if I go much above that I get a tad of a burning taste. Even though the Kick shouldn't really do that. I am surprised at how touchy the slightest turn on that screw dial can make!

5. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    You have that backward, the kick will read that DCC as being 1.5 ohms instead of being two 3 ohm coils.
    DCC's are wired in parallel, so the total resistance is half of the resistance of each leg.

Add:
    The kick doesn't have the ability to produce a burning taste, or any taste for that matter. That is simply a function of the resistance of the atty/carto being used in conjunction with a specific voltage supplied. So if anything gives you a burning taste, the solution is to turn it down.

6. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Ha, I do have it backwards. If it read it correctly at 3 ohms, it would work I guess. I'm no electrician that's for sure.

7. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Yea, these are all great points. Thanks guys. For some reason, and I know it might sound wierd, I can't dial in the same taste and all as on the Lavatube even using the same carto and juice. The other wierd thing is, it seems as if I get more vapor production from the Lava. But I also noticed what seems like a tighter draw woth the Bolt/Kick than the Lava. Maybe I am not sucking hard enough! Lol.

8. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    The battery plus kick is only a power source. Are you using the same juice and delivery system? Tight draws are normally related to the delivery system. If your carto isn't getting enough air though, maybe the attachment made to the bolt is too tight.

The kick's one drawback really is that you've got to take the device apart to adjust it. I suspect once you find it though, there's no more fiddling.

9. Liv2Ski

Liv2Ski Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    Hey Cowboy - I have several Kicks and I do run what I affectionately call my "ghetto Bolt" with one. I use two extenders with a Panasonic CGR18650 batt. I run the unit at the 8 - 8.5 mark (slot at around the 1 o'clock position) and use a slotted Iken fusion carto in a VPX tank. The Kick really needs IMR batts to perform as designed. A nice lube job with Noalox on those bolt threads will also help. Happy vapes

10. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    You know, it's funny you said that cause I had issue's with some carto's not screwing in to the Bolt. However, after a few "forceful" tries they are going in now, but tight on the last few turns. I am hoping it will eventually sort of wear loser. Is there any fix for that? Although, I have been told the Lava has an "airy" draw. So, I don't know?

11. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Yea, I lubed it up real good with my ox-guard that came with my Lava, but it is still tight at the last few turns. So I tend not to tighten it all the way cause it is pretty tight draw and hampers my vapor production! Which sucks! I wonder if I got a crappy connector on the Bolt? I too am using 2 ext. and an AW IMR 18650 batt. It seems like anything above 6.75 watts gives me a bunish taste. But I use 50/50 juice at 24mg and a 3ohm carto. I feel like the taste is ok at 6.75 but the TH isn't there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

12. Liv2Ski

Liv2Ski Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    You could try changing the ratio. 50/50 maybe a little thick at a higher wattage if you are taking 6-8 sec pulls. For the Noalox I was referring to the threads on the extenders, body and cap. To solve the 510 thread issue you can use a 510 to 510 shorty adapter. Screw it in once and you have a nice clean set of threads for the carto. It will also extend the life of the top cap since you will limit the chance of cross threading.

13. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Good point about the shorty adapter! I should had thought of that. And yes, I do take 6-8 sec pulls. Never thought about the ratio being affected by that. I guess maybe it has something to do with it vaporizing fast enough for my pulls maybe? Problem is, I like a big cloud and hate to lose any VG. But if I go any lower on my watts I don't taste much at all and the TH isn't there. So, I guess PG being thinner works better at a higher wattage cause it can keep up?

14. sahilm

sahilm Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2010
    New Delhi India
    8 watts while using a 2ohm boge carto , hope that helps .

wishing you well
    warm regards
    Sahil.

15. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Thank You very much sir! Happy Vaping!

16. Unforeseen

Unforeseen Admin
    Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved from General E-Smoking Discussion to Assorted PV Topics - E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion

17. CloveHunter

CloveHunter Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    NYC
    8-8.5W on mechanical APV and 7-7.5W on electrical switch APV (like Bolt) with 2 Ω carto in tank.

18. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Cool, Thanks! Problem is I normally vape 24mg 50/50 juice from one vendor, but I was running low and didn't place an order because I got a bunch of free juice at a vape meet that is all over the place on the mixtures (some not even marked)! So, needless to say it is hard as hell for me to find a sweet spot right now. I am assuming it is the juice because I imagine that can make a difference. I vape my normal juice on 4.5 volts, but the 6.75 watts that that equals out to seems to be too low. But when I bump it up to even 7 I get a burnt taste! Driving me crazy! Lol. Maybe it is the switch thing and I need to go higher? I thought the Bolt was all mechanical?

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

19. Cowboy Cru

Cowboy Cru Moved On

Mar 24, 2012
    Oh yea, I am on a 3.0 carto so thats how I came up with 6.75 watts.

20. CloveHunter

CloveHunter Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    NYC
    I know, it doesn't make any sense, right? 6.75W IS 6.75W. But give 2Ω cartos a try - Kick doesn't work really well with 3+ Ω cartos and even tho your cartos said 3Ω, it could be 3.2 or even 3.4Ω (measure it if you can) and that could kick the Kick (no pun) wacky.

Bolt has wires to connect the switch to battery & connector, so personally I put it into 'electrical switch' category and no it's not 'all mechanical'. Mechanical doesn't need wire for the switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.