Where there's SMOK there is fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was checking out the x priv and I like the looks of it, but am concerned after watching several smok mods sizzle out on you tube. Is it because so many are sold? Or are they garbage?Thanks for your thoughts.
Have you read this thread? Why is Smok so popular?

Personally, I'll never use another SMOK mod, from a personal as well as business perspective. I've been pretty negative on SMOK on this forum for 3 - 4 years now.

SMOK has been able to cleverly saturate the online and B&M market with their products. Because of this, just about everyone who vapes has heard of SMOK (name recognition). They have been able to mass produce their products so that they are inexpensive to most vapers just getting their feet wet with their first regulated mod. Their design department has been able to innovate flashy designs with many color options, and their marketing department is second to none. Unfortunately, SMOK has been lacking in the quality control department, and their customer support is non-existant. Their motto might as well be, "We make cheap. You buy cheap. It break. You buy another."

I think @ScottP summed it up best in that thread:

"SMOK is popular for three reasons. First they are mass produced cheap products so more people are willing to try something at a lower price point. Second they do have some good looking products that are visually appealing to many folks. Finally they are GREAT at marketing. Everyone has heard of their brand, and they are in just about every single vape shop and online store.

Unfortunately, due to the fact they are mass produced and cheap they also lack a bit in QC. Historically they have a 20% to 30% failure rate. While NO ONE, not one single company, in the history of manufacturing has ever achieved a 0% failure rate, SMOK is a bit on the higher end of that spectrum. Still, as a buyer you have a greater probability of getting a good one than a bad one from SMOK, and your probability of getting a bad SMOK product is a bit higher than many other brands."
Having said that, SMOK has many faithful customers.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Everyone has their pet peeves, I guess. I don't have a smok mod mainly because I don't sub0hm and they have had a reputation for SOME issues. I think it was worst right before deeming (the first one) it seemed like everything was failing and etc.

I think some of the newer smok offerings are getting slightly better reviews. But, many of the folks buying them are cloud chasers, looking for something new and exciting and etc. I don't think they're exactly built for durability, it's the "potential to blow up" part that worries me most. They are ubiquitously everywhere, for sure, but the vaping market is large and wide.

I feel similarly about Kangertech, I probably wouldn't buy another one, but that's not because they're necessarily a bad product. I seem to be able to break KT products by looking at them, so I figure I'll leave them for the folks who really like/want them.

But, it's something you have decide for oneself. I have a few favorite manufactures, like Teslacigs, but Teslacigs aren't for everyone. My only real DNA mod is a Steamtuners mod, and it just looks... well, I like it but not everyone wants a quarter circle brown leather mod with brass fittings all over it, however it vapes and etc. LOL.

Anna

Mike F

Apr 28, 2018
I was checking out the x priv and I like the looks of it, but am concerned after watching several smok mods sizzle out on you tube. Is it because so many are sold? Or are they garbage?Thanks for your thoughts.

They're garbage. I have had three smok mods. The t-priv, alien and mag and had problems with all three with two of them breaking totally. Stay away.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Is it because so many are sold? Or are they garbage?
Both. There's a bigger number of people reporting failures but the products are also sub par and overpriced for what they are. Every last penny has been squeezed out of their hardware and they heavily invest in marketing and outer design/appearance. Shops I personally know the owner have reported terrible return rates, most of those have stopped selling SMOK products altogether for that reason.

If you want to make the car comparison, it's not that they're not a Ferrari, it's that they're the bare minimum of what you could call a car. For exactly the same money you can get better mods.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you want to make the car comparison, it's not that they're not a Ferrari, it's that they're the bare minimum of what you could call a car. For exactly the same money you can get better mods.

yugogv1-758x593.jpg

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Both. There's a bigger number of people reporting failures but the products are also sub par and overpriced for what they are. Every last penny has been squeezed out of their hardware and they heavily invest in marketing and outer design/appearance. Shops I personally know the owner have reported terrible return rates, most of those have stopped selling SMOK products altogether for that reason.

Couldn't agree more. For the life of me, I can't understand it myself. SMOK probably has more than their portion of the market share. But there are a LOT of good companies and mods available these days at great prices.

I've got a pair of Procolors, but it will be my last SMOK mod. The only issue I've had is they dent the ends of my 18650's, and I don't like that. However, I can spend the same amount of money (or less) and get a much higher quality product.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I never had problems with any of my Smok mods so far and they surely get the job done.
But it's the same as with all cheap mainstream products. You'll never ever get a Ferrari for the price of a donkey.
Never heard it put like this. But i too have a smok mod that hasnt given me any problems whatsoever. And tanks too for that matter.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread