Where to buy a decent buffing wheel/machine and supplies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
There are hand held random orbital buffing machines but these are mainly for larger applications. It really depends what you want to use it for I suppose as these will not work for polishing small precision pieces which I assume is your intended use? (For Reference Griots Garage makes a good random orbital).

I'm not sure about good quality bench grinders which might be what you are after?

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't know what the advantage of an actual bench buffer over a bench grinder actually is. I have an el cheapo ryobi 6 inch bench grinder that I haven't been able to kill. For as much as I use it I don't think the thing will ever die. I know there are buffing sets for it.

I assume real buffers have variable speed and the way the arms are on the side you can polish stuff faster. But if you're not doing high volume a regular bench grinder + buffing combo for it might be more then enough. Plus you an always use it as a bench grinder.

I do all this small stuff by hand or with a dremel. I've had really good luck with stainless using some of the dremel polishing stuff including the 520 bit. It's already full of silica carbide and a cooling solution. On low speeds it does a very good job on stuff that's a little heavier then just surface scratches. I will admit it's slow but for the small amount of stuff I do it's sufficient. The fine stuff I tend to do by hand.

Last edited:

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
All you need is a 6" bench grinder and buy the buffing wheel separate. It will polish anything you would like. Cotton wheels buff the best. You need a bench grinder to buff well, because you need the torque, you need to generate a certain amount of heat and friction for the process to work well. There are bench grinders with longer shafts made just for buffing but they cost a bot more. Harbor freight carries one and it should last just fine for a homeowners use. There is also different types of wheels and compounds. I use tripoli compound for brass and a soft wheel. For stainless I use a firm wheel and a white compound forgot the name. Check youtube for videos and I'm sure you can learn much more than what I can explain typing. Good luck.

Karlos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Prague, CZ
Or you can buy a buffing wheel with center shaft and use a drill machine as bench grinder.

Here is pic of me polishing a folding knife I made:
(I do all polishing this way)

wvx5de.jpg

crispysaturn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Hazleton, Pa
I just bought some buffing wheels for my dremel and a new dremel. All came to under $60. Tested it out on the bottom of my silver bullet and it works fantastically.

Used the red rouge the polishing wheels came with to get scratches out first. Then used some mothers mag polish and a clean polishing wheel on the dremel to polish it. Then hand buffed. Worked well. Gonna keep practicing before doing anything gg.

Any pointers out there??

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
If you have a dremel or dremel like device try a 520 bit from dremel. It's a small polishing wheel with silica carbide and some lubrication built in. It's a good way to get started and you don't have to mess around with cutting compound as it already has all you need inside the bit.

That being said do not practice on your GG stuff...lol. Grab a stainless steel spoon or knife from your drawer or even an old stainless steel watch and try the bit out. It's pretty hard to mess up but you should get the feel of it on something else first.

RCXD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
SG
If you have a dremel or dremel like device try a 520 bit from dremel. It's a small polishing wheel with silica carbide and some lubrication built in. It's a good way to get started and you don't have to mess around with cutting compound as it already has all you need inside the bit.

That being said do not practice on your GG stuff...lol. Grab a stainless steel spoon or knife from your drawer or even an old stainless steel watch and try the bit out. It's pretty hard to mess up but you should get the feel of it on something else first.

Nice...going on a dremel bit hunt now.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Just so you guys know when buffing with Rouge (Tripoli) or white diamond you need to be wearing respiratory protection, that stuff is nasty and will destroy your lungs.

Everything fun is bad for you. Metal dust, wood dust.... yes wood dust. If your looking to polish a tube type mod a dremel would get you by it would just take a while. If your making something from raw materials and want to polish that a bench mounted type is the only way to go. I first wet sand my metal to remove bigger scratches and make it as smooth as possible. I start with 220 grit and work my way up ending with 1000 grit or 2000 depending on what Im polishing. Then tripoli for brass or aluminum or white for stainless. Wear leather gloves as heat is generated. This is taking dull smooth metal to a chrome or polished finish. If you already have a shiny finish all you need is liquid polishing compound and a cloth. Flitz is good semichrome polish is very good. Once polished try renaissance wax to keep the shine. Many of these polishes are available at woodcraft stores or woodcraft.com. Foredom,Baldor all excellent tools but they are not cheap.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
MrGreen, I agree, all fun things are bad for you! Wood dust is no bueno! That's why I wear a 3M Adflo PAPR system when I do woodworking (and any polishing) I didn't quit smoking to ruin my lungs with other particles. The Baldor buffer was said somewhat tongue and cheek, but they do make the rolls royce of industrial grinders/buffers (fitting for the GG :D)

Safety is important and breathing Tripoli or white diamond is a good way to support your local respiratory therapist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread