The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Where to buy VG & PG in Oz?

Discussion in 'Australia - New Zealand Forum' started by webofsound, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. webofsound

webofsound Full Member

May 22, 2009
    Tasmania
    Hi, i just wanted to know if the Oz wide 'chain' supermarkets sell VG, and if so what brand do you recommend buying. Also, is it possible to order or buy PG from local chemists.
    Thanks in advance

2. jim420

jim420 Moved On

Mar 18, 2009
    Tobacco State (NC)
    I can't speak for your local stores (I'm quite a distance from there) but you can get food grade VG and PG on Ebay Australia and/or Ebay US. Sure, you'd have to wait a bit for the post, but you could be buying a large quantity.
    Just thought I'd throw that out at you.

Jim

3. webofsound

webofsound Full Member

May 22, 2009
    Tasmania
    OK, yep..thanks Jim for your input. I saw one seller of VG on Ebay Oz. It looks like a bit of a "backyard operation" though. ie. when i see bottles of anything with labels that look like i could of printed em with my dot matrix printer in 1986, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. ;)

There's no PG on ebay Oz, and i bet would cost heaps to ship from the States...and i wonder about customs too??

4. jim420

jim420 Moved On

Mar 18, 2009
    Tobacco State (NC)
    Good move. LOL
    You sound like you should visit my thread, do a lookup on "Insults"

5. bauway
    This message by bauway has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, May 27, 2009, Reason: spam.
    May 27, 2009
  6. cucurucho

cucurucho Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm not sure where to get PG, but I get my VG from the local supermarket. It's labelled 'Glycerine'. Find it in the baking supplies section. Brand name is Queens, who also make the flavours I use :)

I've decided that I'd rather use PG if I can find some though. The VG is a little to thick, and doesn't wick out of the carts properly.

7. ilovetokidoki
    This message by ilovetokidoki has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, May 29, 2009, Reason: Spam, Supplier posing as member.
    May 29, 2009
  8. webofsound

webofsound Full Member

May 22, 2009
    Tasmania
    Cool, thanks for the 'heads up'...i've only seen Queens brand essence flavours at my local Coles baking section, will try Woolies or others. Is there a diff between Vegetable Glycerine & just "Glycerine"?

...just thinkin off the top of my my head, but might be worth seeking out a good Gourmet type food store, for a better range of this kinda stuff...i'm only recently in Tassie, so not sure what we have here.

9. webofsound

webofsound Full Member

May 22, 2009
    Tasmania
    PS. have you made any inquiries at your local Chemist regards obtaining PG?

10. Spirat Sol

Spirat Sol New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I have a question, are there Australian equivilants of the LorAnn flavorings?

11. cucurucho

cucurucho Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Spirat,

The only thing I've found is Queen food flavourings. You can use a few of these, but not all of them. Check the ingredients. If they contain no sugar, and first two listed ingredients are 'water, propylene glycol', then it will be fine to use.

I've used chocolate, orange, coconut, rum and strawberry.

12. thatguy3000

thatguy3000 Full Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I've found a source for PG and am happy to resell it. The minimum amount I can purchase is 20L, so I have a fair amount to spare :p

13. darkmonk

darkmonk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey guys :) Just bought myself a 510 kit and some juices. Just waiting on delivery. Cant find any Glycerine in the local supermarkets. Might try the local chemist.

thatguy3000 what sort of price you looking at for the PG?

14. tonic

tonic Full Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Australia
    Hi Darkmonk

You can but glycerine at your local chemist, and if you want PG they can order it in, mine sells 500ml of pg for $33. Hope that helps

15. Perpuk

Perpuk Full Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Interesting. I did not know it was available here in 500ml. I will ask my local if he can get some. I have used the same chemist for years so if he can get some I should be OK. I was just worried he would ask what I wanted it for.

VG is easy. Most Chemists stock Glycerol BP . From what I can work out this is the Commonwealth equivalent of USP - so pretty pure. I also have the Queen Glycerine, but to be sure of purity the BP version might be the best bet.

Re Queen's flavourings, just read the labels. Also, be careful of the concentration. I thought they would be weak compared to the US "LorAnn" (which is candy/chocolate flavouring so very concentrated), but they can be surprisingly strong. I have found that a drop or two mixed with tobacco flavours, VG etc. can give you a realy nice, strong flavour. I am thinking that maybe Australian flavourings are more concentrated than American - maybe like the beer? (Joke?). Even those with oil (and be careful - natural often means oil eg. almond) are probably OK in very, very, very, very small amounts. Even colours won't hurt too much if you are very careful. Commercial juice is often coloured.

If you want LorAnn try local chocolate ingredient suppliers. All us vapors could give a much needed boost to those small businesses!

Off the point - I just got some EcoPure Fresh & Krystal from the UK. This is expensive compared to Chinese stuff. I think it is VG. Amazingly they appear to have the viscosity just right. Adding a few drops of Krystal to one of my mixes really improved the flavour, draw, vapor - just about everything. Must be the viscosity! Need to match it somehow.

The Ecopure Fresh is also very smooth - a bit like Kent?? Of course none of this is anything like analogues. I have only been vaping since Monday. I chain vape when at home (thank God for the USB passthrough) as I am weaning off over 30 years of cigs. My lips feel like, well, glycerine - same thing that is in lip protector, QV skin cream etc. Plasticky? chemical feeling - woops - still looking for the cigarette lighter.

Off the point - I just got some EcoPure Fresh & Krystal from the UK. This is expensive compared to Chinese stuff. I think it is VG. Amazingly they appear to have the viscosity just right. Adding a few drops of Krystal to one of my mixes really improved the flavour, draw, vapor - just about everything. Must be the viscosity! Need to match it somehow.

The Ecopure Fresh is also very smooth - a bit like Kent?? Of course none of this is anything like analogues. I have only been vaping since Monday. I chain vape when at home (thank God for the USB passthrough) as I am weaning off over 30 years of cigs. My lips feel like, well, glycerine - same thing that is in lip protector, QV skin cream etc. Greasy chemical feeling - woops - still looking for the cigarette lighter.

A final PS. I got my Eco Pure from e-cig shop. The Krystal had a useby date of January 2010. I queried this, they apologised and said they would send another. Thank heavens these places have good customer service. We cannot just pop round to the corner store for our supplies in the great downunder becoming a nanny state!

16. Perpuk

Perpuk Full Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Woops! I really mucked up that post - but I cannot yet edit. Sorry about the repeats etc.

17. darkmonk

darkmonk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I got a 100ml bottle of Glycerol BP and a couple of dropper bottles from my local chemist today. Just got to wait for my kit and juices to turn up in the next few days now. :thumbs:

18. Psyc

Psyc Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I only tested Vanilla Essence and Brandy Essence, but neither was particularly strong. It may just be a flavor thing, since I haven't tried any others yet. I think these are the ones everyone ends up using: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

19. gizmo

gizmo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2008
    Australia
    Yep thats them,the one dram bottles,bought Vanilla butternut/Bavarian creme & Licorice,some came from the states,some from Western Aus..ebay.

Really nice in cream on a pav too. :D

20. mazza

mazza New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Australia
    You can buy Glycerine at Coles and Bilo - brand is Fauldings Glycerine 200ml is $8.87. From memory it is in the medicine aisle with the eucalyptus oils / paracetamol etc.

21. MrDismal

MrDismal Moderator ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 21, 2009
    Australia, Melbourne
    Can someone give me a run down on why you'd want to buy Glycerine in bulk? Is it to maximize the throat hit or for just mixing your own?

22. tonic

tonic Full Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Australia
    I use it for making my own no nic cartridges and for cutting with nic eliquid .

I usually buy 24mg nic eliquid flavoured or unflavoured then cut that to 12 or 6 depending on when I plan to smoke that flavour. It works out a lot cheaper for me to do it this way and I don't have to import as much nicotine eliquid which seems a good thing considering packages are starting to be opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.