Where Can I Get A......? where to find a ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Keegan, I have a truck, and some of the standard China USB car adapters won't work since the voltage out of the car's plug is different (12v). I ended up finding one at Harbor Freight (cheap) and also one at Walgreens (double USB ports on it) for about $11. Both work fine in my Explorer Sport Trac.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
My PT works perfectly from my computer and the cig lighter in my truck works as well, but of the three different USB cig lighter adapters rated at 5V/1A I've tried, none of them will power my 801 OR my 510 PT.

I wonder if I tried a 5V/2A would it work?

I doubt it - you're not getting power. I know sometimes you have to turn them in the socket to get power. Some have a light to indicate the power is on. Perhaps try them in someone else's car - just to eliminate possibles.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Kent - she's getting power, but the standard car USB adapters are a lower voltage and won't work in a truck. I ordered some from China once. They didn't work in my Ford truck but will work in my Chrysler 300 just fine to power my passthrough. I bought a 12v and it works great in the truck.

HippyGirl, if you have a truck, you have a 12v outlet so need a 12v DC adapter like I showed in the link above. What you are buying from China is a lower voltage rating (5v). It will work in a car, not a truck.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent - she's getting power, but the standard car USB adapters are a lower voltage and won't work in a truck. I ordered some from China once. They didn't work in my Ford truck but will work in my Chrysler 300 just fine to power my passthrough. I bought a 12v and it works great in the truck.

HippyGirl, if you have a truck, you have a 12v outlet so need a 12v DC adapter like I showed in the link above. What you are buying from China is a lower voltage rating (5v). It will work in a car, not a truck.

Ah... I remeber you telling me that before now. That's still odd though. I know that JD recommends 1amp or more and many of the ones sold don't have that - they are mainly for chargers that need sometimes as low as 100ma or usually 300 -500ma.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I think what you are recalling is JD recommendiing a USB wall plug for use in the house (wall wart they are sometimes called). iPod USB chargers work perfect since they are 1.5amp. Those wall warts need to be at least 1.5 amp and 5v for most passthroughs plugged into those to run on house wall plug current. BTW if anyone needs one for the house, this one is cheap at $1.95, made incredibly well and is 2 amps (I bought a bunch at that price) USB Dual Power Adapter to run out of the house.

Car and truck voltage is different out of the their accessory plug/lighter.

Also, unplug the USB adapters from the source before you shut off your vehicle/start up your vehicle. You'll burn them up quick if you don't.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hellen A. Handbasket:I think what you are recalling is JD recommendiing a USB wall plug for use in the house (wall wart they are sometimes called). iPod USB chargers work perfect since they are 1.5amp. Those wall warts need to be at least 1.5 amp and 5v for most passthroughs plugged into those to run on house wall plug current.

But (disregarding the truck situation for now) most car plug are also so rated - the ones I have anyway the dual Belkin 5v/1amp and it runs stuff well in the car vs. the 5v/500ma.

BTW if anyone needs one for the house, this one is cheap at $1.95, made incredibly well and is 2 amps (I bought a bunch at that price) USB Dual Power Adapter to run out of the house.

Great piece at a great price. I have 4 ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread