Where to get a carto punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrephunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Montauk - NY
I am looking to buy a carto punch but the only one I have been able to find is the one on COV(Looks like a ring with a screw in punch) The problem with that is it doesn't punch the smoketech cartos with the flange and I have a ton of those but have been having trouble slot cutting them(Always end up with flooding) Can someone please link me to something. Thanks

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I have used the saddle valve and it does work well for about 20 cartos. It gets dull quickly IMO

I have been using an awl and a hammer for months and it works well. I leave the condom on my DC so that it does not slide around. 3 quick taps and I have a perfect hole. The awl is a stronger metal than a nail and will not dent the cartos. There is also a thread in the PIF section on how to make your own carto punch.

Good luck.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I use the carto punch I describe here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/272989-diy-carto-punch.html

It works fine with flanged cartos. I use ikenvape fusions, here's a thread where someone posted pictures: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/278125-marks-easy-carto-punch-fusions-awesome.html

A $5 hub from Drillspot (free shipping), and a couple of 1/4-20 sheet metal screws. A handful of the screws will run about $6 from Rivet (I bought a box of them). Remove existing 1/4-20 set screw with a 1/8" allen wrench. Insert sheet metal screw. You now have a homegrown punch. Screws are easy to replace, no fiddling with the clamp part of the saddle valve, no needle sliding off center.

(The saddle valve works, just not for me. I actually slotted for a half year before deciding to do the DIY punch.)

I'm surprised the COV one doesn't work -- the hole goes above the flange, in the main body of the carto. Carto slides into the hub mouth end first. Unless the whole carto is extra wide, it should be good. If you do have an extra wide carto body, you can go to one size larger hub, DrillSpot also carries a 7/16" iron hub, about $1.50 more than the one I posted, again free shipping, which I use to punch IO6 atty sleeves (http://www.drillspot.com/products/156362/Lovejoy_68514410419_Sintered_Iron_Shaft_Coupler_Body)

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I think why some people have issues with saddle valves is probably because some are hardened tips some not I believe (or maybe some are hardened better than others with better metal). A good hardened one would probably last a lot longer. I'm sure they sell really inexpensive ones because they are probably only used once most of the time.

I would pull the tubes off and use my Dremel style rotary tool to make hole, wash the tube and put it back on if I wanted holes in poly-filled cartos. I use CE2's so I slot them instead by pulling the tubes off, slotting, washing and then putting them back on. It's pretty easy with a little practice and when I need to replace the insides I use the already slotted tubes again usually...

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
CE2's in a tank sweet. do you have a pic of your setup, and possible a list of what you use

I used this Pro DCTank Tube (they also sell the plastic end cap ones in clear and smoke black for $4.65) I have them in 3.5ml and 6ml and these 510 CE2 Cartomizer XL I use the 2.4ohm ones..I slotted my CE2's with this Wel-Bilt Rotary Tool Kit — 131-Pc with a cutoff wheel..that tool is on back order though but there are a lot of inexpensive Dremel style rotary tools out there. The pic below is a CE2 in a 6ml tank :)

CE2 in a tank.jpg

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
I used this Pro DCTank Tube (they also sell the plastic end cap ones in clear and smoke black for $4.65) I have them in 3.5ml and 6ml and these 510 CE2 Cartomizer XL I use the 2.4ohm ones..I slotted my CE2's with this Wel-Bilt Rotary Tool Kit — 131-Pc with a cutoff wheel..that tool is on back order though but there are a lot of inexpensive Dremel style rotary tools out there. The pic below is a CE2 in a 6ml tank :)

View attachment 91340
That's awesome...I wish I could do that

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I think I will head over to harbor freight in search of a dremel tool then. I like the idea of using a ce2 rather than a polyfill carto in the tank though I've not tried the tanks yet but just ordered one. So slow speed will make a decent hole? I've got a bunch of old tubes laying around, guess I will practice. I would think using a ce2 would largely do away with the need to prime a carto.

Where are you putting the hole in the tube?

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I just noticed in your photo up there looks like you are using metal ce2's?? Is it your opinion that those work better than the plastic ce2's in tanks? They look better.

I'm not even sure the newer thicker plastic CE2's would fit in a tank but slotting them with a dremel would be easy as pie even on a slow setting..I use cutoff wheels. Even the stainless tubed XL CE2's I use the cutoff wheel goes through it almost like a butter knife through butter.

Another option with CE2's is you can just cutout most of the center of the tubes just leaving enough at the bottom to go into the tank and a piece at the top just long enough to go through the tank into the rubber cup of the CE2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread