The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Where to get cotton wicks from

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Mrskoon1, Oct 25, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mrskoon1

Mrskoon1 Full Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Florida
    Hey guys I'm tired of my protank either burning or flooding so I've decided to "attempt" to make my own coils and stuff I've heard the best place to get wire is tempo even though I'd perfer to find a place nearby like lowes that offeres it. So question is where to get cotton wicks and what size also same for wire I see all these different types like 30 gauge and 32 and 34 so which is best for protank

2. xSoyer

xSoyer Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 15, 2013
    Ashburn, VA, USA
    Cotton wicks are generally made from sterile or organic cotton that has been boiled. You can get organic cotton balls at CVS. then you just make the wicks yourself.

I have heard of people using cotton yarn (or something to that effect) from the good old wally-mart as well.

3. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I rebuild my own Protank heads using .30 AWG Kanthal and 2mm silica wick (with a 1mm flavor wick). No flooding. No burning.

With cotton, you have to be careful and remember not to dry burn.

4. Mrskoon1

Mrskoon1 Full Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Florida
    With the silicon wicks do I have to dry burn?

5. jacksjack

jacksjack Full Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    The cotton balls I use is from CVS. Sterile Cotton balls in a box. $3 for a box. I don't have a protank, but I use this on a kayfun lite. Just make sure you don't fire the coil when you have the cotton wick in it. Put juice on it.
    [ IMG ]http: // i43.tinypic. com/2dtqk2w. jpg [/IMG ]

Attached Files:

6. TastyKakes

TastyKakes Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2013
    Philadelphia
    I've recoiled all my protanks and evods using 30g kanthal micro coils wrapped around a 1/16 drill bit. Peaches and creme yarn from Walmart has been the most consistent for me. The yarn has 4 strands; I just remove one and it fits perfectly then, depending on the pg/vg ratio of your juice, the extra strand can be used as a flavor wick if necessary. I like the yarn best because it takes the guess work out of "how much is too much" when pinching of pieces of sterile cotton balls.

7. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Not on first use. After that you can dry burn when the coil gets gunked up. Works very well.

8. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Only if you're cleaning them after they've been used.

9. RightCoastVap

RightCoastVap Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I Have used the CVS sterile cotton balls and they work fine. I am currently using organic cotton from Walgreens, Studio 35 Beauty is the brand and they have been working really nice.

10. Sthur

Sthur Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2013
    Denver
    Like tasty I use 30 gauge wire and make micro coils around a 1/16th bit. Coil now is running at 1.9 ohms. Works and hits like a champ. I use cotton too, boiled it and made a single wick through center, assemble post, cut ends to fit, and add rubber cap.

Don't dry burn cotton and give a few non fired hit to draw juice into coil. Then fire away.

11. RightCoastVap

RightCoastVap Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Yes do not dry burn cotton please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.