Where were you 50 years ago this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
When you saw this on your TV:

3vtRxUg.jpg

Many (most?) of us here are old enough to have seen it as it happened. Do you remember where you were and who you were with?

My uncle and I were camping on the shore of Lac de Neuchâtel in Switzerland. Needless to say, we did not have a TV. But when we heard the news on the radio, my uncle promptly decided to find a place that had one.

So: Where were you?

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I was almost 8. The whole family watched the launch, and gentle touchdown on the moon, late at night for us. IIRC there was a gentle firing just before the touchdown. I was laying on the ground, head propped up in my hands. It seemed forever before Neil Armstrong awkwardly got out and walked on the moon.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

3vtRxUg.jpg

Many (most?) of us here are old enough to have seen it as it happened. Do you remember where you were and who you were with?

My uncle and I were camping on the shore of Lac de Neuchâtel in Switzerland. Needless to say, we did not have a TV. But when we heard the news on the radio, my uncle promptly decided to find a place that had one.

I can Remember it Clearly. It was a Family gathering around the B/W at my Grandparents House.

The thing I remember so Clearly was my Grandfather getting up as we All Cheered and walking towards the back of the house. As he passed me, I could see a Tear run down his face.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    At that time I was eight years old. I was totally mesmerized by anything space related. I can remember being squashed in bunches around TV sets watching space launches and stuff. very exciting times...when the program of the moon landing was on the Teli...everyone was watching. The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming. Looking back, I have to wonder...was it real? Did we really send men to the moon and back to earth? Was this all just a grand hoax? Why haven't we gone back time and again to exploit whatever may be available there? Why can NASA only go to low earth orbit today? What about them Van Allen Belts??? 50 years and zero progress in interplanetary travel...WTF gives here?!!?!?! Maybe it was just a grand hoax to try to bankrupt the Russians?!?!

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

3vtRxUg.jpg

Home, in Buenos Aires, watching it as my mom did some chores. I was young enough to remember it vaguely (5 or 6)

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    I was four years old and was sent to bed being assured I would be woken up to watch the landing. I wasn't so I missed it. I remember afterwards looking up at the moon and could see an astronaut (four year olds call em spacemen) on the moon. I forgot about that after a while, and remembered it years later.

Obviously it was a dream or a figment of my imagination but it amused me then, and still does, that I didn't seem to realise that at four years old. I carried a resentment for quite a while that I hadn't been woken up.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    At that time I was eight years old. I was totally mesmerized by anything space related. I can remember being squashed in bunches around TV sets watching space launches and stuff. very exciting times...when the program of the moon landing was on the Teli...everyone was watching. The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming. Looking back, I have to wonder...was it real? Did we really send men to the moon and back to earth? Was this all just a grand hoax? Why haven't we gone back time and again to exploit whatever may be available there? Why can NASA only go to low earth orbit today? What about them Van Allen Belts??? 50 years and zero progress in interplanetary travel...... gives here?!!?!?! Maybe it was just a grand hoax to try to bankrupt the Russians?!?!

There's nothing on the moon to exploit.

Reactions: ENAUD

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I was just a trainee gaffer at the time, I was just kinda floating around goofing off, drinking coffee, chatting up an intern and making jokes with the prop guys.
    Stanley K got sick of me disrupting everyone and gave me the job of holding the camera as Neil's stand in climbed down the ladder.
    So yeah, pretty memorable occasion for me, the moon landing.
    Time really does slip away quite quickly.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread