Which adapter for a Vamo V2 to protect threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
Hey all,

After long last, my SS Vamo V2 finally arrived from Mars....I mean Hong Kong. And so far (only opened the thing up about an hour ago), I'm loving it. Big step up from the Twists and Spinners I've been using for the last 5 months or so.

But in the interest of increasing life expectancy, I think I'm going to go with what seems to be the community consensus and get an adapter to protect the threading on the thing. Already felt like I had to tighten the ProTank more than felt comfortable (did that once and will not be doing so again) and the beauty ring that came with the ProTank (legit, not the FT or any other knockoff) just doesn't work at all.

But I is confused.

So my question to all you fine folks is: which adapter? airflow? 510-510? Something else? And which one specifically (like, from which vendor....and please don't suggest FT...my poor heart can't stand the wait).

I use the ProTank and EVODs like 95% of the time, though there are some lingering T2s and the smaller of the Vivi Novas that get some play now and again. I'd prefer not to have to swap out adapters frequently, as that would defeat the purpose, right?

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
I have the air flow adapter that I use on 510 protank but I'm not really impressed with it. The treading on my adapter is pretty sloppy and the tank doesn't fit snugly. The adjustment ring is slick and hard to adjust. I find when using 510 to 510 adapters that the adapter tends to come off with the tank when I unscrew it so that defeats the purpose. On my ego threaded tanks I like to just lightly screw them directly to the Vamo.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
I've never really used the adapter for thread protection but rather for more airflow with carto tanks:

V2 510 Shorty Extension- Unsealed

CAM00082.jpg

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
I use the beauty ring that came with my Vision Vivi Nova. Provides enough spacing that I can't overtighten and fills the gap nicely. Also provides nice support. Works great with the Protank.

I'd saw you mention that in another thread and tried it...but then realized you must be talking about the 3.5ml Vivi, right? Because I have the smaller one, and the beauty ring I have for that one A) almost gets lost in the Vamo, and B) doesn't seem to allow the protank to catch....

Unless I'm stupid and doing something wrong, which I always reserve as a possibility. In all things.

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
By the way, I've noticed that all of my tanks (of any persuasion) tilt slightly to the right....making the "fully engaged" Vamo look sort of bent at the top. This doesn't seem to be affecting the functionality, but it makes me wonder if it might lead to problems down the line. Is this something I should be concerned with? Return/replacement worthy? Chalk it up to crappy QA in the sweatshop? Am I just being anally retentive?

hilly2k2

Feb 10, 2013
North Cackalaka
I bought the protank and it works fine..I'm happey with it.

But the beauty ring that came with it is useless..what is it for because it doesn't fit the vamo as an adapter.

Maybe I'm missing something..what is it for ?

Thanks

Works on Ego batteries (twists, spinners, etc.). Useless on a Vamo, though.

Cactuar

Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
USA
I tried both an airflow controller and a 510-510/ego adapter. Both pushed down my center pin so I stopped using them. I was also worried about damaging the threads but I've been changing tanks like it's my job and everything seems to be ok. Make sure whatever tank you're using is being threaded properly and you should be fine. I doubt you can over-tighten it without trying.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Last edited:

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
By the way, I've noticed that all of my tanks (of any persuasion) tilt slightly to the right....making the "fully engaged" Vamo look sort of bent at the top. This doesn't seem to be affecting the functionality, but it makes me wonder if it might lead to problems down the line. Is this something I should be concerned with? Return/replacement worthy? Chalk it up to crappy QA in the sweatshop? Am I just being anally retentive?

They just didn't get the 510 connection quite level. I've been running an original LavaTube like that for about a year and a half. Nothing to worry about IMO.

sailense

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Pago Pago, AS, USA
I'd saw you mention that in another thread and tried it...but then realized you must be talking about the 3.5ml Vivi, right? Because I have the smaller one, and the beauty ring I have for that one A) almost gets lost in the Vamo, and B) doesn't seem to allow the protank to catch....

Unless I'm stupid and doing something wrong, which I always reserve as a possibility. In all things.

Yeah, it's the 3.5ml. It overlaps the top of the Vamo so doesn't actually thread down all the way.

You can do the same thing with the Protank beauty ring by not screwing it in all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread